Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again- city streets is NOT a public wide release.

If it REACHES public wide release before AP2 cars have all been retrofitted (or those that bought FSD have anyway) I'll grab a pitchfork and torches right along side everyone else and yell about it.

But you have no right to pre-release test versions from simply having bought FSD. That was never part of your purchase.

There's no "whims" involved.
Sure, it is not public wide release (as in it is not going out to all automatically) but anyone with 1/4 brain can get in so easily... that it kind of almost is.
Some kid that just received the car last week with the crappiest lowest score can just opt out/opt in, get on the highway and drive 100 miles wit autopilot on, park the car for a couple of days and boom they are in. That's not that limited anymore. They went from 2000 users for a year to 15000 in just a couple of weeks.

And the fear is that since they are giving it out like candy on Halloween, the moment someone does something stupid they'll put it back on hold.

That's what makes it frustrating. Some of us early adopters got into the safety score on day 1 and were actually maintaining a high score for many many miles to then find out a month later that we were not eligible.

After all the testing they have been doing, no one in the FSD program was aware that our cameras could not be used?

Who knows.

Sure, it is not public wide release (as in it is not going out to all automatically) but anyone with 1/4 brain can get in so easily... that it kind of almost is.
Some kid that just received the car last week with the crappiest lowest score can just opt out/opt in, get on the highway and drive 100 miles wit autopilot on, park the car for a couple of days and boom they are in. That's not that limited anymore. They went from 2000 users for a year to 15000 in just a couple of weeks.

Tesla has sold north of 2 million cars (the vast vast majority of which are AP2.5 and up). 15k is pretty far from general release.... (is that an official # BTW? or just a guess from Teslafi percentages?)

And the fear is that since they are giving it out like candy on Halloween, the moment someone does something stupid they'll put it back on hold.

That's what makes it frustrating. Some of us early adopters got into the safety score on day 1 and were actually maintaining a high score for many many miles to then find out a month later that we were not eligible.

FWIW I -do- have empathy for the folks annoyed they wasted time on the safety score with HW that couldn't qualify. That's absolutely something they should have communicated earlier.... but that's annoying. It's not stage 4 cancer like some folks are making out here.

After all the testing they have been doing, no one in the FSD program was aware that our cameras could not be used?

Who knows.

Now- it's possible Tesla thought they'd be able to make it work using software filters on the camera inputs--- and only just now is giving up on that and resorting to HW upgrades.

It would hardly be the first time Tesla was "sure" given HW would be "enough" and then it turned out not to be once they tried to make it work. (HW2->2.5->3, with 4 coming next year and almost certain to be required for L4)

(it's also possible they'd originally only been deploying to the newest cars too and so hadn't even tested AP2 stuff for a long while- remember this is the company that just got caught with a bad update because their test cars rarely go to sleep- which obviously the general fleet does a lot)

I agree we can't know for sure "when" they knew this upgrade would be needed with current info though.

But rather than appreciate they CAN upgrade the HW (and will get to do so for free) on a 5 year old vehicle, some folks are whinging about how they'd rather drive a crappier non-upgradable car that have to WAIT A LITTLE BIT for the free HW upgrades on their $100,000 sedan and OMG THE SUFFERING.

THAT I don't have a whole lot of empathy for.

• Disagree
Reactions: hybridbear
Tesla has sold north of 2 million cars (the vast vast majority of which are AP2.5 and up). 15k is pretty far from general release.... (is that an official # BTW? or just a guess from Teslafi percentages?)
I said: "it is not public wide release (as in it is not going out to all automatically) but anyone with 1/4 brain can get in so easily..."

I spoke to several people that were not even aware it was possible to get in the FSD beta, didn't know about the button request, or simply didn't want it or care to try it.

Only reason they are not in is because they don't know or don't care.
A friend of mine has a M3 with purchased FSD, and he didn't know about the button.
I told him about it, and he opted in. After a few days I called him all excited asking him if he got the beta.
He told me nah, that score thing is pain and I don't care that much about it.

But at this moment, ANYONE that lives in the US with a Tesla made after August 2017 (with at least 1/4 brain) CAN get in the FSD Beta within 2 days of opting in if they wanted to.
So it is not that limited.

EXCEPT FOR US IN THIS GROUP!!

I have been watching every youtube FSD video for the past year, I have been emailing early access every other week forever begging to be admitted to the beta. Finally had a chance to the button and maintained a 100 score over many many miles.
Some of us really cared and wanted to be a part of the development of the technology.

So for me not knowing when they plan to upgrade the cameras and risking not being able to get in for whatever reason. is very demoralizing.

Last edited:
Guys, please. Let’s stay on topic about the camera upgrades for AP2.0 cars in regards to FSD Beta access.

@Knightshade Do you even still own an effected vehicle or are you just kicking the hornets nest some more? People have stopped participating in this thread because of the argumentative nature of your comments. If you aren’t going to help us and be supportive then PLEASE stop replying to this thread.

