Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD/HW3 Computer Upgrade - Disappointed and Impressed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just posted my review of the FSD upgrade for my 2017 Model S (which came with the MCU2 upgrade, which I love).

The AP visualizations are cool and the traffic light and stop sign recognition seems to be working very well, but my extreme lane keeping test results were quite disappointing compared to last spring.

Compared to my tests on AP 2.5 using software 2019.12, the lane keeping is quite a bit worse, with a much more timid speed control around corners. The latest software and hardware upgrades also did nothing to fix the lane keeping issues on my test routes from last year. To be fair, this is likely entirely a software issue, not due to the FSD computer upgrade.

I'm hoping for big things from this new rewrite we keep hearing about. It will be exciting when it can run one of my test routes flawlessly or can handle roundabouts or construction lane changes properly.

I've heard from some here on the forum that the FSD/HW3 upgrade improved AP smoothness and NoA, but I haven't seen that in my own testing so far.

What has your experience been like with the upgrade?

@BrainCandy Great video! I loved how you split the screen to show 4 different view points! Are you using GoPro's for all 4 angles? If yes, which model of GoPro are you using? What drone do you have?

Sorry I don't have any comments/feedback on the content of your video as my car is a 2016 with AP1!

I'm starting a YT channel very soon and have used the same road for a lot of clips in my videos (Lower Base line road)! Small world!

Great work on the video and format! Impressive on a technical level. Music sounded like dream theater or something. :D

One thing though, while talking you could still lower the music a tad. Keep it up! :)

I went from AP2 to 3 on MCU1

In short time I turned off stoplight recognition

Display is slightly less responsive now but not problematic, no other noticeable changes

I would not recommend upgrading to HW3 with MCU1

I have HW3 along with MCU1, besides the noticable lag with screen responsive and the like, why would you not HW3 upgrade FSD? Are you saying that your driving with Autopilot has gotten worse??

@SilverGS Thanks for the kind words. I think I already answered your questions in the YouTube comments but that's funny that you've been using the same road to test your car. It's also used by the popular Straight Pipes channel. Ha ha, we don't have many interesting roads here in Southern Ontario so I guess we all have to share this little strip. ;)

Reactions: SilverGS
A bit baffled here. I have seen improved AP smoothness, but my upgrade was on a model X. Thinking that is not the factor though.
NICE video

@Silicon Desert Thanks for sharing. In what way do you find it smoother? I still find highway exits quite jarring and worse than it used to be. It will start to exit to the off-ramp smoothly, then it will over steer to the right and quickly jerk back to the left. Normal lane changes are quite smooth though.

Although not related to smoothness per-se, it's also still taking too long to merge onto the highway (accelerating too slowly), and making bad decisions like the other day when it tried to make a lane change from the right lane into the middle lane while a transport truck was merging into it from the right lane. Even though I have it set to Mad Max, it still waits too long to try to pass slower cars and also starts to make its way to the exit lane way too early (like 4 km before the exit). Maybe I'm just an impatient driver, but it would be nice if it could learn our individual driving styles or at least program it to be more aggressive. Perhaps that will come in the future as it gets more confident.

Great work on the video and format! Impressive on a technical level. Music sounded like dream theater or something. :D One thing though, while talking you could still lower the music a tad. Keep it up! :)

Thanks for the kind words and the constructive criticism, @emmz0r . I went through it a few times to try to find the right balance for the music, but I'll try lowering it a bit more next time. Ha ha, I don't have the budget to license Dream Theater, but luckily I came across some great royalty-free tracks for the channel. A lot of them are from a guy named Ethan Meixsell - he does some awesome riffs. :)

Reactions: emmz0r
To go through the stoplight on green, you can pull back on the AP stalk instead of stepping on the accelerator :) excellent video!

Thanks, @captjoemcd . I think I mentioned that later in the video, but it's a good reminder for those of us new to the FSD upgrade. I've started using that method exclusively lately as it seems to result in a smoother driving experience, vs using the accelerator. Hopefully this will be unnecessary soon with an upcoming software update. Interestingly, I later learned that if you do confirm wanting to go through a green light and then the light turns yellow, the car will still stop if you're not already too close to the intersection.

Reactions: captjoemcd
I also have a 2017. Model S 90D. Came with MCU1 and HW2. Recently had the HW3/FSD upgrade. Since then, multiple screen freezes/reboots (seems more common when attempting to forward through a podcast while on NOA?), overall lag has increased, voice commands fail far more often now, and overall, degradation of MCU related performance than before going to FSD. My guess is that FSD places far more demand on MCU resources. I too dont know if I could recommend FSD without going to MCU2.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
@SilverGS Thanks for the kind words. I think I already answered your questions in the YouTube comments but that's funny that you've been using the same road to test your car. It's also used by the popular Straight Pipes channel. Ha ha, we don't have many interesting roads here in Southern Ontario so I guess we all have to share this little strip. ;)
I borrowed my nephews 2019 Model 3 RWD for my second car review this past weekend (he has the FSD option) and tested AP on the same road. Interestingly enough his car behaved in exactly the same way as yours. It just slowed down so much - to about 40kph.

Thanks, @captjoemcd . I think I mentioned that later in the video, but it's a good reminder for those of us new to the FSD upgrade. I've started using that method exclusively lately as it seems to result in a smoother driving experience, vs using the accelerator. Hopefully this will be unnecessary soon with an upcoming software update. Interestingly, I later learned that if you do confirm wanting to go through a green light and then the light turns yellow, the car will still stop if you're not already too close to the intersection.
Yeah, I experience this very thing yesterday, was about 500 feet away from the traffic light, and clicked the stalk to indicate acknowledgement of the traffic light, and when I get to around 300 feet I would say the light began to turn yellow and Autopilot began to brake, it was an awkward timing issue where AP would not advance though the yellow light even though I clearly could have, instead I intervened and stopped car.

@Silicon Desert Thanks for sharing. In what way do you find it smoother? I still find highway exits quite jarring and worse than it used to be. It will start to exit to the off-ramp smoothly, then it will over steer to the right and quickly jerk back to the left. Normal lane changes are quite smooth though.

Although not related to smoothness per-se, it's also still taking too long to merge onto the highway (accelerating too slowly), and making bad decisions like the other day when it tried to make a lane change from the right lane into the middle lane while a transport truck was merging into it from the right lane. Even though I have it set to Mad Max, it still waits too long to try to pass slower cars and also starts to make its way to the exit lane way too early (like 4 km before the exit). Maybe I'm just an impatient driver, but it would be nice if it could learn our individual driving styles or at least program it to be more aggressive. Perhaps that will come in the future as it gets more confident.

Hi. I am not seeing the issues with off-ramp that you mention. It is smooth to me.
As for merging onto the highway, I can't comment on that as I don't use it for that. I activate after I am already on the freeway.

The smoothness I am referring to has to do with staying in lane without ping ponging. Changing lanes is quick and smooth. Changes to the exit lane have been early enough to not be abrupt. That is about all I can say. I have noticed better improvement in the last month than previous versions. Fortunately it gets better all the time, yet for some people, they seem to think new quirks crop up from time to time. I haven't seen that. I use mostly interstate driving and bumper to bumper driving in the city. I like it for that.