Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Solved My Problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like one of the easier things to do so it seems pretty likely eventually!

It seems very easy to figure out what the speed limit is if you’re looking at all the signs!
It's easy to read speed limit signs. What's more complicated is reading a sign on the left that says 70mph, and under that says in left hand lane between hours 9am and 5pm, then a sign on the right that says 50mph, and under it says only in right hand lane. Doubtful we'll see that kind of logical association and memory for which lane it's in. Someday, yes, but not for quite awhile.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It's easy to read speed limit signs. What's more complicated is reading a sign on the left that says 70mph, and under that says in left hand lane between hours 9am and 5pm, then a sign on the right that says 50mph, and under it says only in right hand lane. Doubtful we'll see that kind of logical association and memory for which lane it's in. Someday, yes, but not for quite awhile.
Yeah, that seems very very easy compared to most vision tasks!

Yeah, that seems very very easy compared to most vision tasks!
Most vision tasks are reactions to stimulus. Sign reading and interpretation require a different skill set and memory. When the neutral net for planning orders the car to change lanes, the algorithm handling speed limit would have to keep memory of various signs to adjust speed based on lane selection. Easier if there's detailed map data with limits embedded in the lanes. But that's a whole different system to implement, and seems Tesla is working more towards map-agnostic driving. It's probably on a to do list somewhere, but very far down the list.

Ok now that I’m really paying attention… can FSD/NOA actually take me from my residential home onto a highway and thru the off-ramp, thru another neighborhood to my friends door? How about city driving? I remember when initially it was supposed to be only for highways.

Hmm, truck speed limit signs aren’t often seen on City Streets, are they? FSD Beta is only doing its “magic” on City Streets, so not sure how FSD solved the problem you mentioned. I would think AP/EAP would exhibit the same behavior.
It solved it by letting me override the misinterpreted speed limit. EAP didn't allow that. It limited me to 35 MPH. With FSDb a few zips of the right scroll wheel and the car will drive 55.

This isn't a protected highway.