But at this moment, ANYONE that lives in the US with a Tesla made after August 2017 (with at least 1/4 brain) CAN get in the FSD Beta within 2 days of opting in if they wanted to.
So it is not that limited.

EXCEPT FOR US IN THIS GROUP!!

Also anyone outside the US.

Which is a much larger # of owners than the pre-2017 FSD owner group. So pretty limited.

Because again it's a limited beta- not general release SW.

I get you're bummed. I'm also bummed when a TV show I love is cancelled- a favorite restaurant closes (or even significantly changes the menu!)- or a video game I ordered is delayed.

But if this is in the top 10 things about the world actually demoralizing you you're better off than about 99% of the humans on earth.

Might be a perspective worth considering.

So for me not knowing when they plan to upgrade the cameras and risking not being able to get in for whatever reason. is very demoralizing.

As someone who has it- you're really not missing that much.

Where I live is fairly rural, and when I drive tends not to involve significant traffic... so it's mostly functional--- like it can get me from my house to the interstate without disengagement.....so long as you're ok manually dialing the speed up and down several times along the way because the system gets this badly wrong at several key places (including ones that it got RIGHT for speed limits without the beta BTW).

But unlike highway AP it's not better than not having it from a "let the car do the work" perspective at all.... and as soon as there's a significant amount of traffic, or any unusual situation or poor visibility at an intersection, it's.... much less fun than you seem to think it is.

Or... as a very wise person once noted:

You may find that 'having' is not so pleasing a thing after all as 'wanting.' It is not logical, but it is often true

Guys, please. Let’s stay on topic about the camera upgrades for AP2.0 cars in regards to FSD Beta access.

That's a pretty simple topic at this point.

AP2 owners need a camera upgrade. Tesla has not yet provided SCs guidance on the rollout of that upgrade- but we know it will be free to FSD owners once available.

Same situation everyone with pre-3 driving computers were in when HW3 became known about.

If you don't find an objective look at facts helpful, you're welcome to add me to your block list and stick to an emotional support echo chamber of course. Seems like it'd be less productive, but you do you.

@Knightshade Do you even still own an effected vehicle or are you just kicking the hornets nest some more? People have stopped participating in this thread because of the argumentative nature of your comments. If you aren’t going to help us and be supportive then PLEASE stop replying to this thread.
I agree 100%
@Knightshade You don't have a camera issue, why do you have to add insult to injury... it adds no value arguing why we shouldn't be upset

Back to topic, interesting how we all got the 36.5.1 pushed at the same time, I installed this morning and I really like to have the new charge features available in the app! Also on 36.5.1 "The button" is still there and the kWs are back on the energy circle...

So is it confirmed that 36.5.5 also still has "the button" ?

I'm surprised that @Art Vandelay got 36.5.5 before any of us (with the RCCC cameras) but it doesn't include the beta request...

Reactions: hybridbear
Back to topic, interesting how we all got the 36.5.1 pushed at the same time, I installed this morning and I really like to have the new charge features available in the app! Also on 36.5.1 "The button" is still there and the kWs are back on the energy circle...

I'm surprised that @Art Vandelay got 36.5.5 before any of us (with the RCCC cameras) but it doesn't include the beta request...
I have the 36.5.5 (right after 36.5.1) and that was the first time I got "the button"

Are you saying MCU2 and HW3 upgrades (from AP2.0) ? For sure we all are getting "the button" but not access!
Any MCU1/HW3 even getting the button?

Not all of us got a SW update. I am still on .22 Was on Wifi all night.

Last edited:
Are you saying MCU2 and HW3 upgrades (from AP2.0) ? For sure we all are getting "the button" but not access!
Any MCU1/HW3 even getting the button?

Yes, the main topic of the original post. I go over the MCU requirements as well.

What I do find very interesting is that 5.5 is coming with a button. It seems 5.5 is now taking FSD into account on the vehicle buildout and firmware release as 5.5 is releasing to EU vehicles but does not have the button however US vehicles with FSD still have the button on the same version.

Reactions: Nosken
Nope. The cutoff is actually March 2018. As originally shipped, vehicles between August 2017 and March 2018 can't even get the software updates that let you opt in, because they have MCU1. You have to pay to upgrade your MCU first.

As best I can tell from TeslaFi data, as of a couple of weeks ago, almost 99% of cars that originally shipped with MCU1 are ineligible to get the firmware that lets you request the beta, much less actually get the beta.

So this affects about 1% of people who upgraded from HW2 to HW3. The rest are ineligible for other reasons that must be corrected before the camera problem even becomes relevant.

Not all of us go a SW update. I am still on .22 Was on Wifi all night.

Yes, the main topic of the original post. I go over the MCU requirements as well.

What I do find very interesting is that 5.5 is coming with a button. It seems 5.5 is now taking FSD into account on the vehicle buildout and firmware release as 5.5 is releasing to EU vehicles but does not have the button however US vehicles with FSD still have the button on the same version.
My OTA updates come pretty fast as well. Once I opt'd out. I got 5.1 & 5.5 on the same day and within a few days of opt'ng out.

JMuxLkw.jpg