Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Braking Breaking My Dog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest software has really broken down for me. In a way that I’ve never had in any of the beta software. I officially think it’s kind of dangerous. Actually, I think it’s very very dangerous. It’ll speed up and run stop signs. Then realizes it ran a stop sign and slams on the brakes. Doing this in the middle of the intersection. While launching my dog (Brian from family guy style through the air. This is happened many many times now. So many times that I’ve prepared for it by having my dog always next to me so I can hand grab her. This isn’t the only thing that’s happening. The other big one is it can’t stick to a lane when it comes to a light. It keeps weaving back-and-forth panicking before picking a lane. I’m hoping someone has a recommendation on something I can try to do. I don’t know if you can go back a version but this is unacceptable.

Yikes, sorry to hear! I’ve been reading up on FSD, watching lots of YouTube videos. But these kind of “keep It real” posts are very helpful to get a sense of how well things are progressing. Keep your doggie close!

it’s not a law here and good luck strapping in a border collie.

Sorry I am not buying the concern for the dog here as a primary motivator for this thread. That sounds harsh, but the thread title is "My FSD has tried to kill my dog too many times now".

Putting aside the "cant strap my dog in" comment, if this was something you were concerned about and you really felt it was trying to kill / injure a family member (which is what pets are for most people), this would have happened exactly "once" not "Many times" because after the first time you wouldnt be using FSD in the car with your dog if you thought it made the ride dangerous for the dog.

it’s not a law here and good luck strapping in a border collie.
67443314609__DD20D7FC-DC54-4E09-8146-C2050BB327B3.jpeg

Couldn't find one of her in the car to do it justice.

Hotel on an island in Maryland. She was upset the housekeeper came in so put herself in the bathtub.

The housekeeper left a treat for her and 4 hours later she still couldn't bring herself to eat it.

OK. First question: Are you running the Beta, or do you simply have the FSD package, which is EAP on steroids?

Second question: If you are running the Beta, you do realize that it's a Beta, right? That it makes mistakes, right? Not necessarily all the time, but often enough to gave any sane person the willies, right? And you are there to Stop It From Doing Illegal, Dangerous, and Dog-hurting things, RIGHT?

Just so we're all clear on this: In the release notes for the Beta, right where you have to see it if you use the Beta, there are the words, "The Beta version of FSD will do the wrong thing at the worst time.", and they are definitely, positively, Not Kidding.

Third: If you aren't running the Beta, then you're running the version of FSD that Doesn't Really Handle City Streets, and That Includes Stop Signs. In which case, all of the above means that you, and only you, are responsible for how the car drives. The non-Beta FSD does a decent job on limited access highways, not so much everywhere else.

As it happens, I'm running the 11.3.6 version of FSD-b. In city streets driving, there's an intervention, on average, every couple of miles. Which means, since we're talking averages, sometimes I can get ten or fifteen miles down local roads without an intervention; or I can get three interventions per mile. And one has to be prepared to take over. I was up in Boston last week on a U-turn ramp on McGraph Highway; this ramp started in a left lane on a busy road, ducked under the said road, curved to the left madly, then came around to the Northbound direction, where there was a light to stop either the Northbound direction on McGraph or the U-turn lanes. The U-turn lanes had a red; McGraph NB had a green; but the cameras on the car though that the (visible) greens were for it. So if I hadn't been paying attention it would have run the red light. But, and this is the point with the Beta, it never does something so fast that one can't keep up with it, so long as One Is Prepared for idiocy.

Having said that: On highways, I've driven over 100 miles at a time sans interventions and it changes lanes on its own, thank-you-very-much. And nicely, too. Vastly improved from the stuff last year.

So apologize to the dog. What were you doing, running red lights?

Reactions: rlsd
Ok to the dog people worried about my perceived lack of concern about her. I’m a pet and home care provider for the last thirty years. I love animals with every fiber of my being. Including my dog child. I was just stating facts while trying to keep on the subject of fsd. Let’s move on from the dog stuff please🙏

Yep I’m on the latest fsd beta that most of us are on. Yep aware it’s on beta. As I said in my post there’s always issues but this is real danger to such an extreme level that I just wanted to see if I was alone with this issue. The next thing you said was to 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ I’m not even going to respond to it. I’ve driven beta enough to not have as you called it the willies 🤣 like you I zoned off on your ramblings. You clearly missed where I said it was stop signs. I said it would act like it would stop then speed up on them going through them before quickly stopping in the middle of the intersection. If your going to respond at least comprehend what you read 👍

Reactions: CleanDemon
Ok to the dog people worried about my perceived lack of concern about her. I’m a pet and home care provider for the last thirty years. I love animals with every fiber of my being. Including my dog child. I was just stating facts while trying to keep on the subject of fsd. Let’s move on from the dog stuff please🙏

Yep I’m on the latest fsd beta that most of us are on. Yep aware it’s on beta. As I said in my post there’s always issues but this is real danger to such an extreme level that I just wanted to see if I was alone with this issue. The next thing you said was to 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ I’m not even going to respond to it. I’ve driven beta enough to not have as you called it the willies 🤣 like you I zoned off on your ramblings. You clearly missed where I said it was stop signs. I said it would act like it would stop then speed up on them going through them before quickly stopping in the middle of the intersection. If your going to respond at least comprehend what you read 👍. I also said she was always in the front with my so I could fast stop my run away Tesla while catching her.

Mine is trying to kill my marriage. Every time I take my wife for a ride FSD beta is literally trying to make my wife divorce me. Whenever it makes any kind of jerky movement she will scream at me. It also gives her motion sickness and when we drive in the car while on FSDb she is not happy. FSDb has tried to kill my marriage too many times

Just to point out that nobody is being forced to keep FSDb engaged here, you are still the person doing the driving.
If I don't think FSDb is slowing down correctly, I won't just let it leave it to the last second and force my dog/family to go flying through the air. I take over beforehand when I would start braking.
If you let FSDb drive like that with your dog/family then thats your choice.
Personally I treat FSD for what it is - a driver assistance tool. It is not autonomous driving.
Why on earth would you keep subjecting your family to something they don't like, if you know it doesn't work the way they need why keep engaging it?

Mine is trying to kill my marriage. Every time I take my wife for a ride FSD beta is literally trying to make my wife divorce me. Whenever it makes any kind of jerky movement she will scream at me. It also gives her motion sickness and when we drive in the car while on FSDb she is not happy. FSDb trying to kill my marriage.
At least it doesn’t throw her into the dashboard. That would definitely erk her🤣

Just to point out that nobody is being forced to keep FSDb engaged here, you are still the person doing the driving.
If I don't think FSDb is slowing down correctly, I won't just let it leave it to the last second and force my dog/family to go flying through the air. I take over beforehand when I would start braking.
If you let FSDb drive like that with your dog/family then thats your choice.
Personally I treat FSD for what it is - a driver assistance tool. It is not autonomous driving.
Why on earth would you keep subjecting your family to something they don't like, if you know it doesn't work the way they need why keep engaging it?
Agreed. I mostly regret springing for a used M3 with FSD (that cost me a few more thousand at the time) than getting one without FSD. I still use FSD on occasion, I just do not yet see the worth. Hopefully that changes in the near future!

At least it doesn’t throw her into the dashboard. That would definitely erk her🤣
Yes it would. In all seriousness though. I drive quite a bit. 25k miles/yr. 99% on FSDb.

In general I drive the same routes. Go to work, go to the store, go to Costco, go to certain restaurants, go to shopping centers.

In those routes I drive, it generally operates plus or minus the same in every circumstance. Does bad at first stop sign after my house. I just drive manual there. Drops speed abruptly at 45 to 35 speed change, I have my foot on the go pedal, traffic on highway 3 lane to 2 lane will often brake abruptly will either reduce speed before hand or lightly feather the go pedal.

Long story short, learn how it works alone. Compensate when car is occupied.

So your dogs name is Brain and he is a she? Never have any issues like this granted I maintain the control If I suspect it is doing the wrong thing. Also curious in a previous thread you said you had EAP not FSD which could explain a lot.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod