Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Automatic lane changes on crowded interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I-45 between Houston and Dallas is usually very crowded, 60 mph on right lane 80 to 85 Mph in left lane (no exaggeration). I prefer not to drive 85 mph (its illegal) If you get in right lane it will slow within a minute or so to 60MPH. Then you cant get into the left lane as they are bumper to bumper 85 MPH, no gaps. This is what makes the trip to Dallas stressful. You see what I'm saying? so my question is does the FSD auto lane changing help this situation. Does anyone have experience with this situation? I have watched videos of 40 mile trips with FSD and those were on 3 lane freeways with light traffic.

I-45 between Houston and Dallas is usually very crowded, 60 mph on right lane 80 to 85 Mph in left lane (no exaggeration). I prefer not to drive 85 mph (its illegal) If you get in right lane it will slow within a minute or so to 60MPH. Then you cant get into the left lane as they are bumper to bumper 85 MPH, no gaps. This is what makes the trip to Dallas stressful. You see what I'm saying? so my question is does the FSD auto lane changing help this situation. Does anyone have experience with this situation? I have watched videos of 40 mile trips with FSD and those were on 3 lane freeways with light traffic.

Help in what way? If there are no gaps in the left lane FSD isn't going to auto lane change over there, especially if the traffic is moving fast. It won't speed up above the speed you've set to make lane changes and squeeze into gaps.

Help in what way? If there are no gaps in the left lane FSD isn't going to auto lane change over there, especially if the traffic is moving fast. It won't speed up above the speed you've set to make lane changes and squeeze into gaps.
No gaps is an exaggeration on my part, it may be 15, 20, or 25 cars pass before I can get back over into the left lane. I suppose it would be some relief to just let FSD decide and handle when to get back in. Any experience with that?

No gaps is an exaggeration on my part, it may be 15, 20, or 25 cars pass before I can get back over into the left lane. I suppose it would be some relief to just let FSD decide and handle when to get back in. Any experience with that?

I usually turn auto lane change off, it often tries to change lanes when I wouldn't. For example, trying to get back in the right lane even though there's another car in the right lane that I'd be shortly passing and no one behind me that I'm holding up in the left lane. It also really takes it's time to make lane changes sometimes.

That being said, give it a try. A lot of my gripes are personal. Maybe you'll like it just fine. I will also say, that the software is constantly improving. It's improved noticeably in just the 4 months or so I've had m MY.

When I want to be aggressive in a tough situation, I do not use FSD. I take control and floor it.

Regarding automatic lane changes, when it gets somewhat crowded, FSD sometimes starts to change lanes and then aggressively swerves back. Hopefully this new FSD that EM has promised does better.

Few days ago I initiated a lane change, but there was another car going at the same speed behind me in the lane I wanted to go into. For me there was enough space to make the lane change, but the car did not for a long time (with indicator on), and I eventually decided to take over.

Lesson learnt is that if it's crowded, do not rely on FSD to change lanes.