Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're not posting an FSD video or posting about an FSD video, consider posting in a different thread, please. There are many overlapping threads on FSD related topics, this thread is great specifically because it allows people to just see results and not endless bickering or baseless speculation.

Keep the thread focused, please!

Here is a comparison between Standard Autopilot and FSD Beta 9. Enjoy!

This comparison was really neat to see! I know it'd be very difficult to keep them synced up, but it'd be really neat to see them side by side.

Potentially interesting situation from TesLatino with a pedestrian walking at a crosswalk without right of way:
walking.jpg

FSD beta didn't slow down at all, and that was the correct behavior expected by the pedestrian who is trying to walk right behind the Tesla in between moving vehicles. Unclear if Autopilot actively understood that or just believed it had right of way, e.g., stopping for crosswalk is ignored at a green light.

Potentially interesting situation from TesLatino with a pedestrian walking at a crosswalk without right of way:
View attachment 627304
FSD beta didn't slow down at all, and that was the correct behavior expected by the pedestrian who is trying to walk right behind the Tesla in between moving vehicles. Unclear if Autopilot actively understood that or just believed it had right of way, e.g., stopping for crosswalk is ignored at a green light.

We've seen this before, and I mentioned that it is the result of the car's human-like predictions:

Reactions: mikes_fsd
We've seen this before, and I mentioned that it is the result of the car's human-like predictions:
FSD has to assume pedestrians will yield correctly or it would never get anywhere. If the pedestrian becomes a collision hazard then it should take action under collision avoidance. Presumably FSD did not see this pedestrian as a collision hazard.

However we as human drivers can often see that the pedestrian is walking into danger (perhaps distractedly) and can take pre-emptive action (slow, honk, avoid, etc) before the pedestrian becomes a collision hazard.

One would hope that autonomous software might get to that level in time.

If you're not posting an FSD video or posting about an FSD video, consider posting in a different thread, please. There are many overlapping threads on FSD related topics, this thread is great specifically because it allows people to just see results and not endless bickering or baseless speculation.

Keep the thread focused, please!

This comparison was really neat to see! I know it'd be very difficult to keep them synced up, but it'd be really neat to see them side by side.

Is this what you had in mind?

FSD has to assume pedestrians will yield correctly or it would never get anywhere.
There is a little more than just "assume pedestrians will yield correctly"... it can also calculate speed and distance of the detected objects (bounding box) and determine that at a walking pace (3mph) the pedestrian will not cross the path of the car. It does seem to act human like in this instance.
If you notice the bounding box in TesLatino's video is light blue compared to the pedestrians on the sidewalks in dark blue.
It clearly sees this as different state.
upload_2021-1-14_9-35-16.png

Standard Autopilot definitely has issues with curves that should be taken <20mph, but overall it can drive plenty of straight miles without issue. I'm not familiar with Chicago roads, but there do seem to be plenty of diagonal ones that should have a higher concentration of odd-shaped intersections, e.g., those with 6+ ways to enter/exit:
View attachment 627262

Maybe a straight drive down one of these diagonal roads, e.g., Milwaukee, Ogden, Elston, Clybourn, Lincoln, Clark, will end up pretty boring, but maybe it'll show some interesting FSD visualizations of intersections and/or cases where it gets confused but non-FSD Autopilot might just happen to get right.

Thanks for the recommendation. I drove that diagonal yesterday and it was pretty uneventful. I recorded the whole drive but I need to watch the footage to see if it's interesting or not. It did recognize those 5 or 6-way intersections though. Looked nice on the screen but apart from that, it was quite "un-interesting" (not that FSD isn't interesting all the time!)

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
It did recognize those 5 or 6-way intersections though. Looked nice on the screen but apart from that, it was quite "un-interesting"
Thanks for trying it out! Good to hear that FSD beta didn't get confused by these 6-corner intersections -- some of them did seem quite complicated at least on a map without actually physically driving there, e.g., North / Damen / Milwaukee:
North Damen Milwaukee.jpg

A bit further from the map I shared earlier would be all the way to Irving Park / Cicero / Milwaukee:
Irving Park Cicero Milwaukee.jpg

Checking if FSD beta would make the various left/right turns (where allowed) probably would take quite some time planning out what's a good test route in addition to waiting at a lot of red lights at these busy intersections. So being respectful of your time, no pressure in trying out more complex maneuvers here.

Thanks for trying it out! Good to hear that FSD beta didn't get confused by these 6-corner intersections -- some of them did seem quite complicated at least on a map without actually physically driving there, e.g., North / Damen / Milwaukee:
View attachment 627493

A bit further from the map I shared earlier would be all the way to Irving Park / Cicero / Milwaukee:
View attachment 627494
Checking if FSD beta would make the various left/right turns (where allowed) probably would take quite some time planning out what's a good test route in addition to waiting at a lot of red lights at these busy intersections. So being respectful of your time, no pressure in trying out more complex maneuvers here.

True! I was doing a simple test going through the intersection but I should probably thing about having difference scenarios (i.e straight in the intersection, turn left on the 1st left, turn left on the second left etc..). Maybe do each "path" clockwise. I'll take time to plan this one in order to cover all scenarios. The one that would be the most difficult, interesting would be the hair pin ones. Great suggestion, I'll start working on something.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighZ and mikes_fsd
View attachment 627493

View attachment 627494
Excellent photos and clearly a worthy challenge for FSD. While it may be challenging, FSD should end up being better than a human driver in complicated intersections. As has been said many times (most notably by Elon, but I couldn't find the quote) the vehicle can look in many directions at once while a human only one direction at a time.