Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has Tesla ever had discounts in the US for special occasions? I am not a Tesla owner yet(hopefully the end of this month) but I opted to not get FSD yet due to how expensive it is! I remember back when it was like 7-9K lol. Just wondering how you Tesla Enthusiasts think the future price of FSD will go? I am willing to pay 5K but I cant justify the price right now.

Has Tesla ever had discounts in the US for special occasions? I am not a Tesla owner yet(hopefully the end of this month) but I opted to not get FSD yet due to how expensive it is! I remember back when it was like 7-9K lol. Just wondering how you Tesla Enthusiasts think the future price of FSD will go? I am willing to pay 5K but I cant justify the price right now.
Then just order (rent) it monthly as needed. That’s the direction they are pushing consumers to go.

Upvote 0
I 'member when it was $3k in 2017 when I paid for it, and still don't have it...

Upvote 0

Nor should you justify it. $15K you pay THEM to be a beta tester is patently absurd. Especially given that there are many stories across the internet and here as well about near misses and close calls aplenty with FSD.

Upvote 0
FSD is not likely to come down in price due to the feature set expanding in the future. I purchased when it was 12k because I planned to keep the vehicle at least 5 years and that was the break even point. It also allowed me to protect myself from an increase in the monthly sub. With it being 15k though we are talking a 75 month break even and I wouldn't recommend anyone do that unless your going to drive it till the wheels fall off.

Just do a monthly sub. Alternatively, if you plan to just use it on the highway just go with EAP which is 6k.

Reactions: UserAnon99
Upvote 0
I have the FSD option in both of our cars (paid much less than the current price). When I get my next Tesla, I will pay for EAP and subscribe to FSD if I want access to the beta. The current subscription price is $100/month if you have EAP.
How long before you think they jack up the subscription price? Right now, you would have to have a subscription for over 6 years to pay for the $15k.

I know it's just guessing but I think they'll keep the balance around 5-6 years. Example: FSD price goes up to $17.5k...subscription goes to $240-ish.

Upvote 0
How long before you think they jack up the subscription price? Right now, you would have to have a subscription for over 6 years to pay for the $15k.

I know it's just guessing but I think they'll keep the balance around 5-6 years. Example: FSD price goes up to $17.5k...subscription goes to $240-ish.
Don’t know, but they’ve increased the price of FSD twice since introducing the subscription, but haven’t increased the subscription price yet. It’s not likely I’ll keep my car for 6 years, so buying FSD outright isn’t worth it. I would only subscribe to FSD to get access to the City Streets Beta until Tesla delivers more FSD functionality (not necessarily actual FSD).

Upvote 0

That's one possibility. Another is they could be trying to push people towards the subscription model. The subscription model gives Tesla more control over revenue and provides continued cash flow. Seems to be the model most tech companies are leaning towards now.

Upvote 0
It's an interesting question as to why the purchase price has gone up significantly (from $10k to $12k and then to $15K) but the subscription price has not.

One theory is simply that they want to encourage the subscription revenue model.

Another theory (a hopeful one for those who purchased outright) is that Tesla has indeed decided that they will provide a no-charge hardware upgrade to those who purchased FSD, but not to those who subscribe. The increasing purchase price reflects this anticipated upgrade cost.

The FOMO argument in favor of purchasing vs. subscribing includes the ideas that
a) you'll get the hardware upgrade as mentioned above, and/or
b) the subscription price could be raised substantially at any time.

However, regarding a), as long as the subscription price remains the same, even a $5,000 charge for a hardware upgrade represents a wash vs. the original choice of $10k or $200/month.

Here I'm not expressing any opinion regarding the likelihood of various future Tesla actions, nor any advice regarding which FSD option (if any) is a better choice. I'm just trying to think it through and summarize the issues.

I bought FSD Capability at $10k. I'm not sorry I did, but I never tell others that's what they should do, even less so as the price has continued to rise. For me it had nothing to do with the concept of having a future income-generating Robotaxi; I always felt that was farfetched and not a particularly attractive1 use of my personal car.

Regarding a hardware upgrade, mostly I just hope it will be available at all for my car. Of course I'd prefer to be entitled to it at no further cost - but I have to admit I'd reluctantly pay for it. The worst outcome would be that it's simply not available even after buying FSD.

Upvote 0
I 'member when it was $3k in 2017 when I paid for it, and still don't have it...
Do you have HW3/MCU2 and updated cameras? Set that up with service (cameras are no charge, MCU2 you pay for) and you will receive an OTA that enables FSD. Have patience (and persistence) and it will arrive! I know.... I bought in 2016 and finally received 4 months ago. Persist!!!

Upvote 0
Do you have HW3/MCU2 and updated cameras? Set that up with service (cameras are no charge, MCU2 you pay for) and you will receive an OTA that enables FSD. Have patience (and persistence) and it will arrive! I know.... I bought in 2016 and finally received 4 months ago. Persist!!!
Literally got the FSD software push today. Didn't want to spend money on MCU2. I wanted Tesla hold up their end of the deal. So I had to wait a year longer than most people.

Upvote 0