Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full matrix headlight functionality has just been approved by NHTSA!

I’m very excited to see this approved. Can’t wait for the updates.

A0591F1A-B737-4044-93E7-158700842EC7.jpeg

(“20191122-tesla-Cybertruck-driving-lightbar” by Kruzat is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Might not be the best question, but wouldn't this sort of cause the battery of the MYP equipped with the Matrix headlights to drain quicker once the software update unlocks it?.....
They are already fully on, just not matrixed currently. Plus, headlights don’t drain that much in the first place, especially LED.

So it’s clear a lot of people are excited about this. Why is this so life changing? I don’t really have trouble seeing at night. I get it that once everybody has these lights there will be less glare/blinding … but what does it do for the owner to have these lights?
Effectively you can have high beams on all the time and they will adaptively block out the portion of the beam that would impact other cars.

That said, based on how poorly Tesla's current adaptive on/off high beams work, I'm not confident in them being able to get it right.

Effectively you can have high beams on all the time and they will adaptively block out the portion of the beam that would impact other cars.

That said, based on how poorly Tesla's current adaptive on/off high beams work, I'm not confident in them being able to get it right.
while i get what you are saying, Matrix is already being used in Europe. To my knowledge (though limited) there are no complaints.

Reactions: Daekwan