Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said the price will go up from $6k to $7k on 8/16, and that EAP owners get $3,000 off the upgrade price. So after the 16th it will presumably cost $4k to upgrade from EAP.

Yeah, I understand that is what he said - $3k less. it just makes no sense. Because sure AP -> FSD goes up in value (the price increase has been tied to Enhanced Summon FWIW, after all), but the upgrade EAP -> FSD has not changed at all in value!

Yep got the same email and got the same questions marks, who the hell wrote that?

Regardless, just for the upgrade to HW 3.0 would $3k be worthy it? I can see that it might improve other things that we already have on EAP not?

Enhanced summon videos hasn’t been very motivating as well.

On my case, still paying $80k (with taxes) on a 220 miles car hasn’t been a great experience as well.

Reactions: 16Coma and mpt
Yep got the same email and got the same questions marks, who the hell wrote that?

Regardless, just for the upgrade to HW 3.0 would $3k be worthy it? I can see that it might improve other things that we already have on EAP not?

On my case, still paying $80k (with taxes) on a 220 miles car hasn’t been a great experience as well.

Per Elon's latest tweet on Advanced Summon, "It finally almost doesn't suck".
Reference: Twitter

That said it's a lot better than it started out. Personally the biggest reason to get the HW 3.0 hardware is so that you'll continue to get AP or EAP updates after development diverges and focuses on the new hardware. Current 2.5 hardware is at about 90% of it capable capacity. So not much new can be added to it. HW 3.0 will begin it's life at about 20% utilization and also provide redundancy for safety that the current Nvidia board does not offer.

Not sure why your experience has been bad. I got out the door out the door with a 240 Mile range Tesla Base Plus with FSD for 46K then got $10,800.00 back between the state, feds and PG&E. ($7500, $2500 and $800) So that's $35,200.00 after rebates. Also got stickers to run in high occupancy and toll lanes for free which saves me a ton every month. The car has been flawless since day one. Have almost 10K miles on it so far. Best purchase decision hands down that I've ever made. But that's just my opinion.

It's really bizarre that there's so much bitterness on this
forum. With the "FSD" additional $3k, I'm at $55k, that's
with 265 Mile Range, "premium interior", satellite maps,
streaming, browser, etc - arguably not $9k more value
over @ibGeek's, and it's still the best car and the best
decision hands down. The fact that I can drive places
I was too nervous to drive before, the lessened fatigue
on long drives, and the sheer enjoyment. These things
have value. I trust Musk to makes a good faith effort to
deliver whatever can be done, not on accountant time,
and with changes. I don't give a rat's butt about alleged
departures from what people thought was promised
and when. A whiner "class action suit" is ridiculous, just
part of the Get Musk sickness that this country engages
in, rather than reward innovation and good old fashioned
entrepreneurship. But that's just my opinion. Go figure.

I just want to know if I have HW3. Car built in April. No exact date. If they want to use HW3 upgrade as incentive to pay 3k then offer an easy way to find out what HW version is in your car.

It's really bizarre that there's so much bitterness on this
forum. With the "FSD" additional $3k, I'm at $55k, that's
with 265 Mile Range, "premium interior", satellite maps,
streaming, browser, etc - arguably not $9k more value
over @ibGeek's, and it's still the best car and the best
decision hands down. The fact that I can drive places
I was too nervous to drive before, the lessened fatigue
on long drives, and the sheer enjoyment. These things
have value. I trust Musk to makes a good faith effort to
deliver whatever can be done, not on accountant time,
and with changes. I don't give a rat's butt about alleged
departures from what people thought was promised
and when. A whiner "class action suit" is ridiculous, just
part of the Get Musk sickness that this country engages
in, rather than reward innovation and good old fashioned
entrepreneurship. But that's just my opinion. Go figure.

I agree! I think mine was $57k after the tax credit. I have a P3D+ with EAP. It was a great deal compared to the BMW M3! The pricing on the car is great.

My only question is if the FSD is worth $3k or if it will drop back down to $2k again in the future... Especially if nothing is delivered for FSD in the next year and I end up selling the car to upgrade...

Isn't that just NOA? I thought that FSD is not approved for use anywhere yet.

NOA in cities is part of Tesla FSD, That shows them making turns across traffic that doesn't stop, stopping at red lights, stopping at stop signs, etc, that is all part of Tesla FSD.

