Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 8 ft and 18 ft discontinued?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week after I received mine with the 18’ cord they released the 24’ unit. I thought I could live with the 18’ but no luck. My previous EVSE was a Clipper Creek with a 25’ cord. By the time I inquired about returning it I missed the deadline by 1 day.

So am thinking of selling it for the 24’ unit. My plan is to sell it for $350 (I’ll eat the sales tax and offer the dollar value for the tax credit). Do you think that’s a fair price?

A week after I received mine with the 18’ cord they released the 24’ unit. I thought I could live with the 18’ but no luck. My previous EVSE was a Clipper Creek with a 25’ cord. By the time I inquired about returning it I missed the deadline by 1 day.

So am thinking of selling it for the 24’ unit. My plan is to sell it for $350 (I’ll eat the sales tax and offer the dollar value for the tax credit). Do you think that’s a fair price?
I replaced my 18' with 24' and am planning on putting the 18' on eBay. Thinking closer to $400 as "like new" and will have a box. A few of them are going for over $500 used.

I get the rationale for the 8' unit, for those who are mounting on the wall near the charge port. I don't get why they reduced from 24' to 18' for the other, unnecessarily long for the first use case, but a few feet too short for almost any other wall location, but apparently realized their mistake...

Reactions: Blue Stuff
@kithytom

Before you lock in on the 8-footer play a few what ifs. What if a friend stops by, will that 8-footer be long enough? What if you next EV has the plug at the opposite end of the car? Do you have a 2-car garage, what if you buy a 2nd EV?

Just points to think about.

@kithytom

Before you lock in on the 8-footer play a few what ifs. What if a friend stops by, will that 8-footer be long enough? What if you next EV has the plug at the opposite end of the car? Do you have a 2-car garage, what if you buy a 2nd EV?

Just points to think about.
It's funny you mention this. Just this morning I sold my old 25' Juicebox 40amp J1772 that I got with my first Tesla back in 2016. I bought the 25' J1772 charger because I wanted to be sure I could charge other friends EV's that stopped by, and I wanted a cord long enough to reach out into the driveway from inside my garage.

Whelp, it's been over 5 years, and not one person has ever stopped by and needed a charge and I've never needed to charge my own car outside of the garage.. In fact, in the last 5 years, the only EV's that have ever parked in my driveway were a few Tesla Mobile Service cars (didn't need to charge), and a single Nissan Leaf driven by the guy who bought the charger this morning.

I now have a Tesla HPWC that was given to me by a friend. It also has the long cord but I really wish I had the 8' version as it's much easier to deal with.

/edit. Just as a footnote. Years ago I helped a few local businesses install some destination chargers. After several years, the chargers with 24' cords all have connectors that are beat to absolute s**t. On those, people often park nose in, and stretch the cords back to the charge ports, then they get dragged and beat up when (if) they put the cords away when done. Also the cords themselves are very damaged from just being dragged around or driven over when not properly put back.

The units with 8' cords (which force you to back in) are in MUCH better shape. The cords are not nearly as worn, and the connectors (while still a little banged up) are way better off as they usually are put back into the holsters, and not just dropped onto the ground.

Last edited: