Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched you latest and...

• Can you get a longer/lower camera mount? It is nice seeing your handsome face :D but the mirror blocks a lot of the upcoming road, traffic signals and don't need to see visors/headliner.:eek:
  • Also a little steadier mount? I get the roads there are rough but a lot of shaking going on.
  • More snow and ice covered roads
  • Like the inner city driving
  • Make a long routine route by making each new Start Favorite at the end of the preceding route.
  • Can you give an English translation too?
  • Maybe a one a week or so with drone video

...and of course I'm an expert and know it all sitting in my basement. o_O THX

Super useful! Will improve by taking your feedback into account. Thanks!

OK, you don't think he would have said it. I guess that settles it.

<Snip...>

You only assumed you knew what I meant.

Lol cute. You wrote:

But speeds from the side because of other vehicles can be just as high as the forward speed of your vehicle.

If you refuse to acknowledge that relative velocity between two moving cars is the metric of importance, and that that value has the largest magnitude when the two cars are traveling toward each other (as several other posters have also stated), then I can’t really help.

Lol cute. You wrote:

If you refuse to acknowledge that relative velocity between two moving cars is the metric of importance, and that that value has the largest magnitude when the two cars are traveling toward each other (as several other posters have also stated), then I can’t really help.
What does the highest magnitude have to do with anything? If a lower speed is adequate to cause an issue, it doesn't matter how much faster you go above that.

• Disagree
Reactions: WattPwr
What does the highest magnitude have to do with anything? If a lower speed is adequate to cause an issue, it doesn't matter how much faster you go above that.

I agree with that statement, IF the lower speed is adequate to cause an issue. But who says the lower speed is adequate to cause an issue?

Just because vision isn’t currently working well out the left and right side for turns into traffic NOW doesn’t mean it can’t work well EVER.

Elon’s statement was just that they felt they only needed radar out the front because in that direction, the system will be dealing with higher relative speeds (aka speeds, since speed by definition requires a reference frame)—high enough in their calculations that radar augmentation would be preferred.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
For unprotected lefts, estimating velocity of cross traffic isn't the challenge. The challenge is understanding what the cameras can and can't see, if there are any obstructions, seeing cars behind bushes / fences / walls / trees / barriers / other cars / etc.

As humans, we don't need to know the absolute velocity of cross traffic. We can simply gauge risk of a turn based on visual cues (like how quickly a headlight size is increasing) and past experience.

What we're really good at though, is understanding what we can see and can't see, which is one of the main challenges of FSD development.

But who says the lower speed is adequate to cause an issue?

As you know, that is the direct meaning of Elon's statement.

Elon’s statement was just that they felt they only needed radar out the front because in that direction, the system will be dealing with higher relative speeds (aka speeds, since speed by definition requires a reference frame)—high enough in their calculations that radar augmentation would be preferred.

But, that wasn't his statement. That is you explaining what he meant to say based on some assumptions you hold.

I have an intersection near me that is similar to the one Chuck is having problems with. It also 50' wide, but the cross traffic routinely goes 65 to 70 mph. That only gives as little as 2.55 seconds to get across. That's just not enough time, especially for the lower powered cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: WattPwr
Follow this forum investment thread for a few weeks and you'll have a much better understanding of Tesla's high value and competitors challenges.
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable
Thought about referring them to this, listing various reasons for the valuation and expected continued growth, but then I realized they likely have already made up their mind based on the initial post.

At this point, people that truly care to understand Tesla (whether it be TSLA or Tesla) and even come to these boards, should be able to do the research on their own if they’re going to make blanket posts.

I’ve lurked here for a while. Not as smart as anyone already posting. If the goal is for the car to be twice as good as a human driver, no one is within .0001% of a human driver in all conditions. When you can tell the car to go to the third crossing , turn right, go 2-3 miles to the trailer I parked there last week, not the one with a goat tied in the yard and it will find it, I’ll consider they are close to solving the problem. Any person can do it. An exaggeration? Not really. How about coming up on a semi jackknifed across the highway? Happened to me last week. The cops weren’t there yet ( people were fine) and drivers cut across the media through the edge of a field and continued on their way. Not common? Sure, but I see situations like that several times a year. People are amazing creatures.

In all of US only Texas has a legal speed limit of 85mph all others are lower than that. (and that is on a divided & restricted access highway)

So, you're saying FSD capable cars have to be responsible for non-FSD cars illegal actions?
LOL. That would be a yes.

It would be profoundly irrational to ignore anything. I would also hope it would look both ways when crossing a one-way street for example.

• Disagree
Reactions: NHK X and mikes_fsd
It would be profoundly irrational to ignore anything.
you're saying FSD capable cars have to be responsible for non-FSD cars illegal actions?
Ignoring something/anything and being responsible for actions of someone else are completely different things.

I would also hope it would look both ways when crossing a one-way street for example.
It does, and has been doing a great job at it across ~15 different states that now have public FSD beta and posted videos.

Reactions: NHK X and Microterf
So, you're saying FSD capable cars have to be responsible for non-FSD cars illegal actions?
Ignoring something/anything and being responsible for actions of someone else are completely different things.

Incidentally you brought up the word "responsible". (and I'm not sure why you keep rating: disagree when I post something, but whatever)

But I don't really understand your point then. We can't control other people's actions and are not responsible for what they do in their own vehicles. Certainly I agree with that. I have even tried honking and gesturing at other drivers, it seldom fixes the problem...

What I said was "Other people drive at 90mph+ sometimes." In other words, you'd better expect people to be doing bad things and drive defensively.

It's nice that:
In all of US only Texas has a legal speed limit of 85mph all others are lower than that. (and that is on a divided & restricted access highway)
But there's no way I would get in an FSD vehicle that has any limitations that can't detect someone breaking the law and react accordingly.

I did not say Tesla can or cannot. This is a general comment on a Beta product. The jury is still out, and we are seeing how it reacts in all the helpful videos as you pointed out.

an FSD vehicle that has any limitations that can't detect someone breaking the law and react accordingly

Which is an interesting point....

If 'the algorithm' is right (let's not get into if NN's are an algorithm :). I expect technically they are not, but never the less they process inputs and come up with outputs) then presumably it has to be safe and legal - at least from a driving perspective. If 'the algorithm' is succesful from an insurance perspective, it just needs it to be demonstrably 'the other car's (person's) fault'. It would be no help to me to know that it wasn't my car's fault if another car (driven illegaly or wrecklessly) hits my FSD car, especially if a human driver could have avoided the impact.