Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer One Time Offer - Is Elon just mocking us now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Doesn't seem like we have a UK centric post about this yet and obviously its a different animal for us vs the USA because, well they actually have something tangible they can use.

The TL;DR is that Elon has said for the next few weeks (Q3) you can order and have delivered a new Tesla while transferring your FSD over from your old vehicle.

He's said it will be a one time only offer.

Oh and you've got to trade your car in to Tesla. So my model 3, just over 2 years old, purchased for 57k with FSD is now being valued by them at 30k trade in...but I get to keep FSD with a new car?

Yeah no thanks. While I get this is aimed at older vehicles what annoys me is that his attitude on the earnings call and the laughter when basically saying, your only getting this offer once.

Oh and you've got to trade your car in to Tesla.
Or buy an additional one 😆

1689881582784.png

Honestly, this customer service :) cracks me up.

When I bought my model 3 in 2019 (I think I actually ordered it a few years before) and read "driving on city streets by the end of the year" I sorta shrugged it off and thought no harm in paying for something a few months early. Jokes on me of course, I didn't know much about Tesla at the time so just assumed it was legit.

This just smells of US centric appeasement. Sure in the US, if you paid for something for $5k 3/4 years ago, forking out $15k would be a deal breaker. Easy for me to imagine that. In the US there is a reasonable chance of FSD being useful in a couple of years.

It is a very different story in the EU. Even less likely in the UK. I actually emailed Tesla a few months ago and nicely asked them to refund me the different between Enhanced Autopilot and FSD. Since it didn't exist and they said it would. They told me, in quite a lengthy email, to get to ****.

Honestly I think it is funny at this point in time :) I am too lazy to try and take them to court but I won't be buying another Tesla. It's bizarre, they didn't do marketing for years because their early adopters basically sold the cars for them. Now I'd recommend, to complete strangers when they ask, drowning yourself in your own urine before buying a Tesla.

Just hanging around until a fairly acceptable alternative becomes available. If not, I'll just walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enquired this morning. No FSD trade in the U.K.
Even if it were, it would be a trade down as USS-less cars won’t have summon or auto park
At least on mine it all works to some degree.

Probably EM has started to realise that FSD won’t work on older cars and hopes to move people on before the lawsuits erupt.

I enquired this morning. No FSD trade in the U.K.
Even if it were, it would be a trade down as USS-less cars won’t have summon or auto park
At least on mine it all works to some degree.

Probably EM has started to realise that FSD won’t work on older cars and hopes to move people on before the lawsuits erupt.
I would say there is a good chance they will do it in the UK. It is fairly normal for the global teams at Tesla to not have all the information required to do their job. Try again in a week. I like to imagine that when Elon said the Cybertruck would float, was exactly the same time that the engineers designing it found out.

edit: Do summon and autopark actually work well enough to care about right now?

I would say there is a good chance they will do it in the UK. It is fairly normal for the global teams at Tesla to not have all the information required to do their job. Try again in a week. I like to imagine that when Elon said the Cybertruck would float, was exactly the same time that the engineers designing it found out.

edit: Do summon and autopark actually work well enough to care about right now?
Yes. As long as the car is alone in the middle of nowhere… 😂

• Funny
Reactions: DaveG_NJ and iaineh
If it was available in UK it would seem that it’s a one time transfer to you. So you only get the benefit on the new car (scheduled for delivery prior to end of quarter, or cynic in me reads this as end of line/pre highland/HW3) and cannot be transferred to a future owner.

Also looks like FSD buyback may be a (unofficial) thing that possibly may have helped trigger this rethink.

Edit - just noticed above post which effectively says same

I’m awaiting a trade in value on my November 2022 purchased 2023 MYP FSD - Keen to see the numbers to see if trading my 12k mile vehicle for a new one. Although the fact that the FSD will not transfer should I sell the new one stinks a bit as the resale value will drop if FSD ever appears in the UK.

If FSD is ever at that stage a software update will give us robo-taxi or something similar then we will get notice of it from Elon and Tesla prior to the software being released - and we will know by another act of dishonesty and subterfuge - something they are very adept at given previous behaviour.

FSD working as advertised would be worth a fortune, every car with it would be worth tens of thousands of pounds on top of the value of the car - you wouldn't be able to buy even one of the first cars in the UK with FSD for less than £50K, Its commercial value is significant.

Prior to the software update being launched, out of the blue Tesla will be offering customers with FSD a one off opportunity for them to buy back either partially or in full what was paid by the customer for the FSD package under the guise that they are responding to customers who are unhappy with their fsd package and would be happy with a refund.
Next will come the withdrawal of FSD as a sale - it will become a subscription monthly payment only - then a month or two later the software will be updated.

