Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC if bought from third party dealee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 2016 Model S from a third party dealership (not directly from Tesla) If it shoes just one previous owner, does this mean that I should still have free unlimited supercharging after I buy it or does it get deactivated? I'm a little confused since many threads say that only if Tesla gets it in their inventory as a used vehicle is when FUSC gets taken away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have no way of finding out if tesla ever took possession of the car, unless you buy directly from someone who bought it from tesla, so NO ONE, us, you, or anyone else can tell you whether FUSC will stay there or not.
Got it, so if Tesla took possession of the car, FUSC is gone.

If the vehicle was traded in to the dealer without Tesla ever taking ownership, it should transfer to the next owner?

Having followed dozens of threads on this, here is my recommendations (Note - no guarantees here, just my observations)

- Try supercharging. On the charging screen, after the session, if it does not show any record of supercharging charges, or does not state that you need a payment method, the car currently probably has FUSC

- If you purchase, (assuming it appears FUSC is on the car) you will need to register the car with Tesla. After you setup your Tesla account, you will then register the car to the account. Note - you will be asked if the car is from a 3rd Party dealer or a private party puchase. From the threads, it appears that Tesla has (in the past) pulled FUSC from vehicles that were reported as 3rd Party dealer sales. FUSC for vehicles ordered prior to Jan 2017 are supposed to have FUSC tied to the VIN. The only exception is if the car was returned to Tesla and then subsequently auctioned. However, Tesla does what they want, and you can't fight them. In my case, I only reported as a private party sale. (IMHO, Tesla has no right to know where you got the car), and I only provided my registration as proof of ownership, FUSC transferred no problem. If the car has FUSC, it should transfer.

- Try to pull a carfax and see if the car ever was a lease that may have been returned to Tesla (or a trade back to Tesla). This would be a red flag that even if it has FUSC now, it may not when a new owner registers.

- Unfortunately, there really is no way to guarantee that FUSC will transfer. As you read the threads, you'll see numerous cases where Tesla has pulled it off vehicles after the car has been put on a new account. In my case, I did as I said (tested it, checked CarFax, reported as private sale) and it transferred as it should. I think the only way you can ensure FUSC transfer is if you buy from a private party, and have the seller transfer the car to you in their Tesla account. (Seems to be the most consistant). If the car is a good deal, try what I did, but keep in mind you may not receive FUSC, and you will have no leverage with Tesla. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

You have no way of finding out if tesla ever took possession of the car, unless you buy directly from someone who bought it from tesla, so NO ONE, us, you, or anyone else can tell you whether FUSC will stay there or not.

Even then you still can't be sure unless the you're buying it from the original owner and they can prove they are the original owner with paperwork.

Got it, so if Tesla took possession of the car, FUSC is gone.

If the vehicle was traded in to the dealer without Tesla ever taking ownership, it should transfer to the next owner?

Tesla has stated in writing that FUSC will be removed if it passes through any third party dealer whether they've taken possession of it or not. My personal opinion is that this should be illegal if they didn't own the car in-between.

screen-shot-2021-05-11-at-8-18-26-pm-png.661474

I bought mine from a 3rd party dealer 3 months ago and the free supercharging stayed👍 2015. I believe 2017 and later, they can remove it, prior years stay with the car unless Tesla takes possession (which you can find via car fax.)

another note: FUSC may not be as valuable as you think..
Strongly disagree. Depends how you drive the car. I commute 4 - 5 times a month 180 miles to and then 180 back. Doing some back if the napkin calculations, I would be paying the same cost/mi as my old hybrid ICE car. Yes, if you only use it infrequently, not a big deal, but it’s worth quite a bit to someone like me who was out at least $2300 / yr for gas. Over 5 years (reasonable ownership period) that’s at least a $10k value

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Strongly disagree. Depends how you drive the car. I commute 4 - 5 times a month 180 miles to and then 180 back. Doing some back if the napkin calculations, I would be paying the same cost/mi as my old hybrid ICE car. Yes, if you only use it infrequently, not a big deal, but it’s worth quite a bit to someone like me who was out at least $2300 / yr for gas. Over 5 years (reasonable ownership period) that’s at least a $10k value
understood. hence my use of "may"...

Also, you do represent the minority of drivers. Most drivers in the USA do not drive that far that frequently.

"Strongly disagree" with a statement that is clearly made to point out how relative that feature is and uses the word "may" to indicate it isn't a statement that applies to everyone in every circumstance? Why are some on this forum so insistent on arguing at all costs?

Not arguing, just feeling that many on this forum discount the value of FUSC.
Actually, you are arguing. All he said was that it may not be as valuable as many people think. Lots of people absolutely refuse to buy a used Tesla unless it has a USC Even though they might only save a hundred bucks a year. I think his post was just trying to open up the eyes of some people who don't realize that for them it may not be the most important and critical factor in shopping for a used Tesla. That's not to say that it isn't useful in advantageous for some, it's just saying that many overvalue it which is 100% accurate. This is coming from somebody who goes out of their way to get it on their cars because we road trip them frequently. Replying to his post with "strongly disagree" is the epitome of arguing.

Last edited:
What year cars? Pre-January 2017?
One owner bought Certified Pre-Owned 2015 Model S from Tesla and the FUSC was actually active in real life for 3 months until Tesla made an audit and took it away (Tesla did tell the owner that FUSC would not be included):