Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how many miles/reports a day do you all think we should be doing. After work I did a 6.7 mile drive and reported 8 events (crossing over the medium, driving over yellow bumps, no proceeding in a timely fashion at an intersection like 5-6 times…is that too much to be a good beta tester?

So how many miles/reports a day do you all think we should be doing. After work I did a 6.7 mile drive and reported 8 events (crossing over the medium, driving over yellow bumps, no proceeding in a timely fashion at an intersection like 5-6 times…is that too much to be a good beta tester?

I'd personally only report "nonobvious" issues or scenarios, not a matter of taste.

Reactions: fiveten
According to Chuck, the car only stores about 5 clips of when you hit the report button and will overwrite old clips with new ones, until you park somewhere with internet access, presumably Wi-Fi, and the car can upload the clips back to Tesla. Reporting slow starts is, imo completely unnecessary. Just hit the go pedal yourself if it’s too slow for your taste and supposedly that intervention will be logged and they‘ll know.

Reactions: fiveten
If everyone thought so - they will never know its a big problem.
like I said, just hit the go pedal instead. It’s an intervention and supposedly is one of the things they look for when trying to improve the Beta. Hitting the report button on top of that is just overkill, especially 6-8 times, since according to Chuck he was told by the Beta team that after 5 or so “report clicks” new clips just overwrite old ones. Chuck and several other beta testers have said that the report button is supposed to be for unique traffic situations where they didn’t necessarily have to intervene; a slow start off the line isn’t really a unique situation.

Reactions: Microterf
like I said, just hit the go pedal instead. It’s an intervention and supposedly is one of the things they look for when trying to improve the Beta. Hitting the report button on top of that is just overkill, especially 6-8 times, since according to Chuck he was told by the Beta team that after 5 or so “report clicks” new clips just overwrite old ones. Chuck and several other beta testers have said that the report button is supposed to be for unique traffic situations where they didn’t necessarily have to intervene; a slow start off the line isn’t really a unique situation.
Yes - if pressing the accelerator is taken as an intervention and gets logged, no need to report. Intervene if needed - but if you can't and the car does something it shouldn't - then report.

Here's an example, right on CA-35 locally:
Nice try, but this is the image just about 500' before that stop sign (it's on the left up ahead). That is not a limited access road leading up to that stop sign, so if you were using AP coming up to the sign you indicated, you were doing it in contravention if the manual.

1634011120441.png

so if you were using AP coming up to the sign you indicated, you were doing it in contravention if the manual.
Then, the revenue Tesla recognizes for stop sign/traffic light is also in contravention to the manual.

Safe to say the manual is outdated and needs to be revised.

Won’t be the first or last time in tech world the manual is not keeping pace with software.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Nice try, but this is the image just about 500' before that stop sign (it's on the left up ahead). That is not a limited access road leading up to that stop sign, so if you were using AP coming up to the sign you indicated, you were doing it in contravention if the manual.

View attachment 720481
That is still considered a limited access road according to California, as that part is still part of SR35:
California State Route 35 - Wikipedia

Note we are talking about "limited" access, not "controlled" access, where adjacent properties are not allowed direct access at all. In California, these are instead called "freeways".
Controlled-access highway - Wikipedia

From the limited access road definition on wiki, bold emphasis mine:
"In the United States, an expressway is defined by the federal government’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices as a divided highway with partial control of access.[22] In contrast, a freeway is defined as a divided highway with full control of access.[23] The difference between partial and full access control is that expressways may have a limited number of driveways and at-grade intersections (thus making them a form of high-speed arterial road), while access to freeways is allowed only at grade-separated interchanges. Expressways under this definition do not conform to Interstate highway standards (which ban all driveways and at-grade intersections) and are therefore usually numbered as state highways or U.S. Highways."
Limited-access road - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • Informative
Won’t be the first or last time in tech world the manual is not keeping pace with software.
Crazy that Tesla was able to document the thrown together safety score in so much detail, even though that destroys the usefulness of it. And they are supposedly so focused on saftey that they need it.

But they can't give a single line on safe use of the very software that is so dangerous that only the safest drivers can have it.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if there is a CFR or FVMSS that legally requires a vehicle manual.

I never would have guessed that a manual would cause so many concerns for some.

The score is well documented probably because people will want to know why they are getting the score they did.

Reading a manual on how to use something? There are many jokes about how people don’t read manuals.

Now I’m not saying Tesla shouldn’t have up to date manuals. But it kind of makes sense on where they put their effort. Ideally it all should be updated. They would need multiple versions of the manual based on the version and features of software that is running.

View attachment 720481

q0p5XV1.png

From a reddit post:

There is a stop sign without a merge area to get on this interstate highway (I-278 Brooklyn-Queens Expressway)

5a8mEZeOTJKRoaTZTb-9WW4KKsssjrqBPPtRxNjOBfk.jpg

A set of traffic lights over Interstate 195 eastbound stop traffic for pedestrians (toll takers and maintenance personnel)
i-195_eb_exit_001_02.jpg

Last edited:
You're forgetting to read the first sentence.

View attachment 720379

Point out a road to me that is a highway or limited access road that has a stop sign in the direction of travel on that limited access road. What is even the definition of a limited access road if it has a stop sign? What are you stopping for?
In the VA Hampton Roads area both bridge tunnels have traffic lights in the direction of travel.

I was really looking forward to getting FSD beta 10.2 and to making my contributions to this process. In preparation I created a new TMC avatar. This is what I prepared before I got 10.2.
1634043063547.png

After doing my first test drives yesterday I decided to change it to this.
1634043216592.png

I love having it and still expect to help the process by driving carefully and submitting feedback to Tesla through interventions as well as reports on edge cases. But the reality is that this is work and requires constant attention. I always had appreciation for the early beta testers that drove and posted their videos but my respect for their commitment has really gone up after doing this myself.

This is an exciting time and I look forward to the FSD user base continuing to expand.

Last edited: