Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Option Removed? [3 month trial promotion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new Model 3 Performance in December, did not buy FSD but it somehow came with it installed, anyway, and said so under "purchased" on the screen and in my app. It worked from day one. So I thought someone made a mistake and gave lucky me a free FSD!

Today I got a notification on my Tesla app: "FSD expires April 1, 2021". And on on the app the status also has changed from " Purchased" to "Eligible" (at $10k).

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this like the proverbial heroin dealer who gives you your first baggy for free, and once you've become addicted, charges you?

I think it's actually anti-heroin.

It's to let you know what FSD/NoA really is so you don't have any kind of illusion/fantasy that any of it actually works right.

You don't have to take anyone's word for it as you have 3 months to experience the horror show that is NoA.

I think in the end you'll enjoy user initiated auto lane changes, and that's the one thing you'll miss when it expires.

It's to let you know what FSD/NoA really is so you don't have any kind of illusion/fantasy that any of it actually works right.

You don't have to take anyone's word for it as you have 3 months to experience the horror show that is NoA.

I think in the end you'll enjoy user initiated auto lane changes, and that's the one thing you'll miss when it expires.

Most accurate assessment ever...

NoA is part of EAP actually (which some reported made a return as an option). What you get with FSD is the stop sign / traffic light control (which having tried it is, quite nice and makes a big difference in using it locally). Autosteer in cities also will supposedly be coming.

The Ultimate Guide to Tesla Autopilot | Current Automotive

Reactions: McFlurri
At the moment it doesn't, but Tesla briefly offered it for cars in 2020 even after discontinuing it. They may be running this deal again in the future.

It was brief and not in the OPs time period, hence, totally irrelevant to the discussion. Just adds to the confusion in a situation that's confusing enough for a new owner.

Reactions: McFlurri
Before I get even more confused, remind me again what functions I will lose when my free heroin baggy of FSD is not going to be refilled on April 1, 2021: summons, automatic parallel parking, automatic navigation on city streets with traffic light recognition...

What about auto pilot from exit to exit programmed into navigation, with automatic lane changes? I saw this video of the guy driving from L.A. to the Bay Area without even using the blinker when lane changes were necessary. All he did was the occasional wake-up touch of the steering wheel. What auto-pilot goodies will I still have? Or is it all baby powder after April 1?

If you have nothing then it would be basic cruise control... Just maintain speed. If you have basic AP package then you would get stay in the lane (mostly for highway use) and traffic aware speed controls.
Need EAP or FSD for all the other stuff like auto lane changes, NoA, stop sign recognition, etc. Without a package you won't have summon or auto park either.

If you have nothing then it would be basic cruise control... Just maintain speed. If you have basic AP package then you would get stay in the lane (mostly for highway use) and traffic aware speed controls.
Need EAP or FSD for all the other stuff like auto lane changes, NoA, stop sign recognition, etc. Without a package you won't have summon or auto park either.

Again, ALL cars built in the OP’s timeframe will have Autopilot. No EAP, no “basic TACC” - for the OP, it’s either Autopilot or FSD. Please don’t make this more confusing!

@clyde - What you’ll have is Autopilot. You’ll have speed and lane keeping controls.

Automatic lane changes, taking action at stop signs and traffic signals, summon, Autoparking, and all of the upcoming city street automation are part of the Full Self Driving package.

Here’s a description of what’s in the two packages straight from Tesla: Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Now, are all the FSD features worth the cost? That’s 100% your call. No matter what anyone here says, we can’t put a value on it — only you can do that for yourself.

Meanwhile though, enjoy them, get to know them, and then you can decide.

dmurphy: thanks for the clear explanation.
Indeed, $10k is a lot of money, and I hope other forms of temporary FSD renting or leasing will become available soon.

There is supposed to be an FSD pay-by-the-month plan coming... how soon, who knows?

My guess (and again, only a guess) is that we may hear something at the Q4 earnings call next week (1/27.) They tend to make fairly large splashes on those.

I've got FSD on both our Model 3 and Model X... and while today's "FSD" isn't everything I hoped it would be, I'd definitely miss it. The auto lane changing alone is absolutely sublime. Anxiously waiting for the next round of FSD where it starts analyzing in 4 dimensions (X, Y, Z and time). That’s when stuff gets real.

Last edited:
What about auto pilot from exit to exit programmed into navigation, with automatic lane changes? I saw this video of the guy driving from L.A. to the Bay Area without even using the blinker when lane changes were necessary. All he did was the occasional wake-up touch of the steering wheel....

No.

When you lose FSD, you'll get Autopilot with 2 functions: TACC and Autosteer WITHIN the same present lane. That means no Auto Lane Change.

If you find a route that forces cars running on the most right-hand side would eventually be forced to exit because of the "exit-only-lane" then you Autopilot can do Entrance-to-Exit automation, not by capability but by accident due to your freeway's design.

Before I get even more confused, remind me again what functions I will lose when my free heroin baggy of FSD is not going to be refilled on April 1, 2021: summons, automatic parallel parking, automatic navigation on city streets with traffic light recognition...

What about auto pilot from exit to exit programmed into navigation, with automatic lane changes? I saw this video of the guy driving from L.A. to the Bay Area without even using the blinker when lane changes were necessary. All he did was the occasional wake-up touch of the steering wheel. What auto-pilot goodies will I still have? Or is it all baby powder after April 1?

The answer to your question can be found specifically in teslas own web pages, here:

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

In case you dont want to click the link, here are the specific differences. Without full self driving (the 3 month trial you currently have), you will have "Autopilot" which comes with your car. Copied directly from the link above, "autopilot" includes:
===========================
Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability Features
Autopilot is a suite of driver assistance features that can be purchased before you buy your car or after it’s been delivered, and brings new functionality to your Tesla that makes driving safer and less stressful. Available packages include:

Autopilot
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control
==========================

Thats it, Traffic aware cruise control, and autosteer which steers in its lane.

Full self driving, (again from the link above to teslas own website, for corroboration)

===============================================

Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
  • Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets
=============================================

This is it currently. There is a beta, which those with FSD will get "eventually" but one should buy or not based on what is there right now.

So, hopefully this clears up your confusion on "what comes with what" since it comes directly from tesla. This is NOT a discussion on "is it worth it?" Thats another discussion entirely, that belongs in the autopilot forum.

I've got FSD on both our Model 3 and Model X... and while today's "FSD" isn't everything I hoped it would be, I'd definitely miss it. The auto lane changing alone is absolutely sublime. Anxiously waiting for the next round of FSD where it starts analyzing in 4 dimensions (X, Y, Z and time). That’s when stuff gets real.

My Model 3 came with nothing, so I got to experience dumb cruise control without any AP.
Then I added AP and got to see what that was like for a while.
Then I upgraded to FSD so got to see that as well.
Auto-Lane-Change is the one thing that makes me really not want to go back to basic AP again. Having to disengage lane keeping to move to another lane gets tiring in traffic.

My Model 3 came with nothing, so I got to experience dumb cruise control without any AP.
Then I added AP and got to see what that was like for a while.
Then I upgraded to FSD so got to see that as well.
Auto-Lane-Change is the one thing that makes me really not want to go back to basic AP again. Having to disengage lane keeping to move to another lane gets tiring in traffic.

I could live without summon, I could live without autopark, but there's no way I'd willingly give up auto lane changes or nav on autopilot. They're excellent quality of life features, and it's a damned shame they got rid of Enhanced Autopilot since as good as they are, they're not worth $10k.

Problem is that I also refuse to buy FSD again because I fell for that nonsense over three years ago, so here I am, at the point where I thought I'd sell my car and buy a Model Y, instead planning on just keeping my 3 and seeing if Tesla makes things right for early FSD buyers and lets us do a one-time transfer.

You make an excellent argument why Tesla should offer a reasonably-priced FSD option.

But Tesla launched a price balloon ($10k) on something that has no historic or comparable market valuation, and they probably will decide on the market response whether that entirely arbitrary price will stay, rise, come down, or be cut up into bite-sized (read: time-limited) portions.

But paying 1/5th of the price of my new car to add full self driving options, especially options not yet fully realized, or possibly put on hold (just a couple of bad FSD accidents or long regulatory delays come to mind)? Count me out.
In the meantime, I'll try to get ahold of Igor in Sofia...

I'm not impressed at all with FSD. Jerky/erratic steering, brakes at the last minute (not smooth at all), sudden acceleration (rather than gradual), can't turn on streets, and worse of all, you still have to keep your hands on the steering wheel, or you get a freaking warning every 10 seconds. Oh, and get 2 of those, and it locks out until the next drive cycle (along with all other driver aid features). Tried the lane change, and you need to keep the turn-signal engaged until it's finished... and it doesn't do it smoothly either. So what is the big deal with that? It's just a gimmick IMO. I just finished a 1,400-mile long trip, and only used FSD for a few minutes, when I was behind a cop. AP would have done exactly the same task. Oh, and at least on my car, it had forward/backward summon before free FSD. Smart summon is another gimmick, and just like the other features, it doesn't even work that well. I won't be using any of those features again before they expire on April 01. I wouldn't even pay $500 for FSD, but to each his own :).

Reactions: am_dmd and Maxpilot