Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price Cut to $12k Tonight, Aug 31/ Sept 1 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get what you're saying, however don't mistake reduced costs to a company as deflationary. If they don't pass that on to the consumers, it's not deflationary, it's just more profit for them. Tech advancements are supposed to increase productivity, reduce costs, and improve efficiencies. The deflation comes when the free market (i.e. competition) forces lower prices for all.
Inflation should actually be harder to create at a macro level in a truly free market. Whereas in a market with mostly monopolies (massive global corporations), or a market that is constantly being manipulated by the gov, "inflation" (greed) is inevitable.

But getting back to this thread's topic, I commend Tesla for not being greedy, and improving their product without passing on the expense to their customers. It's refreshing actually. Wish it were more common from more companies.
All profit-seeking companies are "greedy", Tesla has fiduciary and legal obligations to its investors/shareholders.

Prices are coming down because they need to come down to move the volumes that Tesla built factories for, it's really as simple as that. Tesla built the factories, committed to raw materials/parts orders with suppliers, massively ramped up production, and those produced cars need to move. And then central banks started increasing interest rates, which was specifically intended to cool demand for things like cars and thus bring it into better balance with supply that would push prices down.

None of this is altruistic lol, if Tesla didn't cut prices then they would be sitting on unsold inventory that would be even worse for investors.

what would happen if Tesla insurance was the only brand you could get and they required FSD?
my state, Idaho, doesn't have Tesla insurance yet and I don't know where to go.
What do you mean? I also have an address in Idaho. Why are you having issues finding a Tesla insurance? State farm charges me 155 USD/month even without their Drive-Safe-and-Save GPS tracker. With that I could have paid 120 USD/month. 155 USD/m is pretty good based on the amounts I have been paying for a more expensive Mbenz and BMW vehicles that I had and still have (registered in Idaho). Never heard of any incident wherein FSD is a must have even in other states.

In my opinion, no, not even close. Auto pilot is even a stretch but at least functional and I'd probably buy it again if I purchase a new Tesla. Paying over $10K for a beta is not my cup of tea. I don't usually buy into futures anyway so I won't buy a product until it's working.

The day my car can reliably and consistently come get me, and drive me home from the pub, is the day I "1-click purchase" FSD for $15K w/o hesitating.

I won't copy/past the whole thing but there's an interesting tweet from Gary Black regarding FSD pricing. Maybe not so much about deflation and more about not being worth the price of admission. It would be interesting to have a poll of what price FSD owners would be willing to repurchase FSD.

The FSD value proposition at $12K is still quite muddled when used Teslas with FSD are getting barely $3K more than identical Teslas without FSD. As legendary ad man David Olgilvy once famously said: “The consumer isn’t a moron. She’s your wife.” Consumers won’t pay $12K for an autonomy package where they have to intervene 1-2x per trip no matter what Elon says.

Buying up front FSD instead of getting a subscription really depends of your usage,
and also how long you plan to keep your car, unless transfer becomes a possibility.
If you only take short trips, you might not feel the need to use FSD very often,
but if you start taking long trips of few hours, FSD can be worthwhile.

In my case I paid $4k for EAP and later $2k for FSD and I really appreciate having the full FSD.
In partixular after a long day at work, it is very relaxing to use FSD, especially at night,
when you have the light of the cars coming in front of you. FSD keep the car
perfectly in the center of your lane even when you get dazzled by car headlights.

FSD is not perfect and has limitations, but many improvements have been made recently. For example
while driving around town, when your lane splits in two branches, I noticed that FSD no longer hesitates
and keeps the car in the correct lane following the navigation route. Whereas in the past FSD often
hesitated and swung between the left lane and the right lane..

There have been a lot of small improvements, for example when passing a bug truck, the car moves away
from the center of the lane to avoid been too close to the truck. But one limitation that I still encounter
is that FSD don't know to slow down in advance when there is a coming curve and accelerate progressively
when exiting from a curve like an experienced driver would do. So I still prefer controlling the speed
using the left scroll button on the steering wheel.

A particular feature that I like is that FSD is great for changing lane to pass other vehicles and then for
going back into the lane after passing a vehicle. When passing a vehicle you constantly need to look
in front of you, in the rearview mirror and the side mirror at the same time, but FSD is great at doing this.
Also after passing a vehicle, as it is often difficult to estimate if you are too close or far away enough
to move back to your lane, and FSD is a great help in this situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Earlier this year I was trying to get my two stroke weed wacker going. Those pull string are great for the deltoids, not always so good for starting an engine.

I looked it over and low and behold there was a hole in the case for a specialized bit called "speed start". So I went out and bought this bit for $8. It works beautifully. I don't understand why every small engine doesn't have this bit. I would have to say it's the best $8 I've ever spent.

I assume FSD is on the opposite end of the spectrum. If I were to buy FSB I assume I'd feel the exact opposite of the feeling I had buying that speed start bit but multiplied by 1500.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Earlier this year I was trying to get my two stroke weed wacker going. Those pull string are great for the deltoids, not always so good for starting an engine.

I looked it over and low and behold there was a hole in the case for a specialized bit called "speed start". So I went out and bought this bit for $8. It works beautifully. I don't understand why every small engine doesn't have this bit. I would have to say it's the best $8 I've ever spent.

I assume FSD is on the opposite end of the spectrum. If I were to buy FSB I assume I'd feel the exact opposite of the feeling I had buying that speed start bit but multiplied by 1500.

I think that example would apply for deciding between not having any assistance, having Enhanced Autopilot, or having Full Self-Driving Capability,
with the additional option to buy this feature or getting a temporary monthly subscription.

Where I live (rural New Mexico) FSDb is more trouble than it's worth. If you offered to pay me $200/month to use it, I'd really have to think about it. OTOH, I'm very happy with Autopilot. I can't imagine buying a car that doesn't have AP or better.

Reactions: cdub
FSD stays with the car as long as the car does not pass through Tesla’s hands. However, if you trade it in to Tesla they will give you zero for it as they simply remove it and then resell the car without it. The new buyer will have to buy FSD from Tesla if they want it.

And Tesla will not buy it back if you decided you didn’t want it.
Tesla does offers used cars with FSD. Just look at their used car website.

Reactions: cdub