Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the steering wheel hadn't even made a turn to the right yet to make him think the car was going to turn into the bike.

Watch the video. Also, this is easily disproved; car is still applying power, wheel is turned (and per the blue icon, it was turned very slightly less just before this - you can see the steering wheel itself move in the video)

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 7.12.02 PM.png

Again, I don't know whether it was the car or Brandon who hit the brakes here, but let's be clear about what we do know. I'm not sure why it matters anyway, to be honest.

What's all that grey stuff between the bike and the white car?

Watch the video again; your perspective and understanding of the intersection are confusing your view of where the bicycle was located.

Again, I don't know whether it was the car or Brandon who hit the brakes here,
Hand just starting to disengage fsd. Green regen.

Hand.png

Watch the video again; your perspective and understanding of the intersection are confusing your view of where the bicycle was located

Notice that the gas station sign is in the middle of the turn lane and the car is just to the right of the double yellow.
Sign.png

Now the rider is to the left of the gas station sign a full lane away from the car

Bike.png

Done, too.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Point taken. I'm stopping my part in this discussion. We need more videos. Occasional discussion is fine but this has definitely gone too far. I still want to know how the car saw that pedestrian in that other video. Interpreting reflections would be impressive.
I don't see how else. That was a solid panel van next to him, and the cameras are too high and close to see under it. And if you look through the window of the truck, you see the awning of the building above the dashboard. The car's cameras are a little higher than the gopro but I don't think they could see the girl through the windshield of the truck.

Last edited:
2020.48.10.1 going to HOLLYWOOD

...I still want to know how the car saw that pedestrian in that other video. Interpreting reflections would be impressive.
I'm actually curious at about this same point how it continues to see the pedestrian. Can it see it with one of the cameras? (I don't see how - this was a box truck...but maybe through the cab windows???) Is it making a prediction based on the pedestrian's last known location? Is it seeing the pedestrian's feet somehow with the B-pillar camera? Or what?

It's interesting. Or maybe it is mundane. Any ideas what is happening here? What is this witchcraft?

3:14-3:18 in video, pedestrian is shown when no cameras can see her. FSD doesn't usually continue showing and moving a bounding box when it can no longer sense it. Usually they just disappear. (ex: You can see the person disappears as she passes in front of the van)
But then she reappears and moves in a straight line like a sprite when no sensors could really detect her.

There are quite a lot of spurious boxes and inconsistently drawn objects in that intersection. A yellow pedestrian appears at 3:21, the waiting cars and bus rarely show quite correctly. The rotating box can't be the bus which doesn't drive up until later.

Watch the blue hatchback at 3:14, it remains as a bounding box until 3:27, well after it has left sensing range, and kind of drifts like the pedestrian.

There's a lot of glass, many lighted billboards. Maybe the radar is being used and is bouncing back in confusing ways. Perhaps some things are acting as corner reflectors. It might be signal overload and the sensors don't match up. It's certainly not consistent with the reality of the scene.

Watch the video. Also, this is easily disproved; car is still applying power, wheel is turned (and per the blue icon, it was turned very slightly less just before this - you can see the steering wheel itself move in the video)

View attachment 618676

Again, I don't know whether it was the car or Brandon who hit the brakes here, but let's be clear about what we do know. I'm not sure why it matters anyway, to be honest.

Watch the video again; your perspective and understanding of the intersection are confusing your view of where the bicycle was located.

‘if the car is still in AP, then the car hit the brakes, period. If you tap the brakes while the car is in AP, it disengages immediately and the blue icon goes gray. Nothing I’ve heard has said that the beta is any different.

View attachment 618819

The bike is passing the gray hatchback. You need to have some perspective.
View attachment 618794
The white Ford Transit and the white Sentra are in the same plane. The Dodge Journey is bigger than a Sentra but appears much smaller in your picture! Also note that the tire of the bicycle is about in line with the front of the van and Sentra.
Also, look at the height of the cyclist relative to the the Journey (which is 67" tall).
See here when the Journey actually gets to the intersection much later:
upload_2020-12-18_7-57-30.png

It's a strange intersection design. The bike is waiting way past the left turn lane which is probably the source of confusion.
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 8.01.40 AM.png

Last edited:
Tesla you got to get better and fix this. While it may or probably would have stopped (it should have NEVER started moving) it is just scary for pedestrians and driver. Especially since the display says "Stopping for traffic control in 25 feet".

CLEARLY we human drives could tell he was crossing and would have stopped and not lunged toward him. Chris even says "this guy is heading for the Crosswalk" well before he does.
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.12.39 AM.png

Last edited:
The white Ford Transit and the white Sentra are in the same plane. The Dodge Journey is bigger than a Sentra but appears much smaller in your picture! Also note that the tire of the bicycle is about in line with the front of the van and Sentra.
Also, look at the height of the cyclist relative to the the Journey (which is 67" tall).
See here when the Journey actually gets to the intersection much later:
View attachment 618837
It's a strange intersection design. The bike is waiting way past the left turn lane which is probably the source of confusion.
View attachment 618838

What's in dispute here? The cars are parallel and properly positioned w.r.t to the perspective projections of the close turn lane. The bike is already in the turn and at about 30 degrees to the white lane divider. He's just barely in the turn lane, so the turn was initiated when he was even less in the lane.
project-png.618819

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tesla you got to get better and fix this. While it may or probably would have stopped it is just scary for pedestrians and driver. Especially since the display says "Stopping for traffic control in 25 feet".

CLEARLY we human drives could tell he was crossing and would have stopped and not lunged toward him. Chris even says "this guy is heading for the Crosswalk" well before he does.
View attachment 618841
The issue with posting comments like these with associated snapshots is that I can show you another snapshot a millisecond later showing the pedestrian further in and the car clearly reacting even before driver disengages.

It’s much like the famous Ali/Liston photo. That particular frame tells a very different story than the actual full framed video shows.
As a result, these continuous debates occur on here. Enough with the snapshots, please.

The issue with posting comments like these with associated snapshots is that I can show you another snapshot a millisecond later showing the pedestrian further in and the car clearly reacting even before driver disengages.

It’s much like the famous Ali/Liston photo. That particular frame tells a very different story than the actual full framed video shows.
As a result, these continuous debates occur on here. Enough with the snapshots, please.
Did you watch the video? If you were driving you would have not moved forward at all. The car was stopped at 0MPH and Chris already says "this guy is heading for the Crosswalk" before the car starts moving forward. It is clear he is about to cross.
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.46.50 AM.png

Last edited:
I have a feeling a lot of the testers want to highlight edge cases where the FSD today struggles. Right now it is supposed to be autopilot of city streets, which means that it will let you relax while it does the boring driving, but whenever the situation get’s tricky it let’s the human drive. Just like autopilot does sometimes, when there are construction, bad weather etc. As more data is gathered the number of times a human needs to take over falls just like autopilot for highway has done. So imo it is more important to get a feel for how much the FSD actually makes the driving safer and more comfortable, not if there still are edge cases preventing the system from being 100% ready for LVL 4.

It is good for Tesla that users are finding edge cases, but it is less useful for us investors. So youtubers and forum members focusing on this seems misguided.

As for edge cases yeah, we should monitor them, but not obsess about them. The trend is important, not where we are at today.
This is not investment thread.

Reactions: scottf200