Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.3.2 on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t get the update yet, but I would be leery about using FSDb on the highway without lane change confirmations. On previous road trips, Navigate on Autopilot has tried to make lane changes that were invalid and dangerous, for example, trying to enter an express lane that was closed (gates down), and trying to leave an express lane that was separated by plastic poles. That’s why I’ve never disabled lane change confirmations.

Does FSDb let you disable NoA on the highway the way regular EAP/FSD lets you? In other words, is it still possible to use Autosteer on the highway when navigating but without NoA?

Reactions: evannole
The big problem with highway AP is that it holds the center of the lane no matter what. Truck in lane adjacent to you starts to drift into your lane, AP doesn't move. I have to take over often. If FSD V11 moves over on it's own, I will be thrilled. If not, then its really no better as far as I am concerned.
One thing I have found, and they list it as a feature, is that as you begin to pass a truck the car will move over towards the other lane to make some room. I tried it a few times and it did exactly that. As far as trucks moving into your lane when you are next to them, I don't have any experience.

haha!—happened to me, too. It's one of the 2 events that I cheerfully refer to as “times FSD tried to kill me”. The other one was similar: gate down on train tracks.
Happened to me multiple times on each road trip (driving on 95N). Some express lanes are bi-directional, and LED signs advertise whether the lane is open, but the car can't read those. I don't know if the car would detect the gate before colliding with it, but I'm not going to find out. When I have this issue, I have to disable NoA, because it tries to get back in the express lane at every entrance.

The brand new beta s/w does not have “nav on autopilot”, it just does it when you start the FSD or if it is on, when you start nav. It already tried to kill me today at a residential T-stop. After a nice stop at the stop-sign, it whipped the wheel left and right a couple of times, stomped on the brakes, then pulled right out in front of a car coming from the left. Totally clear view, 25MPH speed zone. Hopes dashed again :-( 2020 Model X.

I’ll try that former follow distance control. I never changed it away from 7 in two years! Tailgating is for chumps, a bad way to prevent a-hole drivers passing you on the right then cutting in front of you (gaining them a whole second or two ha ha).

Also, what is a “refresh” vs “non-refresh” X?

Last edited:
The brand new beta s/w does not have “nav on autopilot”, it just does it when you start the FSD or if it is on, when you start nav. It already tried to kill me today at a residential T-stop. After a nice stop at the stop-sign, it whipped the wheel left and right a couple of times, stomped on the brakes, then pulled right out in front of a car coming from the left. Totally clear view, 25MPH speed zone. Hopes dashed again :-( 2020 Model X.
Bob, I'm curious if your car did this behavior before the new beta s/w? I ask because my car has been a pretty bad child on FSDb, and given that Teslas all behave differently I expect mine will continue to be a brat with the new software. I have to keep a firm grip on the steering wheel, but when the wheel swings like you described, I turn off the beta.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It has never been trustworthy on unprotected left turns. The new version seems to be a lot more conservative waiting in a non-intersection 2-way facing left turn lane where the cars waiting to turn left in front of you block your view of the other oncoming cars. Before, it would try to kill you by starting a left turn, then whipping the wheel and stomping on the brakes right in front of an oncoming car. I’ll reserve my judgement till I have a lot more experience then report back.

I attribute other posts here to “hope springs eternal” 😎

I didn’t get the update yet, but I would be leery about using FSDb on the highway without lane change confirmations. On previous road trips, Navigate on Autopilot has tried to make lane changes that were invalid and dangerous, for example, trying to enter an express lane that was closed (gates down), and trying to leave an express lane that was separated by plastic poles. That’s why I’ve never disabled lane change confirmations.

Does FSDb let you disable NoA on the highway the way regular EAP/FSD lets you? In other words, is it still possible to use Autosteer on the highway when navigating but without NoA?
This is precisely what I want, for similar reasons. I want the new highway stack behavior - apparently smoother, nudging over for trucks, etc. - but do not want the car in charge of navigation and picking lanes. I've had NoA turned off for 4 years due to its inability to recognize the reversible toll lanes we have in metro Atlanta (it never suggests taking them, despite the fact that they're always faster), and its constant nagging to exit the HOV lane, which it apparently thinks is just the passing lane. (Yes, I have both toll roads and "Use HOV lanes" enabled, but it still tries to get me out of them 10-20 miles too soon.) The car does not seem to understand that the HOV lanes and toll lanes are significantly faster, whereas Waze does; if I let the car select my route to work, I'd often end up on pothole-ridden I-285 and have a commute at least 10 minutes longer than the one enabled by the toll and HOV lanes on I-75 and correctly suggested by Waze.

Hopefully the new highway stack makes its way to regular Autopilot / EAP before too long, and I can leave FSD switched off.

Happened to me multiple times on each road trip (driving on 95N). Some express lanes are bi-directional, and LED signs advertise whether the lane is open, but the car can't read those. I don't know if the car would detect the gate before colliding with it, but I'm not going to find out. When I have this issue, I have to disable NoA, because it tries to get back in the express lane at every entrance.
I didn't have latest 10.69 when that happened to me, but I'm pretty sure it would slam the gate. No speed reduction. I think it was I-95 for me too, going south to Myrtle Beach. Or back north, can't remember.

Another thing to get used to: Not being able to set follow distance.

On non-refresh X, the knob that adjusted follow distance lets me change fsd profile (chill, normal, assertive) and can toggle the minimize lane changes setting
That is a change that concerns me. I wonder if that function has just been moved somewhere else. I know my follow comfort zone might be a bit larger than most other people would choose

Reactions: evannole
I assume I will be presented with a software update soon that will give me FSD 11.3.2/2022.45.11 (I currently have 2022.44.30.10.) My worry is that I will install it and my heavily-relied-on autopilot will be compromised in some way. I spend about two hours a day in the car, and 90% is using autopilot on highways. (I rarely use FDB beta, but have used it on occasion and look forward to this update.) I think standard autopilot works miraculously well on highways, and have relied on it since I got my M3 in June, 2019. I would *hate* to install 2022.45.11 and have regressions that affect highway performance due to single stack issues. As soon as folks get the update, please post here with observations on highway performance? Is it as good as the 4-year-old separate-stack software? Better? Issues? Thank you!
Spend a bit of time on YouTube looking at the videos .. that should re-assure you.

That is a change that concerns me. I wonder if that function has just been moved somewhere else. I know my follow comfort zone might be a bit larger than most other people would choose
It did ok in heavy rain just now. Kept a good distance away from other cars. Will need to see more scenarios though.

On the streets, beta does a good job with distance for the most part. Hopefully after a few days on the freeway it feels normal, too.

I’d welcome some sort of comfort zone setting too.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056