Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now, nothing. Its on the Tesla roadmap. Elon suggested that they will start to add functionality for FSD in the 2H of this year, but given they are still behind on delivering EAP, it may take a while. You can always upgrade later once you know what you are actually going to get.

• Informative
Reactions: mikerathbun
FSD is L4/L5 autonomy. This means you could go take a nap while the car drove you around.

There's a lot of speculation as to whether this will happen at all, and if it does, how many years down the road.

When FSDC is actually available it will cost more than this advance price, but when that happens the stock will be doing very well. Tesla can't realize your gift until the software is out. Might as well use that cash to buy stock on the dips now and buy when FSDC is real.

Reactions: JHWJR
Full autonomy will take years.
They have a disclaimer "when approved by regulators" too.
Your car might be in a bad shape from normal usage or even stolen/salvage by then...

On the other hand.
There WILL be CPU upgrade (to one that Tesla is making with Samsung) anyone that bought FSD now will get it for free (there is NO doubt about it - it is software that is costly not the hardware if you are the owner of all the patents, etc. like Tesla will be in a deal with Samsung).
Those that buy it later might pay more (not only those 500$ if they decide for it after delivery).

Full autonomy will take years.
They have a disclaimer "when approved by regulators" too.
Your car might be in a bad shape from normal usage or even stolen/salvage by then...

On the other hand.
There WILL be CPU upgrade (to one that Tesla is making with Samsung) anyone that bought FSD now will get it for free (there is NO doubt about it - it is software that is costly not the hardware if you are the owner of all the patents, etc. like Tesla will be in a deal with Samsung).
Those that buy it later might pay more (not only those 500$ if they decide for it after delivery).

Pure speculation.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
FSD is L4/L5 autonomy. This means you could go take a nap while the car drove you around.

There's a lot of speculation as to whether this will happen at all, and if it does, how many years down the road.

Same timetable as this...

74dc9cb270c1cffe00c990fa6624484b-187658

Purchased 2017 Model S in last Dec with purchase of "Enhanced Autopilot". Just noticed there is yet another optional package I need to buy "Full Self-Driving Capability".

What would "Full Self-Driving Capability" do for me?
The actual usability of Level 4/5 autonomous capability - I think - is going to vary a lot based on your location. In the US, states make the laws related to roads and driving, so the political climate will play a big role. Where I live ("The land of the boll weevil, where the laws are medieval") rules to allow full autonomous operation are likely to be decades away; whereas some states are already planning specific areas where it will be permitted (i.e., these areas will have particular road features to enable it, such as excellent road markings, DSRC communications for V2I operation, specific road maintenance policies, etc.)

Reactions: Nick S
Tesla could and should provide more information on EAP & FSD.

A lot of the discussion about EAP & FSD is speculation.

All we have to go on is the few statements Tesla publishes on their website and anything they put into the Purchase Agreement for cars containing the AP 2 hardware.

We purchased the EAP/FSD options for our new S100D (which has been sitting at the local Service Center for 2 weeks, evidently waiting for the EPA).

We expect EAP should be working (mostly) sometime this year - so there wasn't a lot of risk in purchase EAP now, and doing so saves $$$.

Purchasing FSD is more speculative, but a bet we were willing to make. If/when Tesla does get FSD working, they could change the future upgrade price - and we preferred to lock in that price now.

And, even if they fail to get the FSD approved for operation, enabling all of the sensors with the FSD purchase should make EAP even better and safer to use, with the additional sensor data.

You've drunk the kool-aid, I see. If and when that ever happens, he can pay for the FSD option then. No reason to pay now for something that only exists in a controlled demonstration but not in real life.

The whole point of the video was that it was in real life. I'm not sure how else you define real life? Maybe only Texas counts and not California??

The whole point of the video was that it was in real life. I'm not sure how else you define real life? Maybe only Texas counts and not California??

*I'm not saying they did this*
They could have programmed the car to one specific path, and demonstrated that path in the video. They could have recorded 10,000 videos, and published the only 1 that works.
*/I'm not saying they did this*

Having a video does not mean something works. A prerecorded video is not real life. Hence TexasEV's comment about a controlled demonstration vs. real life.

By now, you still aren't convinced that was a manipulated video? really?

By the way, concerning speculation...anything Tesla said or says is also speculation as far as I can tell. They apparently feel no obligation to actually confirm even the feasibility of ideas coming out of their brainstorming lunch hour before Elon starts tweeting about them and the dealership starts collecting deposits.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and Max*