Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Drive In Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It stays in its lane. The massive safety issue though is the full blown phantom emergency braking for no reason. You just have to hope no-one is behind you when it randomly happens. Tesla are aware of it and warn in the manual that it may occur. This also happens on the base tacc setting with no lane keeping.
Polestar 'autopilot' doesn't have phantom braking. Pretty sure the Polestar 3 will also be the first Australian car with LIDAR in 9 months time (or will Mercedes beat them?)

Polestar 'autopilot' doesn't have phantom braking. Pretty sure the Polestar 3 will also be the first Australian car with LIDAR in 9 months time (or will Mercedes beat them?)
I've done 25,000km in my Tesla and it's phantom braked 3 times, each when passing a truck that slightly crosses the line. From what I've read, Polestars lane keeping system is nowhere near as good as Teslas.

Reactions: STUtoday
I've done over 100,000km in Model X & 3 - phantom braking is a normal regular experience.
Perhaps the discrepancy here is the definition of "phantom braking". I have experienced what I would call "accelerator off" at multiple times in 10000km for no apparent reason (i.e. a speed drop of 5-10km/h). I have had one memorable "sudden 20km/h" drop while passing a truck in rain on the rural motorway portion of the Hume (there may have been an emergency services crossover also involved).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Perhaps the discrepancy here is the definition of "phantom braking". I have experienced what I would call "accelerator off" at multiple times in 10000km for no apparent reason (i.e. a speed drop of 5-10km/h). I have had one memorable "sudden 20km/h" drop while passing a truck in rain on the rural motorway portion of the Hume (there may have been an emergency services crossover also involved).
I've done over 60K in our E Class Benz and there hasn't ever been a 'phantom braking' event that I can recall. It often tells me off though if I start to drift out of my lane LOL.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and paulp
I've done 25,000km in my Tesla and it's phantom braked 3 times, each when passing a truck that slightly crosses the line. From what I've read, Polestars lane keeping system is nowhere near as good as Teslas.
Having driven a polestar 2 several times, its lane keeping is equal to tesla. I have not driven a polestar sufficiently to know if it slams the brakes on for no reason

• Disagree
Reactions: Burnt Toast
I’ve had 4 occasions (in 27,000 km) slam the brakes on so hard that you feel the ABS shudder to prevent sliding. Not a car, person, nike, or cat in sight.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Back to OPs question - there is a good summary of what the 3 levels of Autopilot (included), Enhanced Autopilot (paid upgrade) and FSD (paid upgrade) at Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support Australia to help you decide if the features are what you want.
I think I'd recommend waiting a month after delivery for you to be more comfortable with all the feature and options already included in your car before trialling the upgrades. I've seen a lot of people wait for a good road trip before buying and using the first 48hrs to determine if they think it's worth the money or not.

Yeah, I wasn't having a go at you, I was simply stating my view of the Polestar. In fact,as strange as it sounds, I reckon Tesla's are the nicest looking EV's on the market (within reason). By and large, IMO most EV's are quite ugly.
I disagree. I think the Polestar 2 is much better looking than a Model 3, but mechanically its far behind.

Back to OPs question - there is a good summary of what the 3 levels of Autopilot (included), Enhanced Autopilot (paid upgrade) and FSD (paid upgrade) at Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support Australia to help you decide if the features are what you want.
I think I'd recommend waiting a month after delivery for you to be more comfortable with all the feature and options already included in your car before trialing the upgrades. I've seen a lot of people wait for a good road trip before buying and using the first 48hrs to determine if they think it's worth the money or not.
Thanks very much for that. I guess my 'fundamental' question relates more to the differences between the US FSD and Aus FSD. I pretty much know the difference between the 3 levels of semi-autonomy but the US version seels do be far more advanced. I'd just like to know how well FSD works in Australia. Every test I see is in the US.

I've ordered my LR without either advanced or FSD and as you (sensibly) recommend, I'll suck it and see after delivery. I just wish someone would tell me what the AUS version of FSD is capable of.

Thanks very much for that. I guess my 'fundamental' question relates more to the differences between the US FSD and Aus FSD. I pretty much know the difference between the 3 levels of semi-autonomy but the US version seels do be far more advanced. I'd just like to know how well FSD works in Australia. Every test I see is in the US.

I've ordered my LR without either advanced or FSD and as you (sensibly) recommend, I'll suck it and see after delivery. I just wish someone would tell me what the AUS version of FSD is capable of.
The australia features of enhanced autopilot and FSD are clearly explained on the order page. There is no more than what is listed. Model 3 and Y both have the same available features.

Full Self-Driving Capability​

$10,100

1. All functionality of Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot
  2. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Upcoming:​

1. Autosteer on city streets