Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta 7 - First look! 2020.48.10.1 - 34:45 - Dave Mac
** LOL...I posted this before watching it. He is live streaming the download. You can skip to at least the 32 minute mark. The funny thing is that 134 people are watching a download (as of now). He just said that he won't be streaming the first drive so this is just a video to watch paint dry. This is too funny...he's now added music. Update, music stopped because of copyright issues. Update again, royalty free music found. System rebooting at about 30 minute mark. Release notes at about 32...he said nothing new. Video ends without a drive. * *

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mt09 and Cyclegamer
#FSDBeta doing a perfect job of “sharing the road” on a notorious street where ducking into open parking spaces is necessary to let opposing traffic go by.

https://twitter.com/kimpaquette/status/1337487295457484803

8iGmz2o.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: powertoold
#FSDBeta 7 is out! 2020.48.10.1
First impressions video. I think the unprotected left turns are getting better, but not ready. Check it out!
Wow Chuck, it's amazing that you were able to (very quickly) download the update, go for a drive, edit the video, and go through the YouTube upload process. Thanks for being first to do all of that.

First impressions video. I think the unprotected left turns are getting better, but not ready. Check it out!

Not very good. Some small improvements to creeping forward at a couple of intersections, I guess, but not exactly useful when it still slowly hesitates its way across the intersection, stopping in the middle of the road, when the other street isn’t clear.

1:40 - some better creeping behavior at an unprotected left, but still failed the actual turn badly.

3:30 - may or may not have completed an unprotected left. Driver disengaged but noted the left lane was clear.

4:55 - does do a left turn well, but I don’t like the steering wheel behavior. It abruptly turns the wheel right as the truck is passing, which it shouldn’t do.

7:50 - fails a tough intersection. Looked like it was going to blow through the stop sign right into oncoming traffic. The placement of the signs and the layout of the intersection is tricky.

8:39 - turns into the wrong lane on the tricky intersection tested in previous iterations.

Kinda looks like one step forward, one step back for this iteration.

Is that inside info or did you read that somewhere?

Inside info. It's a friend who works on Tesla semi trucks. Take it for what its worth, but I believe him. He doesn't know the numbers they have to hit though, but he has friends on FSD team.

At my job we have something like this too. It has to hit a couple of KPIs before we open to more users. In Tesla's case, they have to be super safe so I believe they do have a goal like this. It's metrics to track each update to check if it's actually better than before and if it's safe to add more users. They can't just go off some Beta Testers or their employees feeling it's good to go.

Of course Elon can override and push it out if he thinks they are close enough. I hope they do get it to more people by end of the year, and I hope I am one of them.

See, the release notes 0:26 don't tell Chuck anything about what might have changed in FSD. No test pilot would agree to this kind of update. Tell them what it does differently so there are no surprises. It is possible that there are no FSD changes, at least that's all you can glean from the release notes.

It's the "one step back" that worries me most. Some behaviour that you trusted has now been taken away and the car will do something else. [You must figure out what because we are not going to tell you].

Either Tesla has figured out unprotected left or it has not. Don't make the poor civilian try and guess. He has now assumed most of the risk and responsibility, while Tesla has assumed little of the liability. Also the general public has now assumed all of the risk.

I would love to see some agency conduct a test of 50mph soft-shell cars to see if FSD would just ram through them all. (and not at 30mph like they do in the soft tests, actually do it at high speed)
At the intersections 1:45 3:35 and 7:50 Chuck disengages before the car completes the turn. What would have happened if he didn't?

I am not at all requesting any person try and find out on the road with real traffic. This appears to be terribly dangerous software in this situation. I just want to know if it's [properly] detecting the 50mph cars at all? Because my impression is that it is not.

edit: I know it's detecting cars, but is it properly detecting them and making safe decisions.

Last edited:
See, the release notes 0:26 don't tell Chuck anything about what might have changed in FSD. No test pilot would agree to this kind of update. Tell them what it does differently so there are no surprises. It is possible that there are no FSD changes, at least that's all you can glean from the release notes.