Self Driving is approved and being used all in many places by multiple companies. Just not for the masses.

Reactions: ibGeek
@Skunis, if you got the car in April, you don't have EAP.
That was only available in late 2018 for $5k over base.
But base then didn't include AP.
You don't have EAP, e.g. NOA, do you?
Then this $3k upgrade doesn't apply to you.

Of those of us who have EAP, I don't think ANYONE
has HW3 unless they upgraded to "FSD". So it's simple.

As to determining if YOU have HW3, there's undoubtedly
a way, but since I KNOW I don't have it ...

@n2mb_racing I think that 2K special was a one shot
deal, it's very very unlikely it will come back. Even this
3K EAP -> FSD may never be available later. I'd take it
unless you're pretty sure to sell the car before mid 2020. I
expect some HW3-only features to be common by then,
maybe sooner. Until end 2019, if you have EAP, you're
probably going to be reasonably current.

Last edited:
Got the email but feel so conflicted. I always planned to get the FSD upgrade later on but this "deal" is really just putting the price back to where it was when I bought. Plus 8/16 is when I get my bonus and aside from the new computer nothing exists yet today. It's really what value do you place on the computer? Everything with Tesla just seems like an optimistic bet on the future and hope that things work out. They'll eventually deliver but you have no idea when and in the meantime, you can feel like a chump whenever they change prices.

Reactions: Dan_LA

I bought the car SR+ trim in April 2019 and paid $3k extra for what was described to me as Enhanced Autopilot at the time. My sheet says AP but I have received the FSD email yesterday claiming that I am the owner with EAP.

And yes I have TACC, NOAP, and Summon. :)

Good analysis!

Now the question is when do we think the new Roadster will arrive, especially for those that don't put up a deposit in advance. I'm not willing to put up a $50k or $250k deposit... So I'm waiting to order until the car is actually shipping. My guess is late 2020, probably 2021. That's when I'll sell the Model 3. Or maybe if they announce a dramatic improvement to the Model S that makes it beat our Model 3s, I'll go back to the S. I previously had a P90D, but the P3D is better at most things. Except trunk space and power trunk lid!

Reactions: MaryAnning3
There is no way that people are going to win that lawsuit if they pursue it. A company has the right to change their pricing any time they want as often as they want. The whole thing is laughable.

Nah, lawsuit wouldn’t be about the price at all, it would be for not delivering anything on a $3k purchase since as far back as October 2016. The enhanced AP folks from October already got a settlement for not delivering on that by the stated December 2016 timeline, so I think an FSD lawsuit would have pretty good chances.

What other company takes your money for something tells you “6 months definitely” on the release timeline (including an awesome 2016 video of the package), doesn’t release anything for over 2.5 years, and also won’t give you a refund if you are tired of waiting?

The email was clearly ill conceived and not segmented on VIN and existing spec. When I click through the link this morning, it lands on the account page which I take to mean "We're rethinking it."

I'm very tempted, especially if it covers the cost of v3 hardware, I just want it to be able to operate on cruise control reliably enough to be able to use it day-to-day -- the phantom breaking and violent acceleration render it near useless to me. I know it's good 95% of the time but that 5% seems to crop up every journey at least once and that's enough to jolt everyone around and get everyone in a bad mood... and that's always my fault for putting it on.

Dear Tesla,

Please send over a bulleted list of what I'll receive for the $3k. I'm probably in but, let's be open about it and don't leave me guessing.

Regards,
Pretty much everyone here.

Reactions: 16Coma
Both I (and my father) both got Tesla Model 3's and were told point blank by our sales person that EAP was the new terminology for Self Driving, and if we paid $5,000 for EAP, it would be upgraded for free to Self Driving... I am returning my Model 3 tomorrow, along with all of the accessories. This is the most egregious form of bait-and-switch I have ever experienced in my life. I don't know WHO told the sales person to "SAY ANYTHING IT TAKES TO MAKE THE SALE" but when it comes to paying $60,000 cash for a vehicle, I refuse to be lied to.
The salesman was confused. Instead of assuming that everyone at Tesla is trying to defraud you, I recommend that you talk to the manager at your local Tesla showroom/service center and see what they will do for you.

Or you can stay mad, return your car, and miss out on the best driving experience ever.