Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD hardware upgrade front camera quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DNV4

May 15, 2024
Canada
I just upgraded 2017 Model X HW2 to HW3 (FSD). The report states that both front and side cameras were replaced, but the picture from the front is much worse than from the sides, it is blurry and faded:
IMG_4700.png

I’ve seen similar images from old side cameras. Is it possible that they forgot to replace the front camera module? Will FSD even work with the old one (v11.4.4 is currently installed)? Or is it rather a camera defect? Thanks.

I just upgraded 2017 Model X HW2 to HW3 (FSD). The report states that both front and side cameras were replaced, but the picture from the front is much worse than from the sides, it is blurry and faded: View attachment 1047572
I’ve seen similar images from old side cameras. Is it possible that they forgot to replace the front camera module? Will FSD even work with the old one (v11.4.4 is currently installed)? Or is it rather a camera defect? Thanks.
New FSD (Navigate on Autopilot on city streets) doesn't work with old cameras.

Old FSD (stops at a green light) works with old cameras.

I'm not sure if this will help, but 2½ years ago when I had my cameras upgraded, the paperwork indicated that the wrong cameras were installed. I removed the inside triple camera cover and verified that the correct updated part number was installed. My FSD software has always worked properly ever since.

Thanks everyone for the answers!

Tesla Service requested the image which I attached here and after I sent it to them, they asked me to schedule a “diagnostic appointment” for $200+. So I concluded that the image shouldn’t be that blurry, but it’s not clear why I have to pay them again.

I checked in the service menu that all the cameras are new, so I’m thinking, could it be the windshield inside the module is stained? Or maybe it’s normal for this camera that the model name of the car parked in front is indistinguishable, and the Service just wants to make extra money?

Reactions: Ben W

Tesla Service requested the image which I attached here and after I sent it to them, they asked me to schedule a “diagnostic appointment” for $200+. So I concluded that the image shouldn’t be that blurry, but it’s not clear why I have to pay them again.

I checked in the service menu that all the cameras are new, so I’m thinking, could it be the windshield inside the module is stained? Or maybe it’s normal for this camera that the model name of the car parked in front is indistinguishable, and the Service just wants to make extra money?
You paid FSD, you should get all the features of FSD. I wouldn't worry about the cameras but I would care if they can't do the current new FSD:

That means it should go through and shouldn't stop at every green light. That means it should automatically turn at a city intersection.

If your car can do those features then forget about paying $200 additionally.

If you paid Tesla Service to upgrade your cameras, and they agree that the image looks wrong, they can’t charge you to fix their mistake. Push back on the $200 charge.

There are two cameras in the front housing. Is there any way to check whether the other front camera has a similarly faded view?

My 2022 MY had always had poor front camera image quality, which turned out to be due to chemical offgassing residue inside the housing. May be worth checking for in your case as well; perhaps the inner glass or lens got smudged as they were doing the install? The image quality should definitely look better than that.

I checked it in service mode, all 3 front cameras have about the same poor image quality. It would be helpful if someone here could post pictures from their HW3 front cameras, preferably from model X or S, so I can substantiate my claim to the service. Thanks.

I just upgraded 2017 Model X HW2 to HW3 (FSD). The report states that both front and side cameras were replaced, but the picture from the front is much worse than from the sides, it is blurry and faded: View attachment 1047572
Just a guess based on your image and the fact that the top is more clear than the bottom. I'd guess condensation if it is a short time span issue, but only if for a short period of time. Sounds like your issue is longer.
As for FSD, my inside camera has never been replaced and I am on FSD12 in a 2017 car.