Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuel Cost saving is actually 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd ask if you've added in delivery, regulatory, and tax to your off-peak rate. If not you'd need to add those costs to the electricity which would about double the effective rate for electricity I suspect, or subtract the same fees from the gas which would significantly lower its cost.

I imagine it would still be between 20% and 25% the cost per km for electricity over gas.

I have an Smart electric drive and a Fiat 500 so I can compare two efficient cars. The EV costs 24% of the gas car, and that's including all delivery, regulatory and tax fees.

• Informative
Reactions: ACPark
I don't save because I drive now more than twice as much and I spend money on these leasurly drives to anywhere/nowhere and drinking coffee or eating something, while I would otherwise stay at home.
General Aviation pilots refer to this phenomenon (joyriding) as the Hundred Dollar Hamburger...flying to another airport just to have lunch and return.

Electricity is so expensive here I will probably be paying more for electric than gas. At least until next year when gas goes up about a buck, so nearly $5 a gallon, then 40 cents per kwh will be slightly cheaper :)

The Volt I have now is much more practical as charging will keep me in the lower 24cents / kwh tier, and premium gas at around $3.65-3.85 a gallon is a bit cheaper than being in the 40+ cents per kwh tier.

Last edited:
you guys and your cheap electricity. Here in CA, we get $0.23 for electricity. Still cheaper than petrol, but no where near the 90%.
Let's not assume San Diego energy pricing insanity is found everywhere in California (YET). What they've done in SD is criminal IMO and I sure hope we don't see that in the Los Angeles area (EDIT: look below, it's probably already coming)! I'm West of Los Angeles and still pay $0.13 from 10pm until 8am. I think SCE pays me $0.48 during peak of my solar production. I'm sure this isn't going to last long. As a matter of fact, I just pulled up the latest version of my TOU-D schedule and see that some of the plans are moving the "Super Off-peak" from 8am to 4pm. They don't even offer it in the summer at all, but in the Winter, it would be really hard to go to work with your car and still find a way to charge during Super off-peak from 8am to 4pm, huh? Clever. These power companies really mean war. They are just going to drive people COMPLETELY off the F*ing grid! Tesla will make a killing with power walls at this rate.

"Option 4-9 PM:"

On-Peak: 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. summer weekdays except holidays (listed below).
Mid-Peak: 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. winter weekdays and summer and winter weekends
Super Off-Peak: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.- winter weekdays and weekends
Off-Peak: 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.- summer weekdays and weekends
9:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.- winter weekdays and weekends​

So I have done some math, and found that my gas cost went from $20 a week to under $2 electricity a week.

So before my M3 I drive a Honda HRV, doing 8.8L/100km, and for gas cost is about 1.50/L if I fuel with the "89" mid tier.
My daily round trip is 20km, but traffic is quite bad so usually I have to pay $18-20 a week in gas.

Now my M3 that I owned for 3 days now, charging at home at $0.065/kwh off-peak, each kwh provides 6-7 km, and daily consumption will be 4kwh = $0.26. I measured there is about 10% inefficiency in charging, so the cost is about $0.3 a day and still under $2 a week.

Compare ICE cost of $20 a week to $2 a week that is a 90% reduction in fuel cost. Wait what? I triple checked my maths and it looks like it is what it is. What do you guys think?

I had a Prius (gas / electric hybrid) so stop and go traffic = engine shuts off. I went to a Leaf and I pay about half the cost after the switch, call it 50%. My comparison is that 10 cents per kWh Leaf is half the cost vs $2.50 a gallon Prius. Before my EV tax on registration. If I drive 12,000 miles a year the $100 EV tax here eats into that savings and makes it over 0.8 cents a mile more expensive vs the prior comparison being ~2c vs ~4c per mile.

So I used to save about 50% per mile
Now I save about 35% per mile.

I could totally see a greater savings if you had a gas car that doesn't shut off the engine and got worse than the 55 mpg I averaged.

Even if you somehow measured something wrong and only saved 75% or 80% it is still a great deal and I have no reason to believe you didn't save 90%.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2050
Let's not assume San Diego energy pricing insanity is found everywhere in California (YET). What they've done in SD is criminal IMO and I sure hope we don't see that in the Los Angeles area (EDIT: look below, it's probably already coming)! I'm West of Los Angeles and still pay $0.13 from 10pm until 8am. I think SCE pays me $0.48 during peak of my solar production. I'm sure this isn't going to last long. As a matter of fact, I just pulled up the latest version of my TOU-D schedule and see that some of the plans are moving the "Super Off-peak" from 8am to 4pm. They don't even offer it in the summer at all, but in the Winter, it would be really hard to go to work with your car and still find a way to charge during Super off-peak from 8am to 4pm, huh? Clever. These power companies really mean war. They are just going to drive people COMPLETELY off the F*ing grid! Tesla will make a killing with power walls at this rate.

"Option 4-9 PM:"

On-Peak: 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. summer weekdays except holidays (listed below).
Mid-Peak: 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. winter weekdays and summer and winter weekends
Super Off-Peak: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.- winter weekdays and weekends
Off-Peak: 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.- summer weekdays and weekends
9:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.- winter weekdays and weekends​
I have been looking into a powerwall that way you can switch to TOU and still use the solar power you generate. Otherwise you sell to SDG&E at offpeak rate (8 cents or so), and buy it back from them at peak rates which can exceed 50 cents a kwh when you need to run your AC (when you get home from work or early evening / night). For only an additional 20k+ (according to tesla's site) I would be able to charge my EV at a lower rate... Not exactly cost effective IMO.

Right now SDG&E has us by the balls.

Wait till winter, EVs are MUCH less efficient in winter due to battery heating unless you are driving from heated garage to heated garage.

Not saying it is bad just that you don't have a full picture yet. I am not getting rid of my MS but the winter energy use was much worse than I was prepared for.

Parking at work is very windswept and seems to sap all the heat from the battery in a few hours, and my daily use varied so much ending at time to leave doesn't work well for me.

I have been looking into a powerwall that way you can switch to TOU and still use the solar power you generate. Otherwise you sell to SDG&E at offpeak rate (8 cents or so), and buy it back from them at peak rates which can exceed 50 cents a kwh when you need to run your AC (when you get home from work or early evening / night). For only an additional 20k+ (according to tesla's site) I would be able to charge my EV at a lower rate... Not exactly cost effective IMO.

Right now SDG&E has us by the balls.
What SDG&E plan has $.08 a kWh off peak? I thought ~$.20 was the cheapest off peak rate. They still offer net metering (for now) so I'm pretty sure solar is more cost effective than a powerwall. I suppose a powerwall is the most futureproof option. They're definitely going to continue trying to make solar less of a sweetheart deal.

What SDG&E plan has $.08 a kWh off peak? I thought ~$.20 was the cheapest off peak rate. They still offer net metering (for now) so I'm pretty sure solar is more cost effective than a powerwall. I suppose a powerwall is the most futureproof option. They're definitely going to continue trying to make solar less of a sweetheart deal.
Your right, I swear a month ago it was different. The whole site seems to be different now too. It's a moving target! Anyways the point is still the same, they sell you back what you produce at 2x+ the rate.