Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my cursory understanding, level 5 just means the system is capable of navigating through any routinely driven roads, which as you pointed out includes snow, heavy rain, not sure about ice though.

I think you are watering down L5. L5 has to work on ALL roads, not just routinely driven roads.

Here is what the SAE says about L5:

L5 Definition:
The sustained and unconditional (i.e., not ODD-specific) performance by an ADS of the entire DDT and DDT fallback without any expectation that a user will respond to a request to intervene.

NOTE 1: “Unconditional/not ODD-specific” means that the ADS can operate the vehicle under all driver-manageable road conditions within its region of the world. This means, for example, that there are no design-based weather, time-of-day, or geographical restrictions on where and when the ADS can operate the vehicle. However, there may be conditions not manageable by a driver in which the ADS would also be unable to complete a given trip (e.g., white-out snow storm, flooded roads, glare ice, etc.) until or unless the adverse conditions clear. At the onset of such unmanageable conditions the ADS would perform the DDT fallback to achieve a minimal risk condition (e.g., by pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for the conditions to change).

NOTE 2: In the event of a DDT performance-relevant system failure(of an ADS or the vehicle), a level 5 ADS automatically performs the DDT fallback and achieves a minimal risk condition

NOTE 3: The user does not need to supervise a level 5 ADS, nor be receptive to a request to intervene while it is engaged.

EXAMPLE: A vehicle with an ADS that, once programmed with a destination, is capable of operating the vehicle throughout complete trips on public roadways, regardless of the starting and end points or intervening road, traffic, and weather conditions.

Practical considerations regarding L5:
There are technical and practical considerations that mitigate the literal meaning of the stipulation that a level 5 ADS must be capable of ‘operating the vehicle on-road anywhere that a typically skilled human driver can reasonably operate a conventional vehicle,’ which might otherwise be impossible to achieve. For example, an ADS-equipped vehicle that is capable of operating a vehicle on all roads throughout the US, but, for legal or business reasons, cannot operate the vehicle across the border in Canada or Mexico can still be considered level 5, even if geo-fenced to operate only within the US. The rationale for this exception is that the geo-fenced limitation (i.e., US, only) is not due to limitations on the technological capability of the ADS, but rather is due to legal or business constraints, such as legal restrictions in Canada and Mexico/Central America that prohibit level 5 deployment, or the inability to make a business case for expansion to those markets.

Wow, just browsing through Twitter, it seems like some vehement Tesla critics have very quickly shifted from "FSD isn't real" to "Tesla pre-mapped every single road shown in FSD beta with LIDAR because the path prediction is too good for vision."

TSLAQ is spewing nonsense. Of course, it is all vision based.

Is it known while driving on the freeway if it is using the new code or is that still legacy? From the videos it seems to behave about the same and of course why would the display not use the beta FSD (learning) display? Also watched a Smart Summon and it seemed the same with no improvement. So is the new FSD code only being used on city streets when the display shows it is?

• Helpful
Reactions: Kmartyn and TigaFF
You and me are not able to drive on ALL roads, demanding this form computer is a hidden form of luddism.

Uh?! We can drive on all interstate highways, all state roads, all city streets, and all residential streets, even dirt roads, assuming the roads are not obstructed of course. And we can pull over or take a detour when a road is not safe to drive on. L5 does the same. That is what it means by handling its own fall-back.

We can drive on all interstate highways, all state roads, all city streets, and all residential streets, even dirt roads, assuming the roads are not obstructed of course.

No.
You are able to recognize situations you are not able to handle and either stop and/or turn back and/or take a detour. L5 does the same.
Yet this is means it is not capable of driving on ALL roads. There are roads it can't drive on.
And it is just fine.

Reactions: dhanson865
Uh?! We can drive on all interstate highways, all state roads, all city streets, and all residential streets, even dirt roads, assuming the roads are not obstructed of course. And we can pull over or take a detour when a road is not safe to drive on. L5 does the same. That is what it means by handling its own fall-back.
I think he is talking about the ability or access to the road does not mean you - the human - can handle it properly.
Like whiteout/blizzard -- the road is still there and it's paved, but normal human beings are not going to drive out in such mess.

Actually her replied.
No.
You are able to recognize situations you are not able to handle and either stop and/or turn back and/or take a detour. L5 does the same.
Yet this is means it is not capable of driving on ALL roads. There are roads it can't drive on.
And it is just fine.

I dunno, greentheonly is convinced they’re right...or is green TSLAQ?

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1320052226069594112?s=21
Green is neither right nor TSLAQ (or at least he hasn't said that he was Q).
He started out by actually just posting factual bits that he found in the firmware, now he's become a full on "analyst and expert" in his own eyes of what Tesla is doing and their thought process.

If you want to, here is an example of this -- follow greens replies to this post and my further follow up questions FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I dunno, greentheonly is convinced they’re right...or is green TSLAQ?

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1320052226069594112?s=21
I am going to save this as a screenshot here for posterity.
@verygreen is calling Karpathy, and everyone on Tesla AI who has spoken publicly and repeatedly about not using HD maps a liar!
Tesla is a publicly traded company, why doesn't he just give his "facts" to the regulators/FBI??
BTW, notice how I cannot read the original tweet, that is because I am blocked, and I've NEVER interacted with GretaMusk on twitter -- so, they subscribe to the TSLAQ block list.
Wonderful "source" for your "facts" green! Great, reliable, consistent, source of truth!
upload_2020-10-25_8-50-33.png

Reactions: john5520 and 82bert
One more thought!
You can argue this is not "centimeter-level" HD maps all you want, but entire road markings are premapped in this example.
Tesla has released the early FSD Beta to 8 states (FL, CA, RI, OR, CT, AZ, WI, HI) that we have confirmation through social media.
And they try out random streets in the different cities.

Hey @verygreen does that mean that Tesla has figured out how to HD map all these states and cities and roads faster than the "industry leader in autonomous driving" Waymo?

Damn, I think @diplomat33 is going to be disappointed. -- that would make Tesla the leader not only in FSD but in HD mapping technology as well, ALL without a lidar! ;)

upload_2020-10-25_9-0-59.png

Just so, I don't get flack from the peanut gallery, green went on to solidify his position in replies.
upload_2020-10-25_9-6-33.png

Last edited: