Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that purchased the $3000 upgrade to FSD, how long did it take for the OTA update? Clock is going on 72 hrs+ after e-signing/payment.

It sounds like you already have EAP so there is nothing new you will currently get after you upgrade to FSD. Tesla activated the EAP features within minutes when I upgraded from basic AP.

For those that purchased the $3000 upgrade to FSD, how long did it take for the OTA update? Clock is going on 72 hrs+ after e-signing/payment.

Yeah, there is nothing additional you are going to get right now. I have no idea why they send people who buy the “upgrade” an email suggesting that there is an OTA update. I suppose they do send an OTA update to “unlock” the capability...but currently there is no additional capability.

You are buying possible future features, and the possibility of HW3 install at some point in the future, when it becomes necessary for those features.

EDIT:

I was looking at your post history and it looks like you upgraded to AP (not EAP) for $2k after car purchase? If Tesla let you upgrade to FSD for just $3k that is a great deal - and of course you will get NoA and Autopark whenever you get the update.

$5k for FSD + AP. Not too bad. Though technically you have all the same things I have currently (EAP only) for the same price.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is nothing additional you are going to get right now. I have no idea why they send people who buy the “upgrade” an email suggesting that there is an OTA update. I suppose they do send an OTA update to “unlock” the capability...but currently there is no additional capability.

You are buying possible future features, and the possibility of HW3 install at some point in the future, when it becomes necessary for those features.

EDIT:

I was looking at your post history and it looks like you upgraded to AP (not EAP) for $2k after car purchase? If Tesla let you upgrade to FSD for just $3k that is a great deal - and of course you will get NoA and Autopark whenever you get the update.

$5k for FSD + AP. Not too bad. Though technically you have all the same things I have currently (EAP only) for the same price.

Spot on @AlanSubie4Life - right now I don't have Summon, NoA, and Autopark, so waiting on the Software Update, patiently...

So, are we into post climactic slump here?

IT must have seen me, 'cause I was sitting
at my desk and checked on my Nicki, and lo,
Update 2019.28.3.1 was on tap, which, and
this is cool, I tapped OK from the phone app.

Got to go out to see if Nicki's still THERE !
You know, with this newfangled unobtanium,
Nicki might be out on the boulevard, peddlin'
its robotaxi butt to everyone, to save up for
that door weather stripping, and a bike rack,
and an all-weather Tesla-branded car cover.

Spot on @AlanSubie4Life - right now I don't have Summon, NoA, and Autopark, so waiting on the Software Update, patiently...

So to confirm: you bought $2k AP. Then you bought the $3k EAP -> FSD Upgrade (which you were not eligible for)?

That is quite a deal (I guess that is arguable depending on your assessment of the quality of NoA)! All sales are final as Tesla says! Nice job!

Sometimes it is good to have incompetence on Tesla’s part! Saving $3k is pretty good!

Maybe EAP owners can use this event to argue that EAP -> FSD Upgrade should be free.

So to confirm: you bought $2k AP. Then you bought the $3k EAP -> FSD Upgrade (which you were not eligible for)?

That is quite a deal (I guess that is arguable depending on your assessment of the quality of NoA)! All sales are final as Tesla says! Nice job!

Sometimes it is good to have incompetence on Tesla’s part! Saving $3k is pretty good!

Maybe EAP owners can use this event to argue that EAP -> FSD Upgrade should be free.

Meanwhile i paid $8K about a year ago when buying the car specifically because it was going to cost $10K if i waited "supposedly". Not terribly upset about the money, but when Elon said they'd give us OG FSD buyers entry to Early Access I got kinda excited. Still waiting for that email...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Meanwhile i paid $8K about a year ago when buying the car specifically because it was going to cost $10K if i waited "supposedly". Not terribly upset about the money, but when Elon said they'd give us OG FSD buyers entry to Early Access I got kinda excited. Still waiting for that email...
Stop waiting, even when Elon says he'll fix that oversight on Twitter it still doesn't happen.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Stop waiting, even when Elon says he'll fix that oversight on Twitter it still doesn't happen.

You're stuck in that vein ?

By and large it does. He DID build a car company when "everyone" said it was impossible. There IS a $35k base M3, he DID lower the FSD price for us EAP customers, the car DOES drive and handle fantastically, the various AP modes ARE useful under supervised operation, and service centers DO replace parts as needed under warranty, they even come out to your place to do it. I don't see what's so disappointing if you stand back and see the forest for a moment. I'm not out to diss you, I wish you better thoughts.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian's ReX
I just believe the FSD should be cheaper for early adopters, not a cash grab to help fund the research.

We are, after all, helping them train the neural network by driving using NoA. So, why not make it cheaper, so more people have it, so it helps improve the system quicker...then raise the price when the features are near complete? Not raise the price on a system that is not yet proven....

I just believe the FSD should be cheaper for early adopters, not a cash grab to help fund the research.
We are, after all, helping them train the neural network by driving using NoA. So, why not make it cheaper, so more people have it, so it helps improve the system quicker...then raise the price when the features are near complete? Not raise the price on a system that is not yet proven....

Since I'm here anyway, allow me ... I think the system IS proven. Yes, it's within certain limits, kind of like you don't overload your washer. And the limitations gradually decrease. There's a variable distance between 100% automation and what we have today. There IS no robotaxi capable vehicle on the market as yet, but it's more important to set goals than piddling on about what we can't do yet.

There IS no final FSD. Never will be. It's a process. It's like any software. Microsoft Office is not frozen at version X. It will NEVER be a final SKU, the whole automobile industry will continue to evolve over decades. Tesla happens to have made some smart choices. Rare boundary conditions of AP might not be solved until, say maybe 2040. In the meantime in the ICE world, tires fail, brakes occasionally lock up, but we use these cars and don't spend our time naysaying.

Musk is all about reaching. He isn't the most lawyerly communicator, and that's contributed to some grumbling. But I see where he wants to go, and I want to go there too. Their pricing etc you don't have to accept. I'm not unconditionally happy either. They evidently postponed the "early access" plan. But they are being more up front than say Apple or Google. If you don't want to buy in now, that's OK. But show me any other car you can buy that does what a M3 does today.

Last edited:

We are never getting it. It’s time to move on and learn from it.

What I learned: if it’s not available now (in a general sense), Tesla isn’t getting my money until it is.

Reactions: Octo
Musk is all about reaching, he isn't the most lawyerly communicator, and that's contributed to some grumbling.
That’s a nice way to describe an unreasonable money grab.

Your point about FSD and Tesla’s achievements are not incorrect. The beef is squarely with Tesla selling something today with extremely poor follow through.

Or do you already have Enhanced Summon that REALLY picks you up? And no, it’s neither entitled (in the cliche sense- literally, people who bought FSD are entitled to FSD) nor impatient to wanting something years after the money changed hands.

If Tesla and Musk would just present cutting edge R&D *WITHOUT* selling it for hard money before it is even remotely production ready, this would not be a problem. Tesla cars are awesome even without this bizarre snake oil FOMO marketing obsession. So strange.

Still $3k on my account, I have EAP though.

My experience is that Tesla is slow to institute (what I assume they feel are) unimportant changes. Like when they discontinued referral rewards earlier this year (Feb 15, if memory serves?)... I had a referral reward, but was out of town and forgot to order my signature HPWC before the cutoff. I panicked when I remembered I had missed it by about 10 days!!

However, I took a chance, looked at my "Loot Box", and viola - it was still available! :cool: It took 5 months to get it... but it finally came!

It will be interesting to see if/when the price increases. If it doesn't... I'll feel duped :mad: