Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD had a choice between two lane lines, and followed the left line when it should have followed the right. Except in very specific circumstances, the car should always follow the right line in the U.S.
Here in the Midwest it's common on freeway exits to add the exit lane without additional lane markings - essentially you are in a double-wide lane. This is one of those exceptions. It's obvious to a human where you are supposed to be but until recently AP would try to follow the fog line and get into the exit lane (exit after exit). Maybe you can make "track the fog line" a preference, which I'd probably prefer as opposed to the current "take a swag" but the exceptions are the challenge.

It appears under such circumstances that "do what the car in front of you is doing" is not a consideration at all either - maybe that's a good thing.

I find this Debbie Downer syndrome rampant in Waymo/Cruise fans - you know the usual suspects - when it comes to Tesla's progress. The car did incredibly well on a highly windy mountainous road with extreme foggy conditions. Yes there are rough edges in corner cases and those will be ironed out, and this version is not FSD public release yet. One year ago there was not a single car in the world that could negotiate that stretch. Today we have one car that can do.

I wonder how Waymo and Cruise will do there :D

These are the kind of guys who will send their Tesla to McDonalds to pick up coffee and then complain that their Tesla screwed up the order with extra sugar and no milk, when it should have been the other way :)

Here in the Midwest it's common on freeway exits to add the exit lane without additional lane markings - essentially you are in a double-wide lane. This is one of those exceptions.
I did mention turn lanes. :)

It's obvious to a human where you are supposed to be but until recently AP would try to follow the fog line and get into the exit lane (exit after exit). Maybe you can make "track the fog line" a preference, which I'd probably prefer as opposed to the current "take a swag" but the exceptions are the challenge.

That's where map data comes in, typically. If there's a known turn lane, follow the line opposite the turn lane, unless there are two turn lanes, in which case stay centered. If there's not a known turn lane, follow the right in the absence of a contraindication, e.g. marked parking spaces, parked cars without marked spaces, or a significant difference in asphalt color (recently repaved, line not yet painted).

Actually, now that I think about it, you can probably get it right 99.999% of the time just by saying "unless you're at a known freeway exit, follow the line with the smallest second derivative, and follow the right if both second derivatives are smaller than some minimum threshold". In other words, ignore the one that curves suddenly away, but if they both curve gradually away, follow the right line.

Thoughts?

Reactions: KArnold
This is a lot of other threads but it needs to be here as well.

1621994190793.png

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I assume foundational improvements means you won't be able to see them in the first version of V9.0. A subsequent version will be a step change that will blow your mind. That is not a question mark. :p
Are any of the youtubers doing quantitative analysis of the progress? Or are we going to have to wait for public release for that?

• Funny
Reactions: Microterf
I suppose the FSDbeta YouTubers be posting v9 videos on YouTube with commentary for people to review and critique.

I assume foundational improvements means you won't be able to see them in the first version of V9.0. A subsequent version will be a step change that will blow your mind. That is not a question mark. :p
Are any of the youtubers doing quantitative analysis of the progress? Or are we going to have to wait for public release for that?