Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD. This should be interesting!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With just basic AP I think my M3 works very well at motorways, and am curious what extra EAP or even FSD can do, other than lane changes?
Parking assist and summon. Parking was dreadful (slow and as it aligned with nearby cars it wouldn't think twice about curbing an alloy), some say it's improved, but I've had it on cars for years and always found I could park quicker myself, summon which you can get to work if you stand in the right spot, but only really useful if yu have a tendency to park in tight parking spots. I think they might also have traffic light stop and go, not sure that I'd trust it if it did.

My M3 had EAP on it when I bought it, when I ordered my MY I didn't bother but I can see an (expensive) argument for it. Why anyone would buy FSD is beyond me.

I'm clearly alone. I have FSD and quite happy with it as an aid, I never believe any businesses claim about its products - lies is an interchangeable word with marketing. Toothpaste does work as they claim, nor washing powder and indeed almost everything created has its foibles and issues - You have to accept they sort of work under ideal conditions - you know like range of a BEV or how many MPG a car will do.

If a resolution is ever achieved and I was offered a refund I'm sure I would prefer whatever it takes to be added to my car hardware and software wise to make it fully FSD - failing that then I would consider a partial refund - maybe 50% and keep FSD at whatever its current functional level is, however, I don't believe the class action will succeed and absolutely no chance for the UK as our current restrictive laws has crippled the FSD function in comparison to the USA - so not a Tesla problem at the moment - and should that moment ever come the model 3 will be an antiquated old car - sold on many times and any value for the loss of FSD and compensation will probably be enough to cover a day's energy consumption at home.

On quiet motorways at night my FSD works superbly - just doesn't care too much for others being on the road or off the motorways - but It'll do.
I can promise you there are several thousand happy Tesla owners in the UK. This forum is not representative of this in any shape or form. I honestly cant wait to test FSD and have a much realistic understanding of how long producing a realworld AI might take.

I'll have to keep the car until it arrives then. Three years and counting...
Realistically I only ever expected it to work on motorways, not Devon lanes with sheep and have used summon out of the garage, but it won't go back in, as it's too tight.
If I was buying now I'd just go for EAP ;)

Parking assist and summon. Parking was dreadful (slow and as it aligned with nearby cars it wouldn't think twice about curbing an alloy), some say it's improved, but I've had it on cars for years and always found I could park quicker myself, summon which you can get to work if you stand in the right spot, but only really useful if yu have a tendency to park in tight parking spots. I think they might also have traffic light stop and go, not sure that I'd trust it if it did.

My M3 had EAP on it when I bought it, when I ordered my MY I didn't bother but I can see an (expensive) argument for it. Why anyone would buy FSD is beyond me.
FSD is a promise to implement full self driving. There are people who believe in this promise fully knowing that they personally may not benefit. Auto park and summon could improve in the future while the current focus is entirely on FSD beta public launch.

Do you know the driving license pass rate in a city is much lower than country or town? Have you seen any human driver drive perfectly in New York?
I’ve seen plenty who handle busy cities better than FSD did in that video. For something that’s meant to be feature complete in a few months it looks miles away from being able to handle anything other than the most simple, empty routes.

I’ve seen plenty who handle busy cities better than FSD did in that video. For something that’s meant to be feature complete in a few months it looks miles away from being able to handle anything other than the most simple, empty routes.
Feature complete is for a version. You can launch products that are complete but with an evolving roadmap that could take a while.

So which version is the robotaxis that were promised years ago? 😂
Visionaries think big and tend to be overconfident in their view. Dreaming is just 1%, and implementation is the remaining 99% and would take lots of hard work and commitment. Elon even said he would send humans to Mars in a decade. To send a human to the moon in a decade took a million people to work together with unlimited funding. We know things are possible, but it is a question of time and money.

