Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Price reduced from $5K to $3K in MyTesla Page for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I am helping them with development, I should not be paying thousands of dollars for it.

I totally respect your opinion, but developing this stuff is costly, it's a huge investment. Somebody has to fund this, otherwise you can forget it all.
So far, EAP delivered the promises, more or less. I'm confident that FSD features will start to be delivered very soon.

Given all that has happened (or not happened...) in the last 2.5 years, I'm surprised there are still people wanting to pay for FSD...

People who thought they were going to deliver this in 2017 (or 2018) got burned. People who thought it is better to buy upfront since it'll cost more to buy as an add-on got burned.

Don't buy unless they have something (anything at all?) to show for it. And I don't mean the "progress" made by moving EAP features to FSD.
If you really believe in Tesla's ability to deliver this product, then you'll be far better buying TSLA stock instead.

Fully agree. I had neither but just purchased AP for 2.6k (Canadian) or 1.9k usd. FSD to me is not worth the extra for Navi on AP, summon and parallel. Once traffic light recognition finally arrives (pipe dream since 2015 by Elon) I’ll consider it. It’s still half off on my account as of today. No rush.

‘Fool me once’...

Reactions: am_dmd
I just bought AP+FSD for 5k. I have a 2017 MS HW2.5. Like most folks, not sure FSD is worth it at the moment, but if pricing goes up again I’d kick myself. Also, I wanted some of the original EAP features. Lastly, watching EAP go from 5k to 6k to 7k in my account and EAP+FSD at 11k made it psychologically much easier :)

Lucky you. But this is unfair to all those who bought EAP and FSD before all this mess started. Tesla should offer everyone the same price for the same package. Pay the difference or refund the over payment.

Lucky you. But this is unfair to all those who bought EAP and FSD before all this mess started. Tesla should offer everyone the same price for the same package. Pay the difference or refund the over payment.

This is what they should do but there's nothing to force them to do this, and the reality of the business seems to be -- based on external observation of their recent actions -- that Tesla is currently in a cash crunch and is struggling for survival, still trying to transition the Model 3 to profitable high-volume production and sales, while having precious little capital to invest in expansion. This is a really tough position to be in. So any remunerations would have to come much later, after they are profitable and have comfortable cash reserves.

Of course, by that time, the currently open wounds for early adopters will have closed up and formed scars, and there will be little incentive for Tesla to ever do what's right. They certainly never made any remunerations for their unkept AP1 promises...

I certainly hope someone with a financial/legal/knowhow/means can follow and check to see if Tesla is taking money as "earned" from the FSD pile since they have obviously dumbed down and reworded FSD. Based on what I paid for in February 2017 FSD funds should still be in a pile of unearned $$. I really hope Tesla isn't doing what they APPEAR to be doing and that I am totally wrong in this.

I really want Tesla to succeed and prosper for all of us but after being burned with AP1 and now the way AP2.0 is headed...I will have to do more than sit on the side lines this time around.

Tesla PLEASE communicate with your most valued and long term and early adopter customers as to where we are at and what the plan is!!!!!

I still can't believe that people are still paying for this FSD upgrade which was supposed to be released in December 2016. Hates off to Tesla's marketing geniuses.
I admit to this is confusing, and kind of nutty. If you were like me, and purchased nothing originally, then paying 5K for everything is just like buying EAP as an original purchase. If more features are added at some point, that is just a bonus. And, if all the stuff is free next week, I’m willing to except that risk too.

I don’t disagree with you, I would feel the same way. But, I also didn’t see the value in the original purchase. Like I just said, if this is all free next week, then I have to live with that.

On another note, I really don’t think the intention here was to try and trick and fool people. I think they are doing everything they can to make FSD happen. When I think of the leaps and bounds they have done in performance, Tesla has excelled in almost every way possible.

It will be a lot easier to sell a 2k upgrade to the wife. I hadn't even brought it up with her when the price was 4k (and then 5k) because it's very likely she would have told me to just drive the damn car.
I do feel bad for those that paid for it though...and all the flip flops is hard to keep track of. I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes back up when they are ready to actually release something useful.

There is it:
Tesla is bringing Autopilot prices ‘back to normal’, Elon Musk admits mistake

I guess I have until this weekend to buy it at the $2k price then. I don't see anywhere what the new "back to normal" price will be on 3/18..

Sorry, but that seems to be a very unrealistic expectation. Companies/stores have sales all the time. They also mark down prices (either permanently or temporarily) all the time. Look at airline tickets. You can buy the same tickets on the same day and pay different prices because they literally change their pricing all the time. Prices might go up, they might go down but you aren't given a refund if they drop. Same goes for cars. People can go to the same dealership at the same time and walk out paying different prices for the same car. Then the next week the prices drop because it is an end of month sales push, with prices rising again on the first of the month. People pay different prices for the same thing all the time. Try buying a car in a major city and buying one out in the sticks. Guess what, the person buying from a dealership in the city will pay more. Same goes for clothing and groceries. Tesla is actually one of the few companies I know where everyone pays the exact same price if they purchase at the same time, regardless of location. The fact that they choose to change prices later (either up or down) is neither unusual nor unethical and they certainly don't owe you, me, or anyone else.

I ordered my 90D in December 2016 because free lifetime supercharging was going away. Three weeks later the 100D was announced. I was given the option of cancelling my order and shifting it to a 100D, but would lose lifetime supercharging. I chose to stay with the 90D...only to have people who bought the 100Ds also get lifetime supercharging about a week later. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did that mean I felt Tesla screwed me over or owed me anything? Nope...that's the breaks when you order a Tesla.

Is the recent drop in prices for cars and features (EAP/FSD) a move to drive sales? Absolutely. Guess what, most companies do this as well. Now has Tesla done these things in a way that created uncertainty among current and future customers? Absolutely and that is not necessarily a wise thing to do, but they certainly don't owe us anything....

I get that people who paid a higher price aren't happy about it, but that's life and expecting a refund because Tesla lowered the price sometime after you purchased strikes me as incredible...

Reactions: Alset4S and ahkahn
  • Informative
Reactions: Langhorne
I wish they would confirm that the FSD upgrade cost includes the HW3 upgrade as well. Isn’t HW3 required to get full capability? $2k seems like a reasonable price to get the feature. Even if it takes another year!

They did. Over and over. It includes the new hardware. That’s the only way the “feature” is actually worth anything.

As for giving Tesla another $2k on a vaporware promise... fool me once...

Reactions: ironwaffle