Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer One Time Offer - Is Elon just mocking us now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I presume the fact that Tesla offered the transfer of fsd to a new car with a clause that once sold on FSD would be removed - suggests to me a chink of light at the end of a tunnel.
Believing Tesla as a company are dishonest and Elon Musk a money grabbing arsehole they want to offload the current model 3 prior to launching the new model 3 (like all manufacturers do) so a little sweetener is offered to encourage people to do it - But, I remember their last offer to take early delivery with 6000 miles free supercharging and once the cars were picked up promptly devalued them by discounting new cars by up to £8K. So offers from Tesla have a hidden agenda - they aren't being nice because they don't know how to be - its greed.

The fact Tesla introduced that clause suggests to me that perhaps there is a big step forward in the potential of FSD on the horizon - Tesla and Elon want a share of the commercial value of a car that could perform FSD and by allowing the transfer to a new car gets them a new sale but then restricting the inclusion of FSD on a future sale of that vehicle must indicate there is a commercial advantage for them to do that. Now currently FSD in the UK is absolutely worthless, Its better in the USA but still with lots of flaws and as it has had some improvement in the USA over the last year or so they raised the price of it to $15000 - so they charge more the more useful they consider it performs

FSD equipped Tesla's sold privately have always kept the feature as it was a paid for extra - to suddenly have the mindset to generate a clause to prevent that occurring again means there has to be something they don't want continuing and owners passing FSD on. Obviously they cant introduce a new clause for existing owners but they can as a condition of a new sale - and so they tried it.

Whatever the reason for the climbdown the fact they introduced it means they have to feel FSD will soon be more than a pipe dream and they want their share.
If FSD ever works as Elon believes it will, FSD will be more of a money spinner for them than the cars themselves.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
There's a chance they're self opinionated enough to think they'll have a functional system in 3 to 4 years when those cars are sold . But until they have 2 to 3 times camera redundancy and a camera cleaning system on board then robot taxis are the pipe dream I got suckered into ..

I presume the fact that Tesla offered the transfer of fsd to a new car with a clause that once sold on FSD would be removed - suggests to me a chink of light at the end of a tunnel.
Believing Tesla as a company are dishonest and Elon Musk a money grabbing arsehole they want to offload the current model 3 prior to launching the new model 3 (like all manufacturers do) so a little sweetener is offered to encourage people to do it - But, I remember their last offer to take early delivery with 6000 miles free supercharging and once the cars were picked up promptly devalued them by discounting new cars by up to £8K. So offers from Tesla have a hidden agenda - they aren't being nice because they don't know how to be - its greed.

The fact Tesla introduced that clause suggests to me that perhaps there is a big step forward in the potential of FSD on the horizon - Tesla and Elon want a share of the commercial value of a car that could perform FSD and by allowing the transfer to a new car gets them a new sale but then restricting the inclusion of FSD on a future sale of that vehicle must indicate there is a commercial advantage for them to do that. Now currently FSD in the UK is absolutely worthless, Its better in the USA but still with lots of flaws and as it has had some improvement in the USA over the last year or so they raised the price of it to $15000 - so they charge more the more useful they consider it performs

FSD equipped Tesla's sold privately have always kept the feature as it was a paid for extra - to suddenly have the mindset to generate a clause to prevent that occurring again means there has to be something they don't want continuing and owners passing FSD on. Obviously they cant introduce a new clause for existing owners but they can as a condition of a new sale - and so they tried it.

Whatever the reason for the climbdown the fact they introduced it means they have to feel FSD will soon be more than a pipe dream and they want their share.
If FSD ever works as Elon believes it will, FSD will be more of a money spinner for them than the cars themselves.

Except that Tesla has stated on their support page that they will NOT remove FSD if the new car is sold privately in the future.
Full Self-Driving Capability Transfers | Tesla Support
  • If I sell my new vehicle, will the FSD capability stay with it?
    Yes. Once you transfer your FSD capability, it will stay with the new vehicle. If you sell the new vehicle, the FSD capability will stay with the vehicle and be available to the new vehicle owner.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Except that Tesla has stated on their support page that they will NOT remove FSD if the new car is sold privately in the future.
Full Self-Driving Capability Transfers | Tesla Support
I think your missing the point. Cars with FSD sold privately continue to retain the FSD software, Tesla announced in the UK that if an owner with a car that has FSD trades it in for a new model 3 as a one off they will remove FSD from the current vehicle and enable it on the new car - with a proviso - If the person sells that car in the future privately on the change of ownership Tesla will disable the FSD package.

Since that announcement they have made another one - backtracking and clarifying they have rescinded that proviso and confirmed the car will continue to have FSD if sold privately in the future - and that was my point - why the proviso in the first place?