Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've long advocated cameras in the headlight assemblies, but I don't think it's only for 90° side view. Just as important is the ability to get the best angle to look at the high speed oncoming lanes, past left-turning vehicles, signs in the median or other obstructions. The forward view of oncoming traffic, from a camera placed at or near the left fender, is far superior to the forward view from the existing forward facing cameras mounted in the center of the windshield.

Considering the headlight or similar front corner location, a camera with a 110° view, angled left at 45°, would take in the side view and the front view.

Another way to do this, which Tesla seemed to be moving towards with early HW4 prototypes, is to include a forward-looking camera in the repeater as a companion to the existing rearward-looking camera. For side viewing it's not as far forward as the headlight, but it's still well forward of the driver's view. There are other possible variations, for example front and rear looking cameras at the current wing mirror location (even though the mirror itself becomes obsolete). It looks like Tesla may be experimenting with that also.
I think the original idea has been to get to a tech that gives you human level performance and can be licensed out to other companies, and so should be as independent of the geometry of the vehicle as possible. Once you start introducing cameras in the bumper, HD radar in the front, radars in the corners, USS, etc. - yes you will make this particular car better and safer and even closer to self driving, but it's probably harder to license this type of kit because it requires quite a lot of work retraining the nets and adapting them to another geometry, can it be that this is why Tesla is sticking to the Vision only approach?

I've long advocated cameras in the headlight assemblies, but I don't think it's only for 90° side view. Just as important is the ability to get the best angle to look at the high speed oncoming lanes, past left-turning vehicles, signs in the median or other obstructions. The forward view of oncoming traffic, from a camera placed at or near the left fender, is far superior to the forward view from the existing forward facing cameras mounted in the center of the windshield.

Considering the headlight or similar front corner location, a camera with a 110° view, angled left at 45°, would take in the side view and the front view.

Another way to do this, which Tesla seemed to be moving towards with early HW4 prototypes, is to include a forward-looking camera in the repeater as a companion to the existing rearward-looking camera. For side viewing it's not as far forward as the headlight, but it's still well forward of the driver's view. There are other possible variations, for example front and rear looking cameras at the current wing mirror location (even though the mirror itself becomes obsolete). It looks like Tesla may be experimenting with that also.
This thing was discussed when people had wishful thinking about cameras inside the Highland headlights.

I mentioned the same glare problem. Even if as suggested, it's in a separate partition, there may still be light bleed problems.

I think a far better location is using the existing repeater location, just add two side/front facing units to the housing.

The suggestion for using the mirrors also make sense, as that is where most parking cameras are located.

I don't think it is really urgent right now to have front corner cameras. The main issue is the front bumper camera. That would help with the parking (given removal or USS) and also would help avoid curbing (the main damage caused by FSD).

Reactions: OldManCan
  • Hand gestures by road crews - Virtually never have this. Not sure why it should be a priority
  • school zones - discussed here before. There is no consistency, even within a single town or school district, and humans are frequently unsure how fast they can drive.
  • School busses - absolutely. Shouldn't be too tough.
  • Emergency vehicles - FSD used to 'recognize' emergency lights but it was virtually always wrong. Haven't seen it recently, though.
  • Peed control - this should be the first 5 items on the list.

Hand gestures- I have this pretty much every day. Sometimes multiple times with police and road crews directing traffic for road work. Portable Go/Stop signs are never used. Probably the highest percentage of my disengagements. Just came back from the grocery store where they are repaving the road. 2 disengagements. Going and returning home. Of course if your direction is waved on no disengagement is usually necessary.
Emergency Vehicles used to be "recognized" on the highway but didn't work and was useless anyway. I'm talking about on regular roads. When police/fire/ambulances have their flashing lights on it's law in this state to pull over regardless of the direction they are going.
Speed control- Non issue for me but knowing it was important for others I knew it should be on the list. My list wasn't prioritized.
School Zones- I believe the legal speed limit is 20mph in Mass but don't know for sure. FSD is slowing down for the flashing signs but often speeds up before passing the school zone. Light has to be blinking.

IMG_0982.jpeg

2024.3.25 peeps we have been chosen, we are the new testers

Reactions: lzolman and edseloh
This might be one of those FSD non-accidents. It's a shame as the driver had time to disengage 12.3.6 prior.

I know it's easy to play armchair quarterback and say there was plenty of time to take over but this one really does seem like there was plenty of time to react. The person on Twitter says they were starting to take over but too late, he does admit that it's all his fault but posting it to warn others.

This past weekend I was in San Francisco for the holiday weekend and found FSD to be quite useful.

• Knowing which lanes to be in for upcoming road splits and turns
  • Generally having it navigate in an unfamiliar and busy area without me stressing out
  • Most of the speed limits are 25, sometimes 30 so the super slowness of FSD isn't generally an issue in the downtown area where traffic is flowing slowly anyway

However, as soon as I came back into surburbia, the slowness becomes an issue like it always has been on v12. Seems like I would find more value in FSD if I lived in a dense city.

I know it's easy to play armchair quarterback and say there was plenty of time to take over but this one really does seem like there was plenty of time to react. The person on Twitter says they were starting to take over but too late, he does admit that it's all his fault but posting it to warn others.
I'd be curious if the driver had his foot on the accelerator as well to speed the car up........if the car has a route planned at a certain speed, it could be that if the accelerator was also pressed somewhat, it could throw the planning askew

Tesla might need to open an office in Chuck's neighborhood given the time and effort they are putting into it. If these TSLA team visits were software release validations we'd be on v13 by now. :)

View attachment 1051368
Always been curious. How does he Know these are actual testers vs him just stalking every Tesla driver in the neighborhood?

He claims FSD was already taking the turn too fast.

I had this issue in tight winding countryside road where the speed limit was 55 and car was not slowing down for the upcoming tight turns. Seems like the car ignores the yellow warning signs or suggested speed to take the curve with. Map data should be used to manage this I suppose but it may be yet to come. Drivers be careful in tight curves.

Reactions: cyborgLIS
Just saw you’re in Boston. IIRC they have some messed up law there that mandates police at all road construction sites or something like that. Virtually never have that here. Either way I think they need to worry about L3 before worrying about L4 or 5 and I’d put it pretty low on the list for L3

Reactions: FSDtester#1