Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway updated to 21.20.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 8.16 kW panels and 2 Powerwalls system as well and I tried running today in “test mode” while waiting for PTO. I was hoping to charge my Powerwalls up because we’re in the very provisional path of a tropical storm arriving next week. I’m curious about your experience. Does your system fully function? My system was fully functioning at the end of my install day before they used my EV/ESS disconnect to shut it all off. Here is what I posted in another thread:
Yep ... I'm running the same system in "test mode", turn grid off, set the system in the app to Self-powered and turn PV, batteries and Gateway on. Just insure you set the back up threshold low otherwise your system may turn off once the reserve level is met. I set mine to 5%.

Yep ... I'm running the same system in "test mode", turn grid off, set the system in the app to Self-powered and turn PV, batteries and Gateway on. Just insure you set the back up threshold low otherwise your system may turn off once the reserve level is met. I set mine to 5%.
I did all of that, though my power reserve is 89% which I think is default? Anyway my Powerwalls were at 45% which I could see after I flipped my single blade disconnect. My Powerwalls have been on since the install day (their individual power buttons are on, lights are green). The breakers for my 2 Powerwalls are on (closed) within my Backup Gateway 2. I cannot tell if the gateway is on, there doesn’t seem to be a light and it never seems to broadcast its SSID. The inverter/controller at the top of my Powerwall+ seems to always be on regardless of my blade disconnect. Components are lit up when I open the cover and I’ve seen my live grid usage data since my install day. It’s been connected to my home’s network since then too.

When you turn your system on this way that we’re doing, does your solar take several minutes to start powering your home and charging your Powerwalls? I’m going to try again over the weekend because I’d like to charge my Powerwalls up more in case we have an outage due to this storm potentially heading towards Florida next week. I guess I should note that my system passed inspection and I’m waiting on PTO and a new meter from my utility company.

This firmware completely screwed up and ignored all the customization options. So much so that I had to have the PW folks remote in to fix. I did notice that this firmware has the Tesla Inverters listed in the Installer config, and added some other options.

My issue however was that the solar would only go to the batteries until they hit 100%. They knew of the problem and were able to fix without downgrading.

Ahh the button has appeared. This is what I was expecting to happen when Elon tweeted in back April when people were saying they have a system installed but no PTO and hinted at solar and battery off grid setup until the PTO and then be grid/solar/battery ( was in the solar roof and panels bundles thread )

I got the 21.20.2 update around 315am today and my logging stopped. Currently if I use the dhcp hostname in a web browser or logger it disconnects getting the auth token with an error. But using the ip address of the powerwall(gateway) it works as normal... something to deal with later if it doesn't fix itself

The auth cookie still looks like a session cookie in chrome here, so will need to login every time the session ends as usual. This didn't change for me, so not sure why others need to login every time unless the session was ended

Got this new firmware version overnight (previously on 20.49.0) I don't see anything in the documentation. The Tesla app is not obviously different.
However, the direct login (screenshot below) has a brand new option "Go Off Grid". It shows up on the TEG wifi login as well as the ethernet connection.
Have not tested it - has anyone else ? Do you get a "return to grid" sort of option when you do ? Any other observed effects ? Any issues ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 6.32.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-02 at 6.32.09 AM.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I tried the GO OFF GRID button. It was a near instant process, no lights flickered in my home and I couldn’t tell that there was an outage/failover to my Powerwalls. The button changes to a green GO ON GRID button, which I was later able to use to successfully reconnect my home to the grid.

Attachments

• 531F5055-83D7-417B-B055-A8B662927944.png
    531F5055-83D7-417B-B055-A8B662927944.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 90
I pushed the red button and my power went off for 2 seconds, then on for a bit, then off again and kept repeating until I pushed go on grid. It is possibly because my Powerwalls were at 100% and it is the middle of the day and the solar is producing a ton of power. House load at the time was under 1 KW. Not sure.

I pushed the red button and my power went off for 2 seconds, then on for a bit, then off again and kept repeating until I pushed go on grid. It is possibly because my Powerwalls were at 100% and it is the middle of the day and the solar is producing a ton of power. House load at the time was under 1 KW. Not sure.
That's pretty good if they're fully charged and you went off for only 2 seconds. Mine usually take ~5 minutes for grid to come back on and 15 for PV production to resume.

That's pretty good if they're fully charged and you went off for only 2 seconds. Mine usually take ~5 minutes for grid to come back on and 15 for PV production to resume.
The problem is it got stuck in a loop where the power would then go out again and then back on. I was worried the constant on off of the power could damage the refrigerator compressor (AC was not running at the time) so I stopped the experiment after it went off and came back on the third time.

Too chicken to push it again… and the AC compressor is on right now. Hopefully what I saw was a fluke.

The problem is it got stuck in a loop where the power would then go out again and then back on. I was worried the constant on off of the power could damage the refrigerator compressor (AC was not running at the time) so I stopped the experiment after it went off and came back on the third time.

Too chicken to push it again… and the AC compressor is on right now. Hopefully what I saw was a fluke.
If you test it again, try waiting until the Powerwalls are already powering the house. Then it should only take milliseconds instead of 2 seconds.

If you test it again, try waiting until the Powerwalls are already powering the house. Then it should only take milliseconds instead of 2 seconds.
They do kick in nearly instantly when not in standby. I have tested in the past by opening the service disconnect. The issue here is not the time it took to kick in. It is that the power kept flickering off and on and off again. I only pushed the go off grid one time and the power went out and came back on 3 times until I pushed the go on grid button.

looks like i was rebooted this morning around 11:30. the app shows 21.20.2 now.

unfortunately the gateway seems to have decided not to start satisfying the home demand at 3pm as it should have (cost saving mode, EV2A). tried editing my schedule but nothing changed…

edit: at 3:15 it “woke up” and started discharging. i’ve noticed that there is a bit of latency when changing parameters in the iphone app…

looks like i was rebooted this morning around 11:30. the app shows 21.20.2 now.

unfortunately the gateway seems to have decided not to start satisfying the home demand at 3pm as it should have (cost saving mode, EV2A). tried editing my schedule but nothing changed…

edit: at 3:15 it “woke up” and started discharging. i’ve noticed that there is a bit of latency when changing parameters in the iphone app…
Its a pain to have to re log in now

Reactions: GaitherBill