Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just got an email from Tesla that offers me an upgrade to FSD for $3,000 as an owner who has purchased EAP.

Only problem is I do not have EAP. I bought my car at the end of April after the transition to AP.

I did click on the link and my account is correct that the price is $6,000 right now.

I still do have the trial of FSD (NoAP, etc.) for more than the 60 days I was told I would have it. Guessing it may have been stretched out. I only used it a couple of times to try it out so no biggie when it is taken away.

Just thought it funny I get this email. I guess par for the course that Tesla doesn't even know what their customers have. LOL!

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
while I appreciate the discount, I'm a little amused by the wording of this email I just got from Tesla...

As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time.
Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces.
The price of this upgrade will increase on August 16.

they have it worded as if I need to buy the upgrade to get NOA and/or summon, which isn't accurate. I already have them with enhanced AP...

I just got my email as well. $3K, I do have FSD (received car ~ July of 2018), but still don't know. I didn't buy it up front because I was convinced it was vaporware, and so far, I've been right. Enhanced summon? My car barely knows when to automatically parallel park, it only figures that out 10% of the time. Still wondering if I would be wasting my money getting the upgrade. I am really glad I lucked into the FSD group.

Which leads me to my question- the email implies FSD comes with NOA, but if I am in the FSD group, I'll still have NOA regardless... won't I?

while I appreciate the discount, I'm a little amused by the wording of this email I just got from Tesla...

they have it worded as if I need to buy the upgrade to get NOA and/or summon, which isn't accurate. I already have them with enhanced AP...
Is that the entire text of the email that you quoted?

I also have EAP in both my Teslas and the email text you show in your post fails to describe what the FSDC option will add to EAP. Strange.

What does the $3,000 upgrade to Full Self-Driving include? Is there a hardware upgrade involved?

I received the same email and already own EAP including NOA and Summon. The email is very confusing and does not describe any new functions that we already have.

• Informative
Reactions: mpt
Here's the text from the email I just got. And I didn't buy anything extra for EAP when I purchased my Tesla 3 on April 30th:

As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time.
Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces.

I wonder if anyone actually double checks what they are writing and sending. Probably just a low level marketing person and is having some fun with us.

Wouldn't you think they have a database by VIN of those with EAP that should have gotten this type of email?

I wonder if anyone actually double checks what they are writing and sending. Probably just a low level marketing person and is having some fun with us.

Wouldn't you think they have a database by VIN of those with EAP that should have gotten this type of email?

Yeah, I got this email recently and had exactly all the same thoughts above. It doesn't appear to have been proof-read in the slightest. I sometimes feel like Tesla should hire some of us on the side and send us sample emails to allow us to critique them prior to wider release.

I can't say I was the least bit surprised by the inaccuracies, though.

It literally described nothing that I would be getting by upgrading to FSD. Everything listed was stuff I already have (or will have, maybe, one day (Enhanced Summon is what I'm referring to here...))! Very strange, but not strange.

Here's the text from the email I just got. And I didn't buy anything extra for EAP when I purchased my Tesla 3 on April 30th:

Seems its worded for both AP and EAP, but email should have only went out those with EAP. I am still on the fence to drop $3k now and hopefully something useful will come out within my car lifespan or as some others said, invest $3K and use it down the road if needed. I am pretty happy with EAP.

but email should have only went out those with EAP.

Broadly speaking, an email describing the $3k should have gone only to those with EAP, that is correct. But the specific wording in this email appears to be more appropriate for AP-only (not EAP) owners (with the exception of the price) - it's not appropriate at all for EAP owners. So it's all messed up.

I think the conclusion I would draw is that an appropriately worded email to EAP owners wouldn't have been able to promise anything extra to EAP owners, so they simply described what we already have (or maybe will have) without any specific promises at all about the future.

Not exactly convincing me to drop another $3k.

Last edited:
Must resist... I'm only willing to pay $1k for the chip. I don't want stoplight/stop sign recognition or inner-city AP.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-06 17.15.27.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-08-06 17.15.27.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 194
Must resist... I'm only willing to pay $1k for the chip. I don't want stoplight/stop sign recognition or inner-city AP.

Yeah...you'd think that if they wanted to actually sell this thing to people, they could have at least mentioned that it would provide you with upgraded hardware. But they didn't even promise that! (I'm not saying you wouldn't get HW3 - presumably you would...eventually...but they don't even mention it!) Odd, not odd.

they could have at least mentioned that it would provide you with upgraded hardware. But they didn't even promise that! (I'm not saying you wouldn't get HW3 - presumably you would...eventually...but they don't even mention it!) Odd, not odd.

Until they are willing to put the HW3 upgrade in writing (tweets don’t count), no cash from me for FSD.