Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would ou feel about them rolling it out with confirmations required for various maneuvers that are deemed risky?

Coming from a professional pilot career, and after watching many of the videos of FSD in town autopilot, I am beginning to feel as the autopilot becomes more capable, and if they release city FSD with the “confirmation” required in many instances, Tesla should institute at least a rudimentary training program on it’s proper use, and possible problematic areas.

This technology is very new to most of us. I have already seen one post by a new owner/member who did not know confirmation was required to continue through a green light, and thought it very unsafe when the car started braking for them.

I know, RTFM, and I agree with that up too a point. But you don’t just give a more complex aircraft to a pilot used to flying a simpler aircraft, tell them to RTFM, and turn them loose. Training is also required to safely understand and operate the more complex systems. Not much time would be required, I don’t believe, it’s not an aircraft, maybe 30 minutes or so just to familiarize new owners, maybe a little more.

If owners don’t understand how the system works, I feel Tesla is missing a bet in not at least offering some training to new owners, if only to have them decline it and absolve them of some liability if something goes wrong.

Yeah, I also know how understaffed they are at many delivery centers, but I still think it’s good idea, especially as the cars become more capable of complex driving.

Just my .02c

Years ago, when the tech was more primitive, yeah, many people did not see L5 happening before 2030. But as the tech has gotten better, L5 looks to happen sooner. Today, I think most AV companies say L5 will happen before 2030. For example, Mobileye is saying they will deliver L5 as ride-hailing by 2022 and L5 in consumer cars by 2025.

RPJSZbj.png

Every company working on FSD has been saying for a long time that FSD will be ready in "5 years". The timespan never changes - those deadlines come and go.

The difference with Tesla is instead of 5, Musk says 1 year.

Reactions: GSP
Every company working on FSD has been saying for a long time that FSD will be ready in "5 years". The timespan never changes - those deadlines come and go.

The difference with Tesla is instead of 5, Musk says 1 year.

Sure but I was addressing powertoold's point that people are saying that it will be 2030 or later before L5 happens. I was providing a counter example of a company saying L5 will happen before 2030.

Coming from a professional pilot career, and after watching many of the videos of FSD in town autopilot, I am beginning to feel as the autopilot becomes more capable, and if they release city FSD with the “confirmation” required in many instances, Tesla should institute at least a rudimentary training program on it’s proper use, and possible problematic areas.

This technology is very new to most of us. I have already seen one post by a new owner/member who did not know confirmation was required to continue through a green light, and thought it very unsafe when the car started braking for them.

I know, RTFM, and I agree with that up too a point. But you don’t just give a more complex aircraft to a pilot used to flying a simpler aircraft, tell them to RTFM, and turn them loose. Training is also required to safely understand and operate the more complex systems. Not much time would be required, I don’t believe, it’s not an aircraft, maybe 30 minutes or so just to familiarize new owners, maybe a little more.

If owners don’t understand how the system works, I feel Tesla is missing a bet in not at least offering some training to new owners, if only to have them decline it and absolve them of some liability if something goes wrong.

Yeah, I also know how understaffed they are at many delivery centers, but I still think it’s good idea, especially as the cars become more capable of complex driving.

Just my .02c

Agreed with more knowledge needed to operate AP correctly. I am also a pilot (though recreational only), and more complex aircraft definitely need training before safe operation in a similar way to new AP software features. The main difference is that a Tesla vehicle can still be driven manually in the same way before/after AP feature releases.

I think a good idea might be for Tesla to create training videos, different ones targeted to each new feature, and make those available in different channels. For example, if a new AP feature is released, the associated video is launched on Tesla’s website. Additionally, when a user tries to enable the feature from the car’s touchscreen for the first time, the video is automatically played and must be watched entirely before the feature is enabled.

Reactions: GSP and Cheburashka

How would you feel, if instead of person-to-person training, every time a driver profile activates an untrained feature, the user interface would force to park safely and go through a step-by-step tutorial of the particular feature?

• Love
Reactions: WattPwr
How would you feel, if instead of person-to-person training, every time a driver profile activates an untrained feature, the user interface would force to park safely and go through a step-by-step tutorial of the particular feature?

I think a live person would be nice if only answer any questions. I spent a lot of time watching videos and reading the manual before I picked up my car, and still had a small list of questions for my agent on delivery day, and they did spend some time with me.

Very small % of people read manuals / go through any kind of training. If you make online training mandatory, they will just let the training run and not pay attention. Thats is why the industry focuses on making the software "intuitive".

Companies I've worked in have mandatory internal training (mainly for legal purposes) - with questions to be answered at the end of each topic - and yet most people just don't read / don't pay attention to the video and just "guess" (or seach for answers) and answer the questions.

Can we at least handle a Green Light without confirmation?

Not likely any time soon. That's one of the most difficult and dangerous situations for driver aids like FSD. It has to identify the correct light from potentially many, and if it gets it wrong for some reason (e.g. occlusion, reflections, wrong light) you could get into a really nasty accident.

Elon now says two or three revisions before large scale FSD release. He mostly underestimates the time requirements, so maybe 4 or 5 revisions. At a revision/update every 5-10 days then it’s 25 days to 50 days that we likely will have to wait.

You know, we might get be able to get vaccinations for Covid before we get FSD...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Elon now says two or three rewrites before large scale FSD release. He mostly underestimates the time requirements, so maybe 4 or 5 rewrites. At a rewrite/update every 5-10 days then it’s 25 days to 50 days that we likely will have to wait.

You know, we might get be able to get vaccinations for Covid before we get FSD...

Oh, was that a tweet?

Doesn't a re-write imply a fairly big chunk of work, like a year or more? That seems about right, 5+ years away.

Elon now says two or three rewrites before large scale FSD release. He mostly underestimates the time requirements, so maybe 4 or 5 rewrites. At a rewrite/update every 5-10 days then it’s 25 days to 50 days that we likely will have to wait..
Revisions are not rewrites.

We have had 8 FSD revisions released so far. His latest tweet says "A few more revisions needed. Probably Beta 10 or 11", each revision has come about 2 weeks apart (earlier ones were one week apart)...

If you are referring to his tweet: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1342909163903455233

Reactions: diplomat33
....If you're fast enough, you can tap the gas and the car will not brake.
I tried tapping my gas but my 3 still braked.:eek: How much gas do you have to pass to accomplish this?o_O:D

Never know but I doubt much work is being done on the current AP since it is legacy. Probably "all hands on deck" for the engineers working on FSD 4D code now.

Maybe we could get a "watered down" version of FSD 4D for city driving that would go through Green Lights and maybe some right turns for now.