Visionaries think big and tend to be overconfident in their view. Dreaming is just 1%, and implementation is the remaining 99% and would take lots of hard work and commitment. Elon even said he would send humans to Mars in a decade. To send a human to the moon in a decade took a million people to work together with unlimited funding. We know things are possible, but it is a question of time and money.
Elon says a lot of things but the reality is, there are companies in the US operating robotaxis in cities, and Tesla isn't one of them. The hardware isn't there in our existing Teslas so at best, we'll get 'FSD lite'. Ie, it'll work in good lighting and good weather conditions. Thats the best we can reasonably hope for.

Reactions: CWT3LR
FSD is a promise to implement full self driving. There are people who believe in this promise fully knowing that they personally may not benefit. Auto park and summon could improve in the future while the current focus is entirely on FSD beta public launch.
I get that, I’m just not sure why I should subsidise the richest man in the world with some of the biggest margins on his car production, when they give you nothing back when you trade in.

I get that, I’m just not sure why I should subsidise the richest man in the world with some of the biggest margins on his car production, when they give you nothing back when you trade in.
I don't have an answer to this argument. But I personally feel that my contract (promise) is with Tesla the company, and not its CEO. I wouldn't worry if the CEO got replaced with someone else.

Elon says a lot of things but the reality is, there are companies in the US operating robotaxis in cities, and Tesla isn't one of them. The hardware isn't there in our existing Teslas so at best, we'll get 'FSD lite'. Ie, it'll work in good lighting and good weather conditions. Thats the best we can reasonably hope for.
Robot taxi is just a marketing term. Even "full self-driving" is marketing junk. In the US, Tesla can perfectly launch a taxi service with what they have, which could be legal but might affect the brand. Remember, the iPad Pro is marketed as a laptop replacement.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
I can promise you there are several thousand happy Tesla owners in the UK. This forum is not representative of this in any shape or form. I honestly cant wait to test FSD and have a much realistic understanding of how long producing a realworld AI might take.
Would you mind signposting me to this UK community you speak of? Because if a Tesla UK forum with many FSD buyers are, isn't representative of the majority view for FSD, then I'm struggling to see what could be.

Hahahahahahaha

Have you seen any videos of FSD? Also going back to the video I posted, what’s the point of a Robotaxi if it can’t handle busy city centres?
The best that Tesla seems able to deliver is a level 2 ADAS. For there to be a genuine robotaxi (that to all but the most ardent of fanboys would imply zero driver intervention needed) FSD would need to deliver level 5. Tesla is not even close to a level 3, let alone the much more difficult level 4. And I think that at present, no-one else is close to level 5, but some are approaching level 4.

Why anyone would donate £6,000 to the world's most highly valued company to develop a product that might never be useful seems - extravagant?

The best that Tesla seems able to deliver is a level 2 ADAS. For there to be a genuine robotaxi (that to all but the most ardent of fanboys would imply zero driver intervention needed) FSD would need to deliver level 5. Tesla is not even close to a level 3, let alone the much more difficult level 4. And I think that at present, no-one else is close to level 5, but some are approaching level 4.

Why anyone would donate £6,000 to the world's most highly valued company to develop a product that might never be useful seems - extravagant?
They’re far from the world’s most highly valued company. However, your points are valid. There is a huge chasm between where even FSD beta currently stands and level 5. Musk’s constant claims of “later this year” have become somewhat of a joke. Whilst I can certainly see level 3 on dual carriageways in the near future, I have very little hope I’ll be able to arrive at the airport and summon my car to me from home any time soon.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Visionaries think big and tend to be overconfident in their view. Dreaming is just 1%, and implementation is the remaining 99% and would take lots of hard work and commitment.
When it comes to Musk it’s more like 99% dreaming and 1% implementation. His track record on fulfilling promises about FSD are appalling. Which is why I’m constantly amazed that there are still so many remarkably gullible people out there who are convinced by the complete crap he comes out with.

When it comes to Musk it’s more like 99% dreaming and 1% implementation. His track record on fulfilling promises about FSD are appalling. Which is why I’m constantly amazed that there are still so many remarkably gullible people out there who are convinced by the complete crap he comes out with.
It’s impossible to reason with gullible people. You can’t educate pork.