I don't trust Elon or Tesla to do the right thing, they have little to no moral compass and dishonesty is an ingrained trait they are well practiced in.

Others have said they wouldn't buy another Tesla - I am in that club too, Love my Car but Hate Tesla.

I did seriously consider buying Full Self Drive...

But then reality soon settled on the car playing 'auld lang syne' on new years eve, with a light show that looks like a medical episode.

Close... but not quite the same

Emergency braking at bridge shadows on the motorway is as clever as it got.

Now in contrast, my Wife's new Skoda Enyaq VRS is nice to drive.

Cruise Control doesn't randomly yank the steering wheel as you pass an exit ramp on the motorway.

It doesn't go from 70 mph to 50 mph on the motorway for absolutely no reason.

It doesn't make screeching noises if it spots a pedestrian on the pavement.

Quite pleasant actually... Augmented HUD painting the road ahead with moving graphics is nice...

Ok not the news I wanted - Purchased in Nov 22 at 74k. Trade in value today with 12k miles 8 months later has dropped £30k !
How are owners surprised at new car depreciation? In 99% of scenarios (excluding energy crises, etc) it's immediate when you roll out of the service centre with a new car. Anyone talking about the FSD transfer with anything less than a 3-5 year old car has more money than sense.

I have a 5 year old Model X worth £150,000 new. It's now worth £50,000. That's £20k per year depreciation. I'm not shocked.

How are owners surprised at new car depreciation? In 99% of scenarios (excluding energy crises, etc) it's immediate when you roll out of the service centre with a new car. Anyone talking about the FSD transfer with anything less than a 3-5 year old car has more money than sense.

I have a 5 year old Model X worth £150,000 new. It's now worth £50,000. That's £20k per year depreciation. I'm not shocked.

This is the first time I have purchased a car outright instead of doing PCP and handing it back every 3 years. I was adamant that this time round, I wanted some kind of equity at the end so I wouldn't keep having to start from scratch. Thanks to some inheritance, I ended up paying the car off fully after 2 years instead of running it through to the 6.

I wouldn't say I was "surprised" at the depreciation. But it still kind of hurts to see it there in black and white. Especially that I paid 37k to clear off the balance a few months ago.

That said, I'm not seriously looking at changing right now, it was only because of the FSD thing that I even curiously looked into it. I am worried about what to do when the warranty is going to expire. I also am ever so slightly regretting moving away from the SUV shape, because my old fat ass is finding it a tad more difficult to get in and out of the 3.

On a different note, I have just been somewhat amused because I went to Tesla Chelmsford to get 2 things looked at. Wiper fluid sensor always reporting empty and drivers seat not calibrating.

After 3 hours, the tech had replaced my HV charge cable as there was an updated one available and thanks to the shutdown process, when it fired it back up, the other 2 problems had fixed themselves.

So I essentially just had them reboot my pc....

(BTW I have done the 2 button reset multiple times. This one obviously needed the HV battery disconnected)

Cars only depreciate at the point of sale - if your not selling you've lost nothing. I don't care what others think my car is worth - to me its not going to be up for sale anytime soon, A year or so ago I did look at a new one and Tesla offered me more than i paid for the car - and recently I see them going for peanuts - so the price will only be known when the time comes to sell.

I've lost money on every single car I've ever owned despite every single car is in better condition when i sell it than when i bought it, I hate less than perfect, cant stand rattles or squeaks and if something - even tiny isn't right I put it right. Cars are my love and my hobby and all hobbies cost money, what i spend on maintaining my cars would probably horrify many. I'm a bit OCD about detailing too. No scratches, dinks or dents yet.

My 2020 M3p is superb, fault free apart from the stuff that Tesla cant get to work - like FSD, Summon and the little quirks that come and go but its a keeper.

Reboots are common but don't always sort every issue out though the HV disconnect does tend to be the most effective if something is a bit stubborn - and its dead easy to do, open the drivers door and rear drivers side door, shut down the car using the screen, lift the back seat up, lift the polystyrene cover up and underneath is the HV connection on the penthouse - just a lever on the top, slide the lever towards you and it arcs downwards - as the lever lowers the connector lifts and you will hear a loud crack or knock - its the contactors opening, leave a minute or two then lift the lever and push it fully to the top and it engages with a click - the contactors close again with another thunk - then reboot the car by pressing the footbrake - everything is now rebooted

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
#4 is fun. If you sell the new vehicle, they strip FSD from it if sold privately.

Sounds like that clause may now have gone

Reactions: randompixel
Sounds like that clause may now have gone

About time. Silly they had it in there to begin with.