Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta has no vision persistence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My radar-equipped cars show vehicles in front of the one ahead of me, even when they’re not visible (to me). Do vision-only cars not do that?

yes and no. if part of the car in front of the lead car can be seen, it will try to visualize it. This is particularly common if the lead car is a sedan, and the car in front of it is taller. Or, if there's bend in the road, the car will visualize multiple cars in front of the lead.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Safety score has all sorts of issues. The only way to get to 100/99 is to drive specifically aimed at getting those scores. Its more like gamification of driving.
it took me about three weeks, with a score of 99, to get the FSD beta. Some of my driving behavior was a bit abnormal for me, but nothing too out of the norm. But i think it had a positive benefit of helping me to reacquire the habit of driving proactively, not reacting to other drivers bad mistakes or lack of attention. Rather, anticipating that behavior and acting prior to their behavior causing a potential risk. That’s a good thing. i think most drivers these days lack that skill. Too busy being distracted than to work at seeing risks developing and avoiding the risk.

The safety score beta is/was a good app feature. Whether or not it is “gamification” is subject to how you feel you should drive. I ride a motorcycle, having ridden one for over 45 years of driving. Unless one rides a motorcycle with an eye out for everything other drivers do, your days are numbered before you get in a catastrophic accident. The safety score beta seems to help reinforce that mind set while behind the wheel of my Tesla. Now that i have the beta i no longer have access to my safety score, but many of the things that it helped me “relearn” are still present in the way I drive now. That’s a good thing. i’ve been driving for over 45 years. I’ve never been at fault in any accident. More importantly, i regularly anticipate stupid drivers acting foolishly, so i can avoid being a victim in an accident. That’s a great thing.

Reactions: EVNow
Wasn't some kind of vision persistence one of the main elements of the much vaunted 4D rewrite of 12 or so months ago?

Despite all the iterations I still haven't seen much awareness by the car as to how confident it is about its situation or what things could reasonably happen based on what has just happened.

In the same way, I haven't see discussion about cars slowing down ahead of potentially problematic situations / speed limit changes. All seems to be based on the present moment only and what the car can see at that moment.

That said, visualisations do look less jittery in newer releases.

I've been watching for the same thing. With each FSD build, I try to see if the visuals will persist a car after it is blocked by something else. So for, I've seen a little improvement but I don't think the real vision persistence is in place yet. To test, when I'm coming up behind other cars at a light, I'll move to the side a bit so it can see the car in front of the one directly ahead. Then, I'll tuck in behind it and see if it still shows both cars. Usually, after a sec, I only see the car directly in front of me.

Wasn't some kind of vision persistence one of the main elements of the much vaunted 4D rewrite of 12 or so months ago
There's multiple levels of the 4D rewrites that so far have only applied to a relatively small subset of predictions as Tesla iterated on FSD Beta capabilities. FSD Beta 9 seems to have introduced some 4D to be able to predict moving object positions and velocities as part of the switch to Tesla Vision removing radar. FSD Beta 10 seems to have introduced some more 4D memory to predict static intersection layouts, e.g., lane connectivity.

At least as of November last year, object permanence wasn't part of FSD Beta 10.x and presumably part of 11 as "4D memory" expands from road layout to moving objects and other predictions:

Reactions: Battpower