Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny sighting at Hawthorne supercharger today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, each supercharger is internet enabled, so that also means that the Supercharger could do a VIN lookup to verify supercharger is enabled on a vehicle.

Why complicate things? One bit programmed on the car is all that is necessary. The car can refuse to charge at an SC. The SC likely has little to do with it. No complex protocol or network required.

I feel bad for the people who are probably really uncomfortable driving electric to begin with (must be one of their first times) and then to likely feel so totally frustrated not knowing what to do when the plug doesn't fit. No one explained that part to them, I'm sure. And in her case, if there is a Leaf EVSE nearby, someone might have told her 'near Tesla'.

I hope someone helped her out quickly and the experience didn't sour her on EVs ...

How many GUYS have I met at Superchargers who don't know about pairing, ramp up, etc, grousing about how long it's taking to get charged. I wonder if no one has told them, or if they weren't listening (No one told me. I had to find it during my four years' of reading before I got the car). Not everyone automatically knows how to use all these cords. I needed help with my adapters (Yeah, especially the Roadster to Model S one, with the charger turned off, lots of steps, it didn't work until the owner came out and showed me how to do it).

It's not all girls. It's inexperience. I feel sorry for these poor girls who are trying to make it into a parking space at Safeway in their husband's F350, because it's the car HE needs for his compensations. They would not have bought the boat hauler in the first place.

And then, I have to say, I know a couple ladies who drive huge gravel trucks and trailers, and they are every bit as good as their co-workers.

Imagine the volts clogging up the superchargers like they do every other charger. We would never be be able to charge, just so they could get another 35 miles more while sitting for hours upon hours.

Indeed... which is one of the reasons i suggested that Tesla licensing the Supercharger spec to 3rd parties to create a paid network would be preferable... the Tesla free network remains for Tesla owners only. And then in a pinch we could also use the 3rd party network if need be...

I hope you (or whoever took the picture) actually went over to help instead of just taking a pic to poke fun of her on the Internet. I mean, I'm sure it was good-natured, but still. That's a super-awkward situation that could turn someone off of EVs altogether. "Then I got to the electricity station I saw on the map, couldn't figure out how it worked, and the people there took pictures of me while I struggled." Ouch.

Imagine the volts clogging up the superchargers like they do every other charger. We would never be be able to charge, just so they could get another 35 miles more while sitting for hours upon hours.

How busy is Hawthorne these days anyhow ? I understand there where some issues getting a spot especially while they added more chargers a few months back.
Is there good / bad time to arrive there to charge ?

How busy is Hawthorne these days anyhow ? I understand there where some issues getting a spot especially while they added more chargers a few months back.
Is there good / bad time to arrive there to charge ?
Zapped-
We are neighbors to the Hawthorne Supercharger, there are times where I see it pretty empty in the mornings and sometimes packed in the evenings. What do you think about a thread with Hawthorne Supercharger updates? If anyone is curious how busy or slow is it send me a PM and I will personally go check for them :)

Zapped-
We are neighbors to the Hawthorne Supercharger, there are times where I see it pretty empty in the mornings and sometimes packed in the evenings. What do you think about a thread with Hawthorne Supercharger updates? If anyone is curious how busy or slow is it send me a PM and I will personally go check for them :)

I'm not in your area and have no business suggesting this, but how about a supercharger webcam?!

-m

I'm not in your area and have no business suggesting this, but how about a supercharger webcam?!

-m

Although a little more money than the average WebCam, here is an example of what I do from my house in Pagosa with a tele lens on an HD WebCam: http://irupe.com/webcams/KPSO199006.jpg For reference, the airport to the left, lower-center of the picture is 6 miles away.

KPSO199006.jpg

Last edited:
Back to what was reported in the first post, saw the same kind of thing happen at Gilroy today! I was done charging at the Supercharger and moved the car to a shaded spot a couple of rows away with a clear view of the SC spots; was waiting for my wife to finish up shopping.

Saw a white Leaf pull in gingerly into one of the vacant spots, linger for a couple of minutes and then move out and into one of the adjoining J1772 spots. Not sure if the owner knowingly pulled into the SC spot for some reason or not but, reminded me of this thread.

Back to what was reported in the first post, saw the same kind of thing happen at Gilroy today! I was done charging at the Supercharger and moved the car to a shaded spot a couple of rows away with a clear view of the SC spots; was waiting for my wife to finish up shopping.

Saw a white Leaf pull in gingerly into one of the vacant spots, linger for a couple of minutes and then move out and into one of the adjoining J1772 spots. Not sure if the owner knowingly pulled into the SC spot for some reason or not but, reminded me of this thread.

Pic? Maybe captioned "what I wanna be when I grow up"

oops! ;)