Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just happy to see @jebinc thinking about returning to the fsd program in his never ending vibrating Plaid. I placed a bet in Vegas whether I would get 10.11.1 first or @jebinc would try his hand at fsd again. Spoiler alert ⚠️ ... I lost the bet.
Either way, happy to see him in a fsd thread!
(I thought he was in prison the last few months, maybe not?)

I am just happy to see @jebinc thinking about returning to the fsd program in his never ending vibrating Plaid. I placed a bet in Vegas whether I would get 10.11.1 first or @jebinc would try his hand at fsd again. Spoiler alert ⚠️ ... I lost the bet.
Either way, happy to see him in a fsd thread!
(I thought he was in prison the last few months, maybe not?)

Prison? More like Tesla jail! I’m still vibrating along, @Ryan27, but on new forged wheels and tires! 🤣

21785956-BBC1-4B77-B093-5DFDAA33C88E.jpeg

Okay
248EC8D1-1F0B-47A2-9D08-63F31D181D61.jpeg

@WilliamG

Thank for the update. Curious if the speed bumps are all marked on the pavement with lines or markings?
I go thru a neighborhood that is about 3 years old and the speed bumps are not marked. Only once in one direction has FSD slowed down or visualized the bumps. I have reported this Tesla a couple of times and hoped the last map update might help.

My beta loves manhole covers in my area. It constantly swerves like a lunatic around them. Must think they are massive sinkholes or something. It doesn’t visualize them though.

On another note while I don’t have any speed bumps around me and know it seems them and displays them. What it DOESN’T do is slow down for dips. In our area we have massive dips around residential 4-ways and even some major streets. The car takes them at full speed and bottoms out if I don’t take over. It doesn’t visualize these either.

My beta loves manhole covers in my area. It constantly swerves like a lunatic around them. Must think they are massive sinkholes or something. It doesn’t visualize them though.

On another note while I don’t have any speed bumps around me and know it seems them and displays them. What it DOESN’T do is slow down for dips. In our area we have massive dips around residential 4-ways and even some major streets. The car takes them at full speed and bottoms out if I don’t take over. It doesn’t visualize these either.
Sounds about the same as when I opted out, after 10.3. What has improved in the last four month? Serious question.

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
Yeah I don’t know. It’s five and take. Two forward one back.

Something’s get better. Others get worse.

It’s a slow painful process. The more versions I go through the more time it seems like it will take to get to where we need.

+1 on not slowing for dips. I assume you mean something like gutters at surface street intersections. Even gutters that are of a different material/color than the streets (cement vs. asphalt). My S just rolls on as if the gutters aren't there (ie - no slowing down at all). Kinda hard on the suspension!

Reactions: Jackman and Ramphex
Sounds about the same as when I opted out, after 10.3. What has improved in the last four month? Serious question.
Not much. Maybe some more “ assertiveness” on “some” turns. Otherwise, nothing notable. I still can’t fathom why when the display shows “ a clear intersection” it still is “creeping for visibility ” and it takes a year to complete a maneuver?

Don’t get me wrong, I drive over 27,000miles a year, and use the beta whenever possible, but after monitoring the behavior since September/October, it’s like: what does it do this???!

The biggest pisser is, I have a delivery of a Y in May, which I paid for FSD upfront, and now, I apparently, have to “earn” a place in line for this magical software, after having it in my 2020 MY. That really $hits on my cornflakes… I get all the early adopters that are getting hosed because of cameras and such, but I have the “beta”, why can’t you transfer it to the new vehicle that I paid $12k to have the same “functionality” in???

Boy, 10.11 and 1011.1 must have a serious problem. It’s been weeks now and it still hasn’t been widely released. I saw an early video where it tried to turn into a parked car. Maybe this is the error they are having a difficult time fixing. Since in general it’s reported to be more reliable I would think they’d want to release it as soon as possible but they have to make sure any bugs they know of are eliminated.

Reactions: bizi
Thank for the update. Curious if the speed bumps are all marked on the pavement with lines or markings?
I go thru a neighborhood that is about 3 years old and the speed bumps are not marked. Only once in one direction has FSD slowed down or visualized the bumps. I have reported this Tesla a couple of times and hoped the last map update might help.
They are painted and have signs also

Since getting 10.11 I haven't seen a single speed bump visualized that were previously visualized on 10.10.2. It might still slow down to 17 mph but none are visualized. I estimate it detects approximately 50% of the speed bumps I encounter on my usual drives. I'm hitting the brakes on the others once I realize it's not slowing. On 10.10.2 I could slow sooner because I could see the speed bump not being visualized and know it wasn't going to slow down. So 10.11 is a regression in this aspect.

Most of the speed bumps in my area are marked with white chevrons both leading up to and on the speed bump. I find it detects much better at night since the white markings are really bright in the headlights.

Not much. Maybe some more “ assertiveness” on “some” turns. Otherwise, nothing notable. I still can’t fathom why when the display shows “ a clear intersection” it still is “creeping for visibility ” and it takes a year to complete a maneuver?

Don’t get me wrong, I drive over 27,000miles a year, and use the beta whenever possible, but after monitoring the behavior since September/October, it’s like: what does it do this???!

The biggest pisser is, I have a delivery of a Y in May, which I paid for FSD upfront, and now, I apparently, have to “earn” a place in line for this magical software, after having it in my 2020 MY. That really $hits on my cornflakes… I get all the early adopters that are getting hosed because of cameras and such, but I have the “beta”, why can’t you transfer it to the new vehicle that I paid $12k to have the same “functionality” in???
Yeah, that’s a raw deal. And for those that took delivery in December and later, they are still waiting, and playing the safety score game - with no end in sight (unless they just say, F it and bag the attempt and endless wait).

MY WIPERS ARE NO LONGER PHSYCO !! :)

I have been driving around in the rain all day and the Beta wipers are actually working right. 11.1 must have changed something. They have never worked this good in four years of driving an MS. I got the whole gambit depending on the severity of the rain.

Beta did good with the toll booths it slowed down as it approached. I do think this beta might be looking at the yellow caution speed signs. did 25MPH around a tight curve that was marked 25. It is still a little slow to react to them. It starts slowing down when it passes the sign. I did not look down to see if it was on my IC.

What it DOESN’T do is slow down for dips. In our area we have massive dips around residential 4-ways and even some major streets. The car takes them at full speed and bottoms out if I don’t take over. It doesn’t visualize these either.

This reminds me of something similar I've noted: when driving with NoA on fast highways (no FSD Beta yet!), I've come to understand that the car has no apparent conception of the angle of the pavement right in front of it, even though it should be obvious to the cameras. Normally the car is *very* good at centering itself in the lane. However, when driving at 80 on a highway curve with backwards camber (as in, the pavement tilts slightly to the outside of the curve rather than inwards), it inevitably slips to the outside edge of the lane, which is a natural consequence of physics if you're not anticipating the road angle. I've even had it do this with a car in the adjacent lane and my car end up placing itself way too close to the other car for comfort. I suspect the mental model of the FSD and/or NoA code more or less assumes all pavement is flat, and that's something they'll eventually need to fix!

I enjoy the recent comments about things FSD doesn't do yet, such as slow down for dips or handle camber properly (though you may want to try a camera recalibration to see if it helps). This tells me that FSD is getting better at basic driving and we're now discussing edge cases or more advanced driving scenarios. We just recently got speed bump recognition - so progress is being made.

Be excited for FSD progress, people! Things like dips, pot-holes, debris, camber, heavy construction zones, etc. will take time to incorporate. Tesla is still trying to get basic driving (well marked lanes, standard intersections, protected and unprotected left and right turns, and residential unmarked roads) locked down. Every update gets better. Then they'll start adding more advanced features, such as speed bump recognition. I'm sure pot holes will come soon as that's another big one for people. But I acknowledge that pot holes are tough to recognize for the visual systems and NNs - how to tell the difference between a pot hole and a shadow.

We'll get there - be patient and rejoice in how things are progressing! :)

Boy, 10.11 and 1011.1 must have a serious problem. It’s been weeks now and it still hasn’t been widely released.
Not really.

It looks like they are not "good enough" for wide release .... or looking at in another way - they didn't deliver the results the team was looking for.

If there was a real "serious problem" - they would have quickly rolled out a fix and upgraded everyone on 10.11 and 10.11.1.