Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta Constantly Moving out of the Cruising Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Did a 4 hour round trip drive yesterday and I have to say that I hate how the FSD beta doesn't have an option to stop Auto lane changes because it constantly wanted to go from the highway cruising lane into the passing lane when no one was in front of me. It must have done it about 20 times! And then when it got dark I kept getting an FSD degraded notification saying one or more camera was occluded, yet the headlights and fogs being on gave enough light for not only the front cameras but the repeaters and pillar cameras, even the rear camera could see fine. Oh and the there was the ghost vehicle that kept showing on the drivers side. This was with FSD beta v11.3.6 and I'm still not impressed. And it's still a nightmare in the city with lots of traffic.

"Minimize Lane Changes" stops pretty much all unwanted lane changes, even under Assertive mode. I tend to have this on in most situations, except for casual rural light traffic 4+ lane roads. It works well for me.
Minimize Lane Changes stops ”unnecessary“ lane changes, but in my experience the car often think it needs to change lanes to follow the route when it really isn’t necessary. Still, having Minimize Lane Changes enabled is a definite improvement.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Really, I think the lane changes in "assertive" are pretty ok on highways around me in general, but:

1. When traffic gets thick (think everyone going <15mph on a 75mph road due to traffic), I have to flip on "minimize lane changes" so that it doesn't act like an impatient asshole pointlessly changing lanes at every opportunity trying to get ahead in traffic in what is clearly an unwinnable situation. Probably Average or Chill does better at this by default, but I find those way too shy in normal traffic, so Minimize Lane Changes is the easier option for dealing with these situations.

2. While in Assertive, it stays in the left lane a little /too/ much, to the point where I've sometimes had to either turn-signal or completely take over to get out of the way of faster cars. It used to be better about that. Part of the problem is the artificial 85 limit, though. The real driving speed in light traffic on some highways near me is closer to ~95 in the fast lane. I don't really care /too/ much if they never move the limit beyond 85, but the car has to understand that other traffic will want to go faster and it needs to get out of the way (even in Assertive, even when at the speed cap).

Sounds like you are in Assertive so change to Average or better Chill and you can even select Minimal Lane Changes using the wheel button.
Nope, it was set to Average and then I set it to Chill. But that doesn't explain why it would even want to move into the passing lane, when no cars were in front of me. Because legally you aren't supposed to be cruising in the passing lane on the highway, unless you are passing vehicles.

Reactions: beachmiles
And then when it got dark I kept getting an FSD degraded notification saying one or more camera was occluded, yet the headlights and fogs being on gave enough light for not only the front cameras but the repeaters and pillar cameras, even the rear camera could see fine. Oh and the there was the ghost vehicle that kept showing on the drivers side.
This isn't normal, and a phantom vehicle can cause significant problems with ADAS functions. When the conditions show this again, press the voice button and say "bug report". Note the day/time you took it and then open a service ticket and reference the report so the techs can look at the telemetry logs and see if there is a problem. Let them know the circumstances when you fill out the service ticket.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Nope, it was set to Average and then I set it to Chill. But that doesn't explain why it would even want to move into the passing lane, when no cars were in front of me. Because legally you aren't supposed to be cruising in the passing lane on the highway, unless you are passing vehicles.
Did you try Minimize Lane Changes? It will NOT change lanes unless it is required.

The reason is likely because this is the first generation on FSD Beta driving on Interstates. It will take a few updates before FSD Beta can match all of NoA basic behaviors.

• Disagree
Minimize Lane Changes stops ”unnecessary“ lane changes, but in my experience the car often think it needs to change lanes to follow the route when it really isn’t necessary. Still, having Minimize Lane Changes enabled is a definite improvement.
So this definitely depends on individual cases then. For me, I can think of only one case where it changes lane when I feel it shouldn't once this setting is turned on. And I'm pretty sure it's a mapping error since it does that at the exact same spot each time. Other than this, it is very solid for me.

Last edited:
So this definitely depends on individual cases then. For me, I can think of only one case where it changes lane when I feel it shouldn't once this setting is turned on. And I'm pretty sure it's a mapping error since it does that at the exact same spot each time. Other than this, it is very solid for me.
I agree that it’s a mapping error, because when it happens to me I see the “changing lanes to follow route” message, and it happens consistently at the same spots.

There were no "changing lanes to follow route" thing, although that happens frequently too and I figured that was a data mapping thing. My issue happens out of the blue with no warning, no phantom vehicle being shown in front on the display. And yes I did try using the minimize lane changes. It just wants to keep my car in the passing lane for some reason and often it will just stay there, unless a car comes up behind me in that lane. Before FSD beta worked on the highway, there used to be a settings option to stay out of the passing lane (unless passing), but now that option isn't there. And there used to be an option for confirmation to do a lane change, that's gone too. At one point it kept wanting to move into the passing lane at least 5 times within 30 seconds with no vehicles in front of me and all I could do was hit the turn signal to try and stop it or turning off FSD beta. And yes, I did report a verbal recording when turning off the beta. But this issue makes it no fun to use on the highway.

The lane changes are speed based. If you are going over the speed limit, it will want to "get in the faster lane".
But not if Minimize Lane Changes is enabled. Once you’re in a lane, the car won’t change lanes unless it thinks it needs to in order to follow the route. That also means it won’t move out of the passing lane once you’re there.

• Disagree
But not if Minimize Lane Changes is enabled. Once you’re in a lane, the car won’t change lanes unless it thinks it needs to in order to follow the route. That also means it won’t move out of the passing lane once you’re there.
That's not my experience. If a car is going really slow, it will still pass with minimize lane changes.