It's the "one step back" that worries me most. Some behaviour that you trusted has now been taken away and the car will do something else. [You must figure out what because we are not going to tell you].

Either Tesla has figured out unprotected left or it has not. Don't make the poor civilian try and guess. He has now assumed most of the risk and responsibility, while Tesla has assumed little of the liability.
Also the general public has now assumed all of the risk.
When he agreed to be a Beta tester he agreed to ALL of the risk. If he didn't want it, he wouldn't have signed up for it. None of these testers are doing this against their will. They chose to in order to make the product better, which they are doing.

Dan

Not very good. Some small improvements to creeping forward at a couple of intersections, I guess, but not exactly useful when it still slowly hesitates its way across the intersection, stopping in the middle of the road, when the other street isn’t clear.
1:40 - some better creeping behavior at an unprotected left, but still failed the actual turn badly.
3:30 - may r may not have completed an unprotected left. Driver disengaged but noted the left lane was clear.
4:55 - does do a left turn well, but I don’t like the steering wheel behavior. It abruptly turns the wheel right as the truck is passing, which it shouldn’t do.
7:50 - fails a tough intersection. Looked like it was going to blow through the stop sign right into oncoming traffic. The placement of the signs and the layout of the intersection is tricky.
8:39 - turns into the wrong lane on the tricky intersection tested in previous iterations.
Kinda looks like one step forward, one step back for this iteration.

I certainly agree with your points but these behaviors were the same in prior builds. In all fairness the following were positive comments by Chuck which is not consistent with your statement this version took one step back. I don't believe Chuck had any examples of beta 7 behaving worse then beta 6. Certainly not ready for wide distribution yet but consistently improving from build to build.

2:15 "I'll say that behavior in creeping was much better"
2:33 " It was giving the camera more perspective"
4:35 Regarding lane center on yellow center line. "Right now it feels pretty good"
5:35 "It did slow down for that car didn't need to .... but glad to see"
6:05 "I'm very impressed so far...making some good improvements here"
6:50 "I feel like perhaps they have solved the issue with hugging the yellow line"
7:15 At flashing yellow light "it slowed down nicely in previous tests it had completely stopped there"
10:40 "Its obvious to me Tesla has done some work on left turns"
11:00 "Nice job"

Last edited:
I would love to see some agency conduct a test of 50mph soft-shell cars to see if FSD would just ram through them all. (and not at 30mph like they do in the soft tests, actually do it at high speed)
At the intersections 1:45 3:35 and 7:50 Chuck disengages before the car completes the turn. What would have happened if he didn't?

I am not at all requesting any person try and find out on the road with real traffic. This appears to be terribly dangerous software in this situation. I just want to know if it's [properly] detecting the 50mph cars at all? Because my impression is that it is not.

edit: I know it's detecting cars, but is it properly detecting them and making safe decisions.
You seem to have a real desire to make make a Beta version of a product into into something it is not. I.E. a ready for full release, polished product. While that is fine (we all want to see it done) you seem to expect the learning process to somehow not be relevant to the end goal. We all know it is still a work in progress.

Dan

I have a feeling a lot of the testers want to highlight edge cases where the FSD today struggles. Right now it is supposed to be autopilot of city streets, which means that it will let you relax while it does the boring driving, but whenever the situation get’s tricky it let’s the human drive. Just like autopilot does sometimes, when there are construction, bad weather etc. As more data is gathered the number of times a human needs to take over falls just like autopilot for highway has done. So imo it is more important to get a feel for how much the FSD actually makes the driving safer and more comfortable, not if there still are edge cases preventing the system from being 100% ready for LVL 4.

It is good for Tesla that users are finding edge cases, but it is less useful for us investors. So youtubers and forum members focusing on this seems misguided.

As for edge cases yeah, we should monitor them, but not obsess about them. The trend is important, not where we are at today.