Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - will it ever be available for my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my 2017 model S 75D September 2017 and purchased FSD at that time. I wish I can remember the Tesla salesperson’s comments about when FSD would be available, but I certainly wasn’t thinking it would be 2 or 3 years down the road. If I were to sell the car back to Tesla, possibly in trade for a new vehicle, I wonder if Tesla would consider crediting my purchase with what I originally paid for FSD, or simply transferring FSD to the new purchase?

I keep thinking there could be a real possibility that this car will never see FSD.

lol - it does NOT always stay with car! transfer ownership and tesla MAY strip fsd from that new owner.

there IS NO DEFINITION of what fsd is, in terms of ownership, license, rental, or what. tesla plays it all angles, whatever suits them that current day.

just today there's a very long thread about fsd that was ON THE CAR when a guy bought it, then stripped weeks later by tesla, after the car changed hands.

don't tell me that it stays with the car. there are examples in the wild exactly contradicting that!

In theory your trade in value should be higher with FSD purchased but I haven't done the research to validate that.

Tesla is stripping FSD from their CPOs because it creates huge liabilities for them. They will need to do very expensive upgrades to the computers and sensors to support FSD.

Bottom line is that it will be MANY years before Teslas (or any cars) are L4 autonomous. No one should prepay for FSD.

Tesla is stripping FSD from their CPOs because it creates huge liabilities for them. They will need to do very expensive upgrades to the computers and sensors to support FSD.

uhm, bollocks.

they're stripping it from cars that had functioning features (eap, that is) and that was simply a CASH GRAB, nothing more.

nothing to do with liab. if the $7k option was bought by one owner, tesla is hoping to get the new owner to re-buy it.

I personally consider this borderline criminal behavior.

Good point. I guess it depends on the difference in trade in value for a car with FSD per-purchased and one without. If the FSD car trade in value is higher equal to the value of FSD then it's a wash for them in present dollars. But they are required to hold FSD pre-pays on their books as a liability since they haven't delivered the product. Though I do believe Elon claims that they have delivered parts of it which would allow them to recognize some of it.

Welcome to a market with only 1 player. It won't improve until there is more competition.

uhm, bollocks.

they're stripping it from cars that had functioning features (eap, that is) and that was simply a CASH GRAB, nothing more.

nothing to do with liab. if the $7k option was bought by one owner, tesla is hoping to get the new owner to re-buy it.

I personally consider this borderline criminal behavior.
In theory your trade in value should be higher with FSD purchased but I haven't done the research to validate that.

Bottom line is that it will be MANY years before Teslas (or any cars) are L4 autonomous. No one should prepay for FSD.

I'm not sure that these two points of view are mutually exclusive.

It does seem quite possible that Tesla would like to avoid delivering on fsd upgrades that are now proving less straightforward than anticipated.

Buying cars back while fsd really has little proven value is good for Tesla. Since they are setting the trade in value (in fact they are holding the value down by not delivering fsd) then who can say what the value of fsd is? Right now its only clear value is to Tesla by getting them out of the obligation to upgrade that car.

Then to the other post. Yes, it's a money grab. Get people to buy something with no clear definition of what they bought or when it might be delivered, then when they sell the car having never seen the benefit, strip the benefit off the car. Yes, money grab.

The Tesla hate fud is heavy in this thread.

My understanding is that if Tesla sold FSD with the car and you sell the car to anyone other then Tesla then the FSD transfers.

If you trade this car to Tesla then Tesla as its owner is free to do what ever they want including striping FSD off of it.

I am really disappointed that a user who seems bent on spreading anti Tesla FUD would soil the Linux brand in the process.

My understanding is that if Tesla sold FSD with the car and you sell the car to anyone other then Tesla then the FSD transfers.

If you trade this car to Tesla then Tesla as its owner is free to do what ever they want including striping FSD off of it.

I am really disappointed that a user who seems bent on spreading anti Tesla FUD would soil the Linux brand in the process.

The Linux dude was in another thread not too long ago talking about how Tesla would be insane to allow the car to be controlled or connected to over a home WiFi connection and all-around tipped their hand that they don’t really know what they’re talking about.

The thread
Tesla YANKED FSDC option without notice
as it presently stands does not appear to show any wrongdoing by Tesla imo, although I have sympathy for the OP to some extent as I know how hard it can be to buy a Tesla. But it made me question my own understanding of what rights Tesla retains over my car irrespective of where I bought it, and in the case of FSD, are there any jurisdiction specific licences or terms of use that are likely to be legally enforceable?

I think negativity towards fsd is unavoidable and probably justified for some purchasers who paid top dollar based on the marketing at that time. As time drags on, those who paid most for their cars and eap / FSD are surely to be excused for getting restless if they appear to be getting overlooked and ignored.

Personally, I researched as well as I could, remaining totally synical throughout and am really comfortable with what I ended up with including FSD - just to be a small part in the evolution of vehicle automation.

Finally, for me so far Tesla has over-delivered on most aspects (compared with my expectations) and is probably on track of a little below on fsd. Biggest single negative is speed adjustment around on and off ramps on UK / French freeways where behavior is too unpredictable.