Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any 10.5 users got 10.6.1 yet?
I'm still stuck on 10.5.

I wonder if how many miles you drive on each beta version affects your number in line to get the next beta?

The first time they staggered the release (10.3.1), I got it on day one. Then I didn't drive much, and got 10.4 on the second day. Drove even less, and got 10.5 on the last day.

I've been driving less overall, and even less on FSD, as it has put me in a few situations that left me with milliseconds to get out of. I'm now curating its use to times of very low traffic, which isn't often where I'm at this time of year.

Reactions: Iain and Taser8612
Here's what I see with 10.6.1. The car handles well with one lane roundabout but NOT double lanes. As soon as it enters a roundabout, it speeds up and change to a right lane. But then the right lane merge with left lane to exit. The car is so confusing! Don't know why it can't stay in its lane. Thought you are not allowed to change lane in a midle of roundabout (solid white line, not dash line)! Other than that, 10.6.1 also handles well at a intersection with flashing red and yellow light. In a neighborhood, car can see other cars parked on the street well. It uses high beams alot. Very sure other drivers are mad!
I had 10.6.1 execute a congested two-lane roundabout perfectly yesterday. But as we’ve all seen, that’s no guarantee it will happen again tomorrow. It is definitely evaluating left turn conditions faster and more accurately, IMO.

I too am embarrassed by the auto high-beam behavior. It regularly decides to shift to high and then a moment later senses oncoming lights and goes back to low. This is inevitably interpreted by the oncoming driver as me flashing my brights to signal them to turn theirs off which of course pisses them off and then they blast me with their brights until they pass. Ugh.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and T3M3T
I had 10.6.1 execute a congested two-lane roundabout perfectly yesterday. But as we’ve all seen, that’s no guarantee it will happen again tomorrow. It is definitely evaluating left turn conditions faster and more accurately, IMO.

I too am embarrassed by the auto high-beam behavior. It regularly decides to shift to high and then a moment later senses oncoming lights and goes back to low. This is inevitably interpreted by the oncoming driver as me flashing my brights to signal them to turn off theirs off which of course pisses them off and then they blast me with their brights until they pass. Ugh.
Funny you bring up the high beams. Last night I was driving my wife’s car that also has auto high beams and commented that it seems like everyone now has auto high beams because nearly every car was shining their brights in my eyes. I know my Tesla can be slow to switch beams but we are far from alone on this feature

Reactions: Richt and EVNow
I'm still stuck on 10.5.

I wonder if how many miles you drive on each beta version affects your number in line to get the next beta?

The first time they staggered the release (10.3.1), I got it on day one. Then I didn't drive much, and got 10.4 on the second day. Drove even less, and got 10.5 on the last day.

I've been driving less overall, and even less on FSD, as it has put me in a few situations that left me with milliseconds to get out of. I'm now curating its use to times of very low traffic, which isn't often where I'm at this time of year.
I’m also curious if the percentage of miles driven with a FSD/AP engaged is a factor. Since getting my Y in July 2020 I’ve tried to let it do the driving as much as possible. I don’t have a ton of miles but I always get the updates early.

Have any 10.5 users got 10.6.1 yet?
Teslafi says all 10.6.1 installs were from 10.6
Screenshot_20211212-112305_Edge.jpg

Reactions: Richt and K5TRX
Are there differences in 10.6.1 vs 10.6? We were on 10.5 and just a few days later updated to 10.6. 2018 Model X
View attachment 741671
Curious, how long have you been in the beta program? I'm trying to confirm my hypothesis, that based on Tesla's very understandable emphasis on driver monitoring, that only vehicles with cabin cameras are currently being invited to the program.
Other than the lack of the cabin monitoring, my score and the car's hardware meet the eligibility requirements.

Curious, how long have you been in the beta program? I'm trying to confirm my hypothesis, that based on Tesla's very understandable emphasis on driver monitoring, that only vehicles with cabin cameras are currently being invited to the program.
Other than the lack of the cabin monitoring, my score and the car's hardware meet the eligibility requirements.
There are a number (maybe a small number) of 2017 X cars in the beta, including ours, with no cabin camera. It really depends on when you met the requirements and when they opened the 'add more Beta people' windows, it seems.

Funny you bring up the high beams. Last night I was driving my wife’s car that also has auto high beams and commented that it seems like everyone now has auto high beams because nearly every car was shining their brights in my eyes. I know my Tesla can be slow to switch beams but we are far from alone on this feature
Absolutely. Infact I feel Tesla switches off high beams too soon compared to others.

Reactions: powertoold
Absolutely. Infact I feel Tesla switches off high beams too soon compared to others.
I have a Chevy and a Porsche both with auto high beams, and they are soo much better than my Tesla’s. They always turn off when another car becomes visibly far away. With the model 3, they just stay on until the car is significantly closer. I’m not sure why Tesla fails so hard at auto high beams while others have such good systems. It’s not like the rain sensing neutral net where others just use a simple rain sensor lol.

I have a Chevy and a Porsche both with auto high beams, and they are soo much better than my Tesla’s. They always turn off when another car becomes visibly far away. With the model 3, they just stay on until the car is significantly closer. I’m not sure why Tesla fails so hard at auto high beams while others have such good systems. It’s not like the rain sensing neutral net where others just use a simple rain sensor lol.
Why would you turn off as soon as another car is visible ? I want the road to be well lit - so it should stay on until it becomes bothersome to the other vehicle. I see many cars that switch off high beam after my car does - don’t know whether auto or manual. Ofcourse so many just keep it on ...

One thing to consider is - unlike other cars, Tesla is trying to see the lines and drive. Other car high beams don’t have to optimize for visibility.

The whole issue with high beams will go away in the US now that the regulation that prevented adaptive headlights is going away.

Please, Tesla, provide a retrofit option for purchase. They already demoed the tech at the Gigaberlin fair.

Why would you turn off as soon as another car is visible ? I want the road to be well lit - so it should stay on until it becomes bothersome to the other vehicle. I see many cars that switch off high beam after my car does - don’t know whether auto or manual. Ofcourse so many just keep it on ...

One thing to consider is - unlike other cars, Tesla is trying to see the lines and drive. Other car high beams don’t have to optimize for visibility.
Because it’s annoying to other cars. The distance threshold is not sensitive enough on Teslas. I feel like it’s always blinding other drivers. It may be because of optimizing for visibility thing you mentioned, but they also let you turn them off, and the behavior is the same even if you don’t have FSD so I don’t think that’s the case.

Reactions: Richt and K5TRX