Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Drive In Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered our MYRWD with standard GPS stuff. I've been watching Youtube videos of FSD beta 11.2.3 (or something) but I understand it's not available in Aus. So, for the $10,000 Elon is asking for FSD in Aus, what do we get for our money? I don't want to put my 'hard earned' down and find it's not much of an improvement on the base level.

I've ordered our MYRWD with standard GPS stuff. I've been watching Youtube videos of FSD beta 11.2.3 (or something) but I understand it's not available in Aus. So, for the $10,000 Elon is asking for FSD in Aus, what do we get for our money? I don't want to put my 'hard earned' down and find it's not much of an improvement on the base level.
I think it adds traffic light recognition- but dont expect it to always work as it cannot always distinguish that you are in a right turn lane which is red whilst straight ahead is green. It also adds auto lane changing on freeways. I have advanced autopilot and fsd shows as $5100 on my app, but not interested until as a minimum cruise control can work properly and dangerous phantom braking is dealt with.
It is also reasonable to contemplate whether fsd can be sufficiently advanced on the latest hardware, noting elon said that version 1 cars would drive themself…so would 2, then 2.5….then 3….but now version 4 definately will, apparently.

I think it adds traffic light recognition- but dont expect it to always work as it cannot always distinguish that you are in a right turn lane which is red whilst straight ahead is green. It also adds auto lane changing on freeways. I have advanced autopilot and fsd shows as $5100 on my app, but not interested until as a minimum cruise control can work properly and dangerous phantom braking is dealt with.
It is also reasonable to contemplate whether fsd can be sufficiently advanced on the latest hardware, noting elon said that version 1 cars would drive themself…so would 2, then 2.5….then 3….but now version 4 definately will, apparently.
With the exception of traffic light recognition, I have all this currently on my 6 year old Benz E class. So my MY is a backward step?

With the exception of traffic light recognition, I have all this currently on my 6 year old Benz E class. So my MY is a backward step?
If you want the auto-lane changing, auto-parking, summon and smart summon you can get all that with the "EAP" package that costs half of the cost of FSD.

Either way you don't need to order it when you order the car, you buy those upgrades later through the app.

Before shelling out any money on EAP / FSD, see what you think of the Tesla cruise control and whether that gives you any confidence compared to your Benz.
You can purchase the upgrade, try it for 24 hours (maybe more? unsure), then ask for refund in the app. I did that with performance boost. Good way to confirm value or lack thereof.

You can purchase the upgrade, try it for 24 hours (maybe more? unsure), then ask for refund in the app

Yes, this is a good idea. You get 48 hours to change your mind.

For upgrades purchased from the Tesla app, you can request a refund from the Tesla app within 48 hours of purchase.
All refund conditions are available in your Tesla app

from Upgrades | Tesla Support Australia

Reactions: Power Hungry
Before shelling out any money on EAP / FSD, see what you think of the Tesla cruise control and whether that gives you any confidence compared to your Benz.
The Benz semi-autonomous drive is okay on highways etc but on arterial roads with curves etc it can be a bit dodgy. The car will often start to make the turn way too late so i take control. I'm hoping the Tesla is better at that.

The more I watch FSD videos from the US the more I’m hoping we see it here soon. I guess it’s a gamble of when to buy the FSD package, it’s cheap compared to US now, but will no doubt increase when the functionality is available. I haven‘t heard from any reliable sources if/when it’ll arrive here. Give that the Oz is decades behind the rest of the world in a lot of things, we might be waiting for a while.

The more I watch FSD videos from the US the more I’m hoping we see it here soon. I guess it’s a gamble of when to buy the FSD package, it’s cheap compared to US now, but will no doubt increase when the functionality is available. I haven‘t heard from any reliable sources if/when it’ll arrive here. Give that the Oz is decades behind the rest of the world in a lot of things, we might be waiting for a while.
So what you're saying is, that FSD as removed from enhanced auto pilot in Australia, is currently way behind the US and next to useless? I wonder why they make it an option. To spend $5K on FSD now and get nothing in return.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
Do you have experience with lane following in auto pilot in Australia? Is it okay?
It stays in its lane. The massive safety issue though is the full blown phantom emergency braking for no reason. You just have to hope no-one is behind you when it randomly happens. Tesla are aware of it and warn in the manual that it may occur. This also happens on the base tacc setting with no lane keeping.

Reactions: Power Hungry
I've had my car for 18 months now. When I first got it, I did not trust lane following on single lane roads, mainly because of braking issues with cars coming over rises in the other direction and swerving towards safety rails. Multilane was reasonable. However, there have been incremental improvements and recently I did a 800km trip through Regional NSW and I had AP (lane following plus TACC = Traffic Aware Cruise Control ) enabled for nearly all the trip and had no problems. This was on nearly all single lane (each direction) roads. The only issues were setting the speed limit wrongly in two places with truck/bus speed limits where the Tesla missed the "truck/bus" bit of the message. There have been sign recognition improvements but mine still sets to 40km/hr passing buses in Sydney and Canberra. Overall, a big addition to relaxing and safer driving.

Last year, I had a top of the range Kia for a month and I found the lane following to be really bad with the car oscillating continuously in a lane. barely staying in the lane and behaving like a drunk driver. Very irritating feature which kept defaulting to "on" each time I restarted the car. The Tesla leaves it for dead. I used to find my Tesla turning slightly late coming into curves but that now seems to be fixed.