Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta 1-month trial in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive this morning!

While in the right lane I felt as if the vehicle was hugging the right side. Maybe I drive to far on the left ?
I was not confident enough at my first left turn so I took over, I need a few more drives to gain some confidence.

FSD drives defensive so you need to prepare for that

Reactions: KevinT3141
Main concerns from my one drive on some admittedly at times odd country roads and a small town:
  • It goes very close when passing parked cars, even if there is space to go wider. I'm always wary of people opening doors as you pass.
  • Doesn't avoid potholes at all and where I am this is pothole season as the damage from winter appears.
  • It goes very close to the edge of the road surface where the edge isn't clear (country roads). This is also where the most potholes are.
  • Froze at a junction where you have to almost switch back on yourself to do a left turn.
None of it is a big deal. Lots and lots of very good stuff.

Got the trial this evening . Went for 30 minutes drive. It slow down for the speed bump. Got stuck in 30 Kph after passing the school and play ground zone. I have to increase the speed using the scroll wheel since there no other speed sign to revert back to 50Kph. while waiting to turn left the the directional blue line disappeared, the car won't move even though it's green and no incoming traffic, I took over. also disengaged when I was turning right. it was too close to the curb. the corner was too dark, there were no street light. I don't want to risk it. overall its smooth and good.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Have driven few kms and its pretty good, it does take round about in a way that I wouldn't LoL but other than that mostly good. Oh and today it went straight from a right only lane phew I think it still has scope for improvement but by and Large I like it.

Now waiting to see how much the subscription would cost which are promised to be available before the end of trial :)

• Informative
Is anyone in Canada getting the trial with a 2021 Model Y (version with USS)?? I still haven't received it yet.
I got it on a 2022 with USS. I already posted elsewhere but at least for me, it has not been the revolution that others have been experiencing. Way too fast on residential streets, fails to yield right of way and selects the wrong lane a lot of the time. FSD has some work to do in Canada.

While the trial is active, I’ll keep trying it out and posting feedback to Tesla. Hopefully these problems are not completely intractable and we can see some good progress with more training on their side.

After a few drives I've realized I can not use FSD frequently
I do think Tesla should monetize the EAP better

Focus on making long highway drives more comfortable with auto lane change option.
I would pay for this feature but the current EAP price is way to high
Totally agree. Although FSD has potential and is getting better. It has to be 99.999% perfect to be useful. A slightly better AP would be far more useful to me.

Got my first drive this afternoon, from my home to a car wash a few kilometres away and back. On my way out, everything was perfect. At one point when we were in the right lane the delivery truck in front of us stopped and double flashed its lights. My model 3 waited for a few cars to pass by to our left and then changed lane when it was safe and passed that truck. Pretty impressive. But, on our way back, the right lane we were in turns into a right turn lane while we were supposed to go straight. The model 3 kept going straight in that lane… I took over the last minute when we were in the middle of the intersection to avoid crashing into the curb… Kinda surprised Tesla hasn’t figured this out. I was very nervous the whole time. Not sure if I want to purchase the upgrade after this trying.

Got my first drive this afternoon, from my home to a car wash a few kilometres away and back. On my way out, everything was perfect. At one point when we were in the right lane the delivery truck in front of us stopped and double flashed its lights. My model 3 waited for a few cars to pass by to our left and then changed lane when it was safe and passed that truck. Pretty impressive. But, on our way back, the right lane we were in turns into a right turn lane while we were supposed to go straight. The model 3 kept going straight in that lane… I took over the last minute when we were in the middle of the intersection to avoid crashing into the curb… Kinda surprised Tesla hasn’t figured this out. I was very nervous the whole time. Not sure if I want to purchase the upgrade after this trying.
Yeah I had similar experience where it took a right only lane to go straight, luckily it wasn’t very busy so was safe to do so but was surprised at how it didn’t recognize that it was in a wrong lane

• Informative

Next time you drive in the same area you'll have to use your indicator to force FSD to change lanes.
It will do the exact same thing again if you don't

FSD must have been trained in Toronto on the 400 series 😆

Try again on very slow low traffic day
I used it for two ~40 minute trips on the weekend. In the local streets portion it performed pretty well aside from botching a couple of left turns. I don’t have confidence with it on the highway in anything other than straight line drives. I’ll try it once more and if it does something dangerous again i’m going to turn it off and switch to EAP mode.

Reactions: bolero