Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer Offer - COMPLAINT wrt totaled car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a 4+ year old owner of a m3LR with FSD. I wanted to take advantage of the FSD transfer and have emails showing interest, wanting to schedule a test drive, etc.
However, last weekend, I was involved in an accident. The car will be totaled and Tesla is telling me that now due to this event, the promotion is invalid and they won't do it.

I find this completely unfair and unacceptable especially since I expressed intent prior to the accident and now, they won't reply to my emails and the last message I got was sorry...your model 3 is not eligible anymore if deemed a total loss.

I tried to go to management and did talk to one in NV and the only thing they would do is place me in a model that was already on the lot in Paramus. I live in NH so inter-Tesla store transfers would take too long. Even that was iffy with transport delays. The stipulation was that I had to take delivery before insurance towed the car away.
At this point, my car has been towed and I’ll get a payout this week but I really wished someone at Tesla would have done something. I didn’t purposely total my car and I’m not trying to skirt the rules. Tesla throughout has seemed indifferent only offering pressuring answers like buying a new car on the spot and if I didn’t like it or it had problems I would forfeit that FSD transfer as well.

Rant over but this company really really sucks sometimes.

So my issue is that there are always corner cases. The rules of the offer don’t really spell out what happens in my situation and as such, the software team should accommodate on a case by case basis.

The reason you need to be the owner is that your friend can’t just gift you FSD or you can’t claim FSD from another user’s account. This is easily verifiable.

However in my case, I owned my car for over 4 yrs, Tesla even confirmed it…they then went on to say that my current totaled car didn’t even need to be online (it’s not due to the accident). So this transfer is just a backend account switch to move FSD from one VIN to another.

Technically it’s simple to do and Tesla could have made this right given the circumstances

It’s simply not your car anymore after you totaled it and the insurance company takes possession. It’s like if you sold your car to someone else but wanted to transfer the FSD after they took ownership. That’s why they wanted you to buy a car ASAP so they can transfer it while you still owned it.

Presumably the insurance company would have value your old car taking into account FSD. No, it wouldn’t have been equal to the cost of adding FSD to a new car, but you are still being paid for its value. Then to ask Tesla to transfer it on top of that is kind of double dipping.

The thing was I was happy to place an order for one before the car was deemed totaled. That accommodation could have easily been granted. Heck I was scheduled to take a test drive last Monday (accident was last Saturday). So intent was there and WHAT IF I had placed the order and was waiting when this happened. Tesla wouldn’t have done it in that case either.

My point being is this is an easy fix on their end. They just refuse to do it.

Of course it’s an easy fix and, of course, they are refusing to do it. Unfortunately, in corporate America, there’s no “just” involved.

Since the whole thing is about inducing demand, Tesla isn’t actually attempting to do right by the customer and normal motivators like competition don’t even seem to factor in. You can try telling them you’ll just be buying a Hyundai instead but I’m pretty sure it won’t change anything.

Maybe Xing Elon will get some traction but I highly doubt it.

Reactions: afadeev
If you had ordered the new Tesla and filled out the FSD transfer form before the accident, you would probably be OK. Trade ins are not required and Tesla probably would not have know. But showing interest is not the same as there was an order on the books and in process.

Reactions: afadeev
LOL. Tesla is running the promotion to push people to purchase their new inventories. Since your car was totaled. You definitely need a new one. And likely another tesla. So they don't see the need to give you this extra benefit. The only thing you can do to pay back is not get another tesla. Can you? If you can't leave Tesla. Tesla wins. And if you shell out another $15K for the useless FSD. Tesla wins even more. Tesla is not your friend. They only want your wallet.

First, congrats on owning a Tesla at 4, some kids your age are still pooping themselves.
Second, when you get older you’ll learn that life isn’t always fair and you don’t always get what you want. In this case since Tesla requires you to trade in the car you’re transferring FSD from, kind of hard to fault them in saying the offer isn’t valid for you. Since, we’ll…..you have no car to trade in anymore.
Keep your head up kid, you’ll be ok.

First, congrats on owning a Tesla at 4, some kids your age are still pooping themselves.
Second, when you get older you’ll learn that life isn’t always fair and you don’t always get what you want. In this case since Tesla requires you to trade in the car you’re transferring FSD from, kind of hard to fault them in saying the offer isn’t valid for you. Since, we’ll…..you have no car to trade in anymore.
Keep your head up kid, you’ll be ok.
No trade in required if you actually read the terms first before blasting a snarky reply.

I love my M3LR and have had generally good experience with my SC, BUT...

I put this stuff into a category I call "pissing into a fan". I place all things futile there so I don't beat my head against immovable forces. My brother ran into that wall when he bought his second X after the brand new one they owned was totaled by a city truck. He accidentally selected the wrong interior color when placing the order. At the time, delivery for Xs was over a year. When he emailed his sales rep, he was told he had to cancel the order, eat the deposit and re-order. Nothing he did to point out the total insanity of what they were doing made a difference. Their system is very rigid and their employees are trained to stick to that system, regardless of what's right or fair.

This is the kind of behavior that Tesla has no impetus to correct until they get some real competition. All that said, I'd still buy another one! 🤪

Reactions: ionsphere and voxel