Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) When the "FSD degraded" message comes on, it has to come with an annoying "boop boop boop". Sometimes all it takes is for there to be a few clouds for it to say it's degraded. As soon as the message goes away, it comes back with another "boop boop boop". Sometimes it's beeping every 10 seconds. Farking annoying so I have to disengage.
I had the pleasure of driving a Kia Pallisade and the alerts on that car gave everyone on board heart attacks. Everyone then also unanimously commented that the Tesla Alerts are so considerate.

Wow v12 is awful for me here in the SF Bay area. v11 was much much better.

- kept driving over the ribbed part, over the lane markers, and over the botts dots on Hwy 17.
- blew right past the 17/85 interchange
- auto speed limit was set to 65 in the 50 zone where cops always camp on 17
- missed the exit from 85 to El Camino in Mountain View
- at intersections applies way too much throttle mid right turn for seemingly no reason
- was going through a roundabout and got the red both hands on wheel message out of nowhere
- got a Toollbooth detected message on 17 before a pedo overpass

I wouldn't pay even $49.99 for this.
v12 is not designed for highways and performs poorly on them. It's supposed to automatically switch to v11 for highways, but some highways are incorrectly detected as surface streets, so the switchover doesn't occur. The most obvious way to tell which version is running is to have the Auto Max Speed setting on. If the Auto Max icon stays on while you are on the highway, then it did not switch to v11 because Auto Max only exists on v12.

The most obvious way to tell which version is running is to have the Auto Max Speed setting on. If the Auto Max icon stays on while you are on the highway, then it did not switch to v11 because Auto Max only exists on v12
The auto speed behavior will also be very different if you're in manual model (not using Auto Max). (Meaning very different behavior when using v12 stack on freeway vs. v11 stack as intended.) So Auto Max and Manual behavior will be the same in this regard. So pretty easy to tell in manual mode as well, because it's the same as Auto Max (except for the Auto Max display and the cap speed). But yes the Auto Max display is an instant tell which does not exist in that area in Manual Mode.

You can look at the tentacle length, it's pretty easy to tell from that regardless of mode. Also an instant tell.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tmoz and cyborgLIS

- kept driving over the ribbed part, over the lane markers, and over the botts dots on Hwy 17.
- blew right past the 17/85 interchange
- auto speed limit was set to 65 in the 50 zone where cops always camp on 17
- missed the exit from 85 to El Camino in Mountain View
- at intersections applies way too much throttle mid right turn for seemingly no reason
- was going through a roundabout and got the red both hands on wheel message out of nowhere
- got a Toollbooth detected message on 17 before a pedo overpass

As pointed out highway is still V11 so there should be very little difference on highways compared to past builds for you.
Was there anything in V12 that was better than V11 on city/streets or are you just highlighting the negative?

As pointed out highway is still V11 so there should be very little difference on highways compared to past builds for you.
Was there anything in V12 that was better than V11 on city/streets or are you just highlighting the negative?
According to Teslascope they're still shipping V11 highway code improvements in V12 builds, so it could drive differently now

• Informative
Reactions: cyborgLIS

This is something I commented on when V12 first came out.. the rumble bumps, those little round disks on the right or left side of a lane, or the groove carve outs in the asphalt that are meant to make a vibration and noise to indicate to the driver that they are OUT of a lane.. sometimes these things are meant for when the markings may be covered by like snow, or sheen, and sometimes they are meant to just ALERT the driver that they are drifting outside of the drivable lane… I do not think that FSD has ANY way of understanding or interpreting these - and that’s based on the fact that they car will drive over them and just on them in a bike lane or other marking and not seem to make ANY effort to move back into the lane to avoid the sound/noise/disturbance..

I don’t know that VISION alone has some way of interpreting this, or if the internal MIC might, or maybe just wheel/vibration feedback. but at least for now it doesn’t appear that this sort of on the road indicator has any effect on the FSD AI.

I’ve seen this on both surface streets, and on say Hwy 17 as the original poster mentioned, so it seems it isn’t having any input for V11 or V12.

Reactions: PianoAl
The auto speed behavior will also be very different if you're in manual model (not using Auto Max). (Meaning very different behavior when using v12 stack on freeway vs. v11 stack as intended.) So Auto Max and Manual behavior will be the same in this regard. So pretty easy to tell in manual mode as well, because it's the same as Auto Max (except for the Auto Max display and the cap speed). But yes the Auto Max display is an instant tell which does not exist in that area in Manual Mode.

You can look at the tentacle length, it's pretty easy to tell from that regardless of mode. Also an instant tell.
Other indicators would be the presence of status messages like "changing lanes to follow route" (does not exist in v12) and while changing lanes the target lane will be highlighted in light blue if and only if on v11.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
View attachment 1038314
This is 2024.3.15

Can someone currently on 2024.3.10 check how big their AP model is? I didn’t notice any changes to driving behavior.

Software -> Service -> Infotainment -> Software -> Autopilot Data Bank

I remember bank B was like 1.73gb a while back.

Go to vehicle settings list and hit software. Press and hold the model name for 3 consecutive seconds and let go. Enter the word “Service” then follow the above path.

I want to forfeit 23.3.15 if I'm in queue to get in lieu of 24.8.x/12.3.x next week. ;)
JulienW:
I'm dying of thirst! Everyone else has plenty of water but my cup runneth dry! I don't think I can last much longer, I must have water!

Elon:
Okay already, here's a nice tall glass of water...drink up and be well.

JulienW:
What... I only drink arctic glacier spring with light ice. Take it away!

It looks like you have one newer and one older car. I'm not sure but it's possible that your car, especially if it's the older one, has accumulated some off-gassing haze on the inner glass of the camera housing. Below is a post I made about this not too long ago - the effect in my car was very severe before I cleaned it.
This was with the newer car (2022 Model Y), though I've noticed the same issue on the older car (2017 Model 3) as well.

I searched through the dashcam footage from the Model Y, and indeed the glare is pretty terrible. I'll try cleaning the inner glass and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion!

It does bug me that when the warning pops up saying "Camera occluded/blocked/blinded", it doesn't specify WHICH camera! I sort of assumed it wasn't the front camera because the housing and wipers should keep them clean, but evidently not!

Last edited: