Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta 1-month trial in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another try yesterday, and at a stop light intersection. We are allowed "right on red", unless there is a sign indicating otherwise. I was curious to see how my car would react, and I was "at-the-ready". Welp, the car started to accelerate and turn right, just as two other cars were crossing the intersection. I slammed the brakes and disengaged immediately avoiding a possible nasty outcome. Now, I may never know if the car would have reacted properly, but I was not taking chances.

It makes me wonder if Carrie Underwood, had a Tesla when she wrote the song, "Jesus Take The Wheel" 🤣

Reactions: mrElbe
Another try yesterday, and at a stop light intersection. We are allowed "right on red", unless there is a sign indicating otherwise. I was curious to see how my car would react, and I was "at-the-ready". Welp, the car started to accelerate and turn right, just as two other cars were crossing the intersection. I slammed the brakes and disengaged immediately avoiding a possible nasty outcome. Now, I may never know if the car would have reacted properly, but I was not taking chances.

It makes me wonder if Carrie Underwood, had a Tesla when she wrote the song, "Jesus Take The Wheel" 🤣
I feel the car needs to communicate better when it’s waiting for an opening. Perhaps even wait for driver approval, at least as an option. I believe this is mandatory in some markets anyway.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
I'm on 12.3.3

We did a Metrotown to Whistler trip and had 2 disengagements
- Heading to Whistler, in Highway 1, it did not switch lanes when the lane became an exit only lane to McGill St
- Heading back from Whistler, in Sea to Sky hwy, it stayed in the right only lane when we were supposed to go straight
- FSD loves to the passing lane. It only moves to the right lane when there is a faster car approaching from behind. I know this is just me being by the book but it makes me a bit anxious.

Other than that, it was a smooth trip. It doesn't detect the current speed limit (max was showing 80km when the current speed limit was 90km) in the variable speed corridor portions of Sea to Sky but it was able to keep up with the flow of traffic (95-105km) so Auto max speed was doing its job!

We also did a few drives around Metro Vancouver and the main issue are unprotected left turns. 50% of the time, it is either hesitant or doesn't move at all even when there are no cars. From watching videos on youtube, they've pretty much nailed this in California so we just probably need more time for Tesla to add more datasets.

Reactions: primedive
did you set it to minimum lane change? also use the stalk to change lane if you get stuck in a right only lane assuming it's safe to do so. My problem is it won't go to left only lane when turning left. Mostly happened in a newer intersection, so maybe it's map data related. Otherwise in a regular intersection it work just fine. I'm gonna try again next time on 12.3.4 if there's any improvement..

I haven' tried minimum lane change. I'll do that on my next highway drive. Yeah, I wasn't using the stalk to change lanes to see how it would handle it.

It goes to the left turn lane consistently so far. I think you're right with the map data not knowing the route yet.

Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: bolero
I noticed two issues.
1. When you are in a lane, and that lane is merging with the adjacent lane, it waits almost till the lane ends. May be a problem especially in high traffic and humans may not allow you to merge.
2. After reaching the destination it doesn’t always know what to do.

Regarding the speed limit, I think it is a setting. I had the + setting but tried the other setting (forgot the exact name) where it adjusts the speed based on road conditions/traffic. Promptly got a ticket for travelling at 70 on a 50 kmph Dixon road (near Pearson airport). I turned it back to + setting. Why Dixon has a speed limit of 50 Kmh (it is six lanes and empty) is another question.

• Informative
I noticed two issues.
1. When you are in a lane, and that lane is merging with the adjacent lane, it waits almost till the lane ends. May be a problem especially in high traffic and humans may not allow you to merge.
2. After reaching the destination it doesn’t always know what to do.

Regarding the speed limit, I think it is a setting. I had the + setting but tried the other setting (forgot the exact name) where it adjusts the speed based on road conditions/traffic. Promptly got a ticket for travelling at 70 on a 50 kmph Dixon road (near Pearson airport). I turned it back to + setting. Why Dixon has a speed limit of 50 Kmh (it is six lanes and empty) is another question.
It's interesting because most Americans complain that auto-max is too slow, but the US in general seems to have high suburban speed limits. I switched back to manual offset because auto max goes way too fast in 30 km/h residential zones.

Reactions: cdswm3
Auto-max went from driving ~100km/h in 90km/h zone into a 60km/h construction zone...car recognized the speed limit as it showed on the graphic. Auto-max continued at 90km/h for maybe 400m until it came up on other cars that were going ~68km/h. Stayed behind them for a little and then changed lanes to pass and brought the speed up to 75km/h. This was on 12.3.4, Chill and Min Lane Changes selected.

Auto-max has some work to do as it certainly likes to speed in a lot of places. But on more residential streets it does pretty well. Except in the 30km/h school/playground zones. In those it usually is going too fast.