Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2023 build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Just a friendly discussion on when will we finally get FSD for the 2023 build? The 2021 to 2022 build happened last year March 15th, and we are well past that date now. Just curious as my model X is on 2023.6.11.

Does anyone remember when 2022 branch came out, was it to the latest 2022 non FSD branch?

Hopefully soon, I just took delivery of an Ultra Red S and i'm rocking the 15k red light and stop sign feature. lol. I have been told to avoid all updates like the plague or I risk not getting it, but at this point I don't have any parking assist features and would at least like that(even if it isn't a perfect replacement to USS, something is better than nothing.) Seems like such an odd way of doing things with the builds being so far apart.

Another question is how HW4 fits into the current upgrade path, and does that mean there will be yet another branch?
Hw3 development will eventually be frozen, like cars that still have older MCUs…. Maybe you’ll be able to pay to upgrade to hw4, Elon said it was economically infeasible for Tesla to do… though I imagine if you got the cash Tesla will take your $$

Well, we now have the answer:

New question though: if we pay $200 for an FSD sub and opt-in to the beta, will we get it? Or is there some other mechanism involved - e.g. acceptance criteria, a delay in processing beta opt-ins, etc... Would love to try FSDb - but don't want to spend $200 for next to nothing.

New question though: if we pay $200 for an FSD sub and opt-in to the beta, will we get it? Or is there some other mechanism involved - e.g. acceptance criteria, a delay in processing beta opt-ins, etc... Would love to try FSDb - but don't want to spend $200 for next to nothing.

Yes, as a sub we should get it if it goes "wide".

Right now employees have it, then I presume a small number of youtubers, etc. So we may still be looking at ~1 month unless 11.4 is extremely smooth in the initial rollout.

Not if you are on a version higher than 2023.6.X

Here is my FSD beta strategy coming from 2023.6.11:

- Switch from advanced to standard updates
- Do not install any updates if prompted
- Wait until 2023.6.15 goes wide, and is clearly being pushed to 2023.6.11 USS-less vehicles
- Activate FSD sub and make sure beta opt-in is checked
- Switch back to advanced updates
- Cross fingers and pray that I didn't blow another $200

I think this is the correct order of operations. Let me know if anyone has a better plan.

- Wait until 2023.6.15 goes wide, and is clearly being pushed to 2023.6.11 USS-less vehicles

I think this is the correct order of operations. Let me know if anyone has a better plan.
This is an excellent plan. I would also add that it is probably better to be a little "late" to the party then early and burn $200 too fast. So I would wait until teslafi is showing runs of 1000+ pending update to this version before subscribing. Then you will have a much higher chance of getting in and using it for most of the month you are subscribing.

Reactions: E90alex

Why on earth is it so complicated?!? I guess I don’t understand why the branch is still necessary or why they don’t keep fsd ahead of the standard path so when someone wants in it’s a forward upgrade. I’m on hw4 and dont have the option for the beta until a future update so who knows what nonsense I’ll have to deal with to get it.

Why on earth is it so complicated?!? I guess I don’t understand why the branch is still necessary or why they don’t keep fsd ahead of the standard path so when someone wants in it’s a forward upgrade. I’m on hw4 and dont have the option for the beta until a future update so who knows what nonsense I’ll have to deal with to get it.
They need to use a well tested base so they don't have additional issues other than the ones they introduce with the FSDb code. It would be difficult to tell if they used a newly released base branch. This is also why they have lots of different releases out on cars.
Highly likely that will continue until they are getting close to replacing the main release of Autopilot with the new FSD style stack.

If Apple treated releases the same way that Tesla does:

Hi! I'm Tim Cook, and I'm excited to tell you about some amazing new features we've been working on!

Starting with an amazing new version of Facetime, available on IOS 16.2.24, which launches between 2 weeks and 12 months from now exclusively for customers with iPhones older than 2022 who are subscribed to full-iCloud. IOS 16.2.24 is our most advanced release to date - not to be confused with IOS 17, which we launched a few months ago. IOS 16.2.24 leverages the cutting-edge features of our oldest phones - it's so advanced that it isn't even compatible with our latest hardware!

Next, we have re-enabled voicemail for customers with 2023 iphones on IOS version 17.2.13! This is the first of three features that used to be available that we are now re-enabling for new customers. If you've ever used visual voicemail on an iPhone and thought "I wish this basic feature that worked on my previous iPhone would work on the new iPhone I just purchased" - well, now it sort of works almost as well as it does on our older phones! The calendar and calculator apps also might be re-enabled at some point within the next few weeks or months. Or not!

Oh... and one more thing.... Later this year - or maybe next year - we will be combining the best features of IOS 16.2.24 and 17.2.13 into a single version available to everyone! <audience gasps> Just make sure you have advanced updates disabled and avoid opting-in to any interim bug fix releases until such time as the yet to be announced version is available, which as previously stated may or may not be released this year or next.

Either way, make sure you are subscribed to full-iCloud to take advantage of all of these new features or none of them, depending on your phone.

Wow... this thread was such a shocker.

I just bought MX with HW4 couple of weeks ago (my first tesla). And, I am willing to give Tesla $15K more to try out FSD Beta. But, I have no idea when it will be available or it will even be possible to tell that FSD Beta is available for my vehicle when it is actually available.

What a mess. I can't imagine paying for any goods or services such high amount where there is such an uncertainty about actually receiving the said goods or services.

Osho

Reactions: MARKM3
Wow... this thread was such a shocker.

I just bought MX with HW4 couple of weeks ago (my first tesla). And, I am willing to give Tesla $15K more to try out FSD Beta. But, I have no idea when it will be available or it will even be possible to tell that FSD Beta is available for my vehicle when it is actually available.

What a mess. I can't imagine paying for any goods or services such high amount where there is such an uncertainty about actually receiving the said goods or services.

Osho

Exactly Osho. A lot of us feel the same way, including me. Anyone who drops 15k for FSD I question their judgement - only because of the FSD release path.

They would sell 5x more FSD if they were transparent about how and when things are going to be developed.

Currently, the subscription model is the best one. $200/mo and cancel anytime. If FSD stops giving you value then you unsubscribe. Easy peasy. At 15k, $200/month is 75 months or essentially beyond the average American's time to keep a car. FSD adds little value to resale and unfortunately it's not transferrable. Any new car and it has to be repurchased.

I'd imagine in 6 years HW3 will be very outdated and overtaken by HW4.0/4.5/5 if we look at Tesla FSD computer development. I'm sure HW3.0 will still have tremendous value, but who wants to own or pay 15k for software that works 200-600% better than HW3.0 on a HW4.5 car?

Last edited: