Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully paid FSD at purchase - feeling cheated, and left out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016.5 Model S, paid for FSD at purchase, still can't get it. But, even though we went "bare bones" on wife's (second) Model Y a few months ago (no upgrades other than color), she has FSD in her car and it works great (although the free subscription ends soon). Tesla service is telling me that the pre-paid FSD "complete program" is "not available at this time" (no idea when it will be), and the "FSD Supervised" program is not yet available in MCU1 (will be in the future, no idea when). My only real option is to pay $2,458 for the MCU2 upgrade for the privilege of paying a monthly subscription for something I paid for at purchase. This is my second Tesla and my family's fourth, and we love them, but I sure am feeling left out and cheated for something that cost over $10,000 at time of purchase. Should have bought TSLA with the ten grand instead!!!

- John

2016.5 Model S, paid for FSD at purchase, still can't get it. But, even though we went "bare bones" on wife's (second) Model Y a few months ago (no upgrades other than color), she has FSD in her car and it works great (although the free subscription ends soon). Tesla service is telling me that the pre-paid FSD "complete program" is "not available at this time" (no idea when it will be), and the "FSD Supervised" program is not yet available in MCU1 (will be in the future, no idea when). My only real option is to pay $2,458 for the MCU2 upgrade for the privilege of paying a monthly subscription for something I paid for at purchase. This is my second Tesla and my family's fourth, and we love them, but I sure am feeling left out and cheated for something that cost over $10,000 at time of purchase. Should have bought TSLA with the ten grand instead!!!

- John
So you purchased FSD in 2020? Did you get the 2016 used? If you own it and upgrade your MCU, you will be able to use it. What you are saying isn't adding up.

I too am a little confused about what you are saying. But if I take your statement at face value and you paid full price for FSD on the purchase price of a new Model S in 2016.

I do feel sorry for you and anyone else who was duped into paying so much money for a "promise" of something to exist in the future, but yes, unfortunately you only bought a "promise", not an actual tangible product. I did the same when I bought an upgrade from EAP to FSD in 2019 (ish?) for $2K during a fire sale, but that $2K was about all I was willing to spend on a "promise" (I think of it more as a bet...one that I'm currently losing). There is no way I would have paid the full asking price of FSD (which at the time I bought my car was $9K I think, $5K of which was EAP).

I suspect you have at least had the 2016 equivalent of EAP since 2016 if that's the case, which frankly is about the only truly useful feature -- FSD is impressive, but it's not really FSD: you still have to pay close attention, so other than on long stretches of highway where EAP would be more applicable anyway, the only thing today's FSD is buying you is a very impressive party trick (and a rationale for money spent).

Of course my memory is probably not accurate, but does the 2016 basically have HW1 and it is basically limited to EAP functionality anyway?

Reactions: jpk195
I too am a little confused about what you are saying. But if I take your statement at face value and you paid full price for FSD on the purchase price of a new Model S in 2016.....
According to Copilot/ChatGTP FSD Capability was $3000.
IMG_4855.jpeg

Not sure if you're joking or not.

FSD was an addition to EAP, they weren't sold separately at first. You had to have EAP as the base and then could add FSD $8k total if I remember correctly, but there was a period where it went on sale for like $7k or $7.5k.
I don't recall the add-on ever being that expensive, even at it's recent high point. When I bought my car in 2018, EAP cost $5K and I think the FSD add-on was $4K. It did then go up and down a few times. I think until just recently it was $6K and $6K, right?

Edit: I think I misread your post. I think you are saying $8K total (including the base EAP), right? Yes, that is in line with what I remember.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Not sure if you're joking or not.

FSD was an addition to EAP, they weren't sold separately at first. You had to have EAP as the base and then could add FSD $8k total if I remember correctly, but there was a period where it went on sale for like $7k or $7.5k.
I stand corrected. That was before I bought and had no direct memory the price of FSD was higher in 2018 than in 2019. I know it was $5,000 just a couple of months before I bought and went up to $6,000 in mid 2019.

NotaTeslaApp said:
Before 2019 FSD was an add-on that required also buying Enhanced Autopilot. Enhanced Autopilot cost $5,000 and FSD was a $3,000 option on top of that if ordered with the vehicle. If you ordered FSD after taking delivery then it cost $4,000, which later went up to $5,000.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 1.56.24 PM.png

- John
Tesla doesn't deny that your MCU1 won't get FSD. It just takes a little bit longer (like eternity).

Otherwise, you could take Tesla to a small claim court to get you a free MCU2 because it's not worth a couple of thousand dollars for Tesla to show up at a small court.

I am with you. You bought FSD so you should get FSD. It's Tesla's obligation to upgrade your hardware MCU to get you FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: jpk195 and KArnold
Say WHAT????? In 2019 I paid $6,000 and that was up. No WAY you paid $10K in 2016. I bet it was a LOT closer to $3,000 than $10,000.
If you order a Tesla today (April 2024), FSD costs $8,000. It was $15,000 in 2016
I too am a little confused about what you are saying. But if I take your statement at face value and you paid full price for FSD on the purchase price of a new Model S in 2016.

I do feel sorry for you and anyone else who was duped into paying so much money for a "promise" of something to exist in the future, but yes, unfortunately you only bought a "promise", not an actual tangible product. I did the same when I bought an upgrade from EAP to FSD in 2019 (ish?) for $2K during a fire sale, but that $2K was about all I was willing to spend on a "promise" (I think of it more as a bet...one that I'm currently losing). There is no way I would have paid the full asking price of FSD (which at the time I bought my car was $9K I think, $5K of which was EAP).

I suspect you have at least had the 2016 equivalent of EAP since 2016 if that's the case, which frankly is about the only truly useful feature -- FSD is impressive, but it's not really FSD: you still have to pay close attention, so other than on long stretches of highway where EAP would be more applicable anyway, the only thing today's FSD is buying you is a very impressive party trick (and a rationale for money spent).

Of course my memory is probably not accurate, but does the 2016 basically have HW1 and it is basically limited to EAP functionality anyway?
Yes, you have it about right. Paid for FSD at purchase and not getting it. And frustrated that those that didn't pay for FSD are getting FSD (for a $100 a month, anyway). Not sure whether its HW1 (it's a late 2016 manufacture date and looks like the 2017 on forward).

If you order a Tesla today (April 2024), FSD costs $8,000. It was $15,000 in 2016

Yes, you have it about right. Paid for FSD at purchase and not getting it. And frustrated that those that didn't pay for FSD are getting FSD (for a $100 a month, anyway). Not sure whether its HW1 (it's a late 2016 manufacture date and looks like the 2017 on forward).
No. It wasn't $15k in 2016.

Not sure whether its HW1 (it's a late 2016 manufacture date and looks like the 2017 on forward).
If it was manufactured after mid-Oct 2016, then it is AP2. If it was AP1, the FSD was not even an option to purchase, not matter what the price. The only option with AP1 equipped vehicles is if you purchased what was simple called autopilot. There was no AP vs. EAP distinction with AP1, and in fact, the distinction of AP vs. EAP didn't actually start per my memory until some time after AP2 type of capability was in production for some time.

Reactions: gsmith123