Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 has a dummy camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it already had a dummy camera!

1678394278274.jpeg

In the autopilot sub forum where HW4 cameras has been talked about, it was suspected the new HD camera would replace 2 of the existing cameras as you could effectively digitally zoom in. Why they’d have a blank I’ve no idea unless, I presume it’s not the old housing?

I’ve also seen talk the rain sensor might be back. That would be quite radical news

lol, the tear-down also noted there was only one available additional input for cameras to the computer, so previous reports were false.

???

The article linked above is actually referring to previous reports - specifically Green's teardown of the HW4 computer. There were 12 camera inputs with one being labelled as 'spare'. They aren't noting that there is in fact only one additional camera input compared to HW3 if that's what you are saying.

The dummy camera is totally bizarre though! Only explanation I can think of is Tesla are so cheap that not only are they retaining the existing three-camera housing, but also, rather than tooling and producing a blank, they are using up existing stock of case/lens assys of the no longer needed third camera to plug the hole?

Last edited:
Something else worth noting is that there is evidence that HW4 may be used in different configurations for different vehicles, or even possibly different specifications. So there may well be a different configuration for SX3Y and a different one for CT or even truck.

Purely speculation, maybe that an FSD equipped car will get a different configuration too - in early days, Tesla certainly said that EAP/FSD used more cameras than regular Autopilot, although that distinction has long gone. But not unreasonable to think that sensor capabilities needed for EAP and/or FSD may be different to regular Autopilot and saving a few $$ on not fitting an unneeded sensor may well now be a factor.

Reactions: ringi
Purely speculation, maybe that an FSD equipped car will get a different configuration too - in early days, Tesla certainly said that EAP/FSD used more cameras than regular Autopilot, although that distinction has long gone. But not unreasonable to think that sensor capabilities needed for EAP and/or FSD may be different to regular Autopilot and saving a few $$ on not fitting an unneeded sensor may well now be a factor.
Not out of the question, but I think quite unlikely. Tesla's whole plan is made around making manufacture as simple and as automated as possible. Having a single base setup for every car with the seat colour being pretty much the only "option" (wheels are easy) makes for a very stadardised build. Plus, how would they sell EAP/FSD as software options if they are not built into every car?

Something else worth noting is that there is evidence that HW4 may be used in different configurations for different vehicles, or even possibly different specifications. So there may well be a different configuration for SX3Y and a different one for CT or even truck.

How would that reconcile with the ability to add EAP/FSD as an upgrade? All cars will need the same number of sensors/cameras to manage that eventuality.

How would that reconcile with the ability to add EAP/FSD as an upgrade? All cars will need the same number of sensors/cameras to manage that eventuality.
How do HW2.x -> HW3, or CCS upgrades currently work?

If you are paying to add an expensive option (EAP and subscription it was an additional cost, FSD it was included in the price of FSD), then a return to base, or possibly a mobile/ranger is not out of the question? That also gives you access to the spec current at that time, rather than fitting something ahead of time, and it being out of date when you want to add ESP/FSD, you get latest spec/configuration.