Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This maneuver starting at about 07:45, cuts a wide berth around a stopped car on the left hand side but doesn't seem to recognize or show the open door and exiting driver of the white car on the right hand side

View attachment 711296

View attachment 711297

I'm almost surprised the door didn't clip Frenchie's side mirror, that is way too close and too fast
Maybe? Honestly, I try not to judge based on my perception through the camera because angles can be deceptive. The woman didn’t seem very freaked and neither was Frenchie, and their view is much better than ours.

Reactions: powertoold
We are approaching the point where it's no longer a question of whether or not Tesla will achieve vision-only FSD at a human level safety. It's amazing how quickly things have changed.

Hopefully Tesla iterates quick;y on the “pixel height” estimation that Elon mentioned, cause it’s clearly very iffy right now. Frenchie has the car driving towards road closed signs, and oisiaa has his car completely ignore fencing on a ”road” that the GPS shouldn’t have routed him on at all. I really appreciate how much respect this guy has towards his responsibility to monitoring the system and making sure it doesn’t impact other drivers on the road.

Reactions: geekfam
Maybe? Honestly, I try not to judge based on my perception through the camera because angles can be deceptive. The woman didn’t seem very freaked and neither was Frenchie, and their view is much better than ours.

I'm pretty sure Frenchie saw the door opening, as that car had just parked there and opened the door before Frenchie's car passed it. Since Frenchie didn't comment on the door at all, I don't think it was that close. I think it was at least 1-2 feet between the door and Frenchie's car. I do agree it was a bit too fast.

FSD beta did see the driver though, as a pedestrian displayed on the visualization. Right now, FSD beta doesn't display anything for open doors, but it does take them into consideration, as we've seen in many other instances.

You can see how deceptive wide angle cameras are in this frame immediately after the door incident, where it looks like the car is inches away from the green container:

View attachment 711320
Frenchie didn't acknowledge it but I think he seemed a bit flustered afterwards, pretty sure he knew it was a bad move and that he likely should have disengaged. We've also seen his FSD try to merge into a car that was visible in a drivers-side B pillar camera he had mounted for a video and then say that there was "plenty of gap" and sloughing off the person honking as what you'd expect from bad/impatient drivers in Chicago

Someone mentioned the close call in the video comments but he hasn't responded to it yet

I didn't want to quote anyone I this thread specifically, but I find that the Tesla chimes are pretty much worthless. There should be an option for the car to also speak what its intentions are. If it's too distracting, this option coud be turned off by the driver.
Yeah, I've been thinking that if I were a beta-tester, I'd want it to say the words "creeping" vs. "proceeding" or some such, because you cannot be looking at the screen during those risky maneuvers. People have trouble remembering too many different chimes. (How about "errr?" and "weee!"? :p)

Hopefully Tesla iterates quick;y on the “pixel height” estimation that Elon mentioned, cause it’s clearly very iffy right now.
I assume/hope that also includes pixel depth (i.e., distance from camera). If they can get that to work reliably (99.999%), it should really help avoid running into unknown/unclassified objects. Obviously, this is rule #1 of driving: Don't hit anything. Elon mentioned they need a reasonable way to render unknown objects. I'm thinking just showing red pixels would be OK. If they can turn that into a bounding box, I suppose that would work.

#FSDBeta LOTS of Forward Facing Unprotected Left Turns

2:40 and 7:40 - those were gaps I would have gone for. But FSD isn’t always aggressive so I don’t blame Chuck for stopping it.

9:15 - If there were a lot more cars behind the oncoming car, I might have gone for that gap by gunning it as the car before it was passing, but in that situation where it was pretty wide open afterwards, I definitely would have waited.

Still don’t like how the Tesla pre-angles itself for turns though. That potentially freaks out both the Tesla driver and oncoming drivers. If the car Stays straight, no one would be worried about it creeping into traffic. Obviously not an easy problem to solve given how long it’s been an issue (I assume trying to do so would break some other bit of turn logic, trying to fix bugs can sometimes be an unending cascade of unintended consequences), but I hope Tesla eventually cracks it. It would make those lefts a lot more comfortable for everyone involved.

2:40 and 7:40 - those were gaps I would have gone for. But FSD isn’t always aggressive so I don’t blame Chuck for stopping it.

9:15 - If there were a lot more cars behind the oncoming car, I might have gone for that gap by gunning it as the car before it was passing, but in that situation where it was pretty wide open afterwards, I definitely would have waited.

Still don’t like how the Tesla pre-angles itself for turns though. That potentially freaks out both the Tesla driver and oncoming drivers. If the car Stays straight, no one would be worried about it creeping into traffic. Obviously not an easy problem to solve given how long it’s been an issue (I assume trying to do so would break some other bit of turn logic, trying to fix bugs can sometimes be an unending cascade of unintended consequences), but I hope Tesla eventually cracks it. It would make those lefts a lot more comfortable for everyone involved.
I covered a bit here how the creeping improves visibility for the cameras, so I don't think Tesla will change that behavior.
FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

It takes about 3 seconds to make the left turn, and 2:40 was about 120m away = 5 seconds while 7:40 was about 100m away = 4 seconds. And the former had traffic coming in the closest lane, so the Tesla would probably be 2 lanes away, but the latter traffic was in the middle lane, so that might have resulted in some braking.

There were actually at least 2 potential opportunities that FSD Beta 10.0.1 might have attempted the left turn during the 7:20 pass:
90m moving.jpg

Here it correctly detected and visualized the further vehicle in the closest lane at about 90m away. However, a few seconds later, a vehicle just within 80m still wasn't visualized resulting in the disengagement:
80m moving.jpg

I wonder if Vision-only production highway velocity/position training hasn't quite made it to FSD Beta 10.0.x city streets neural networks, but maybe that will be addressed as part of the single stack where presumably "city streets" network will also be trained on highway data to be more consistent on moving vehicles that are further away.

Says Tesla doesn't want them to share all of the videos.
He says he regrets not removing the part where it was headed for a pedestrian from the video.
Says he will be on "good behavior from now on" and be "selective on what he posts"

The twitter clip had 5 million views before being DMCA, I wonder if Tesla contacted him to delete his monorail video.

He says he regrets not removing the part where it was headed for a pedestrian from the video.
Says he will be on "good behavior from now on" and be "selective on what he posts"

The twitter clip had 5 million views before being DMCA, I wonder if Tesla contacted him to delete his monorail video.
"Tesla doesn't want a sharing all the clips of the video, just, like, when it looks good" haha.
In Tesla's defense what they probably don't want is people driving like jackasses on public roads while using FSD whether it's posted to YouTube or not.
DMCA takedown is total BS imho. Seems like fair use to me.

Anyone else suspect this wasn't actually a hit and run? 🤔

He was in mid-sentence saying "Tesla lets us share everything on social" then he got cut off as the car was cutting into a lane that was not actually a lane (I guess this is why these shouldn't be streams, but commentary should be narrated separately), then he says "Tesla doesn't want us sharing all of the clips of the videos, um just like when it looks good because they know people take it out of context". So it's a bit self contradictory. And we have seen all sorts of videos where the system does badly, so not really sure what he really means by that. Maybe Tesla doesn't want individual clips, but is ok if you share the whole trip.

As for the take down request, it was initiated by him, not Tesla (as I mentioned in some comments in an article of this). He first asked the person to take it down just due to them violating copyright and not even giving link or a credit, and when the person refused, he contacted Twitter and Twitter took it down (that's why the strike had Twitter on it).

Last edited:
This maneuver starting at about 07:45, cuts a wide berth around a stopped car on the left hand side but doesn't seem to recognize or show the open door and exiting driver of the white car on the right hand side

I'm almost surprised the door didn't clip Frenchie's side mirror, that is way too close and too fast

Nah, it only looks close because of the wide angle camera, but I agree it was a little too fast for the level of uncertainty.

I think you have that backwards.
Wide angle cameras make things look further away than they are. Therefore the lady is closer than she appears to be, and the gap is narrower than it appears to be.

Door.png

"Tesla doesn't want a sharing all the clips of the video, just, like, when it looks good" haha.
In Tesla's defense what they probably don't want is people driving like jackasses on public roads while using FSD whether it's posted to YouTube or not.
DMCA takedown is total BS imho. Seems like fair use to me.
Just stealing a clip with no credit or link to the original author is not fair use. It's like a lot of clippers that earn revenue just by stealing content by clipping other videos, but usually even they link back to the original author or they do something to make it "transformative" by editing in some way (or maybe adding translations, but even translations don't give you a free pass), not just post a single clip outright.