Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! I need some advice on a used purchase of a model 3 -

I'm purchasing a car that was manufactured in 2018 so the current owner has the option to upgrade the car to FSD for 5k, and I believe that should be transferable with the car.

If I purchase the car and transfer it to my account, would I still be able to upgrade it for 5k down the line or would I have to pay the full 10k upgrade price?

Hey guys! I need some advice on a used purchase of a model 3 -

I'm purchasing a car that was manufactured in 2018 so the current owner has the option to upgrade the car to FSD for 5k, and I believe that should be transferable with the car.

If I purchase the car and transfer it to my account, would I still be able to upgrade it for 5k down the line or would I have to pay the full 10k upgrade price?

Full 10k price. If they can get FSD for 5k, and you want it, you should negotiate that to have them make the purchase before you complete the transaction.

I would ask for a screenshot on their phone that FSD can still be bought for 5k. I have not heard of this, and have my doubts.

Full 10k price. If they can get FSD for 5k, and you want it, you should negotiate that to have them make the purchase before you complete the transaction.

I would ask for a screenshot on their phone that FSD can still be bought for 5k. I have not heard of this, and have my doubts.
Confirmed with the previous owner that the purchase price for him is 5k.

The FSD option doesn’t seem to add much value to the car on KBB though, do you think it’s worth getting the option?

Hi. I'm amazed to find the apparently ultra high value my 2019 Model 3 SR+ has retained. I live in the Denver area and paid $36,000 for my "base model" "Standard Range" Model 3 in April 2019, paying only the $1000 extra for a non-base color. Tesla fulfilled my order with an SR+, not an SR, simply 'cause they had not set up the mfg line to make the SR yet. Thought I'd share the offers I've received from Tesla, Carvana and CarMax for my car in good condition with just 18,300 miles on it.

I wasn't looking to sell my Model 3, but Tesla out of the blue wrote me an email on 9 May and asked me if I wanted to get a quote on my car:
Hope this message finds you well. I wanted to reach out and see if you would like to get a quote on your Model 3 to maybe look into a new Tesla model. We have had our trades coming higher and people have been making the switch to Model Y’s as well as Model 3’s with heat pumps.

Thank you for being a Tesla owner and helping with our mission. If you are also interested I can help provide a quote for solar as well. Would you like for me to give you a quote on your car or solar? Looking forward to hearing from you.
So I said sure. ... Tesla offered me $27,100 on 12 May; which is just about exactly even with the money I'd actually put in the car (after the $5k Colorado and $3750 Federal subsidies). Cool.

So I asked Carvana. They quickly (pure online) made me an offer of $33,606 for my
car. The offer says it is good for a month.
2019 Tesla Model 3 / Standard Range Plus Sedan 4D / 5YJ3E1... serial number | 18240 mi​

Last Thursday, I took my car to CarMax in north Denver and they quoted me $35,000 firm offer for my car, good for one week. They are the only one that actually looked at the car. They took a lot of pictures.

The Tesla quote had expired after 7 days, so thinking something really strange might have happened in the used market in two weeks, I wrote back last Thursday and asked if they would update their offer. Tesla said "Looks like the value did go up a few hundred looking at $27,600. Would you want to possibly consider trading?"

Frankly, I'm amazed. Getting quoted over 97% of the purchase price ($35k vs. $36k when new) for a car with 18k+ miles is simply amazing. Having it be nearly $8000 more than I actually paid (after subsidies) for a 2+ yrs of driving the best car I've ever owned is simply astonishing.

Is anyone else seeing stuff like this?

Last edited:
Hi. I'm amazed to find the apparently ultra high value my 2019 Model 3 SR+ has retained. I live in the Denver area and paid $36,000 for my "base model" "Standard Range" Model 3 in April 2019, paying only the $1000 extra for a non-base color. Tesla fulfilled my order with an SR+, not an SR, simply 'cause they had not set up the mfg line to make the SR yet. Thought I'd share the offers I've received from Tesla, Carvana and CarMax for my car in good condition with just 18,300 miles on it.

I wasn't looking to sell my Model 3, but Tesla out of the blue wrote me an email on 9 May and asked me if I wanted to get a quote on my car:

So I said sure. ... Tesla offered me $27,100 on 12 May; which is just about exactly even with the money I'd actually put in the car (after the $5k Colorado and $3750 Federal subsidies). Cool.

So I asked Carvana. They quickly (pure online) made me an offer of $33,606 for my
car. The offer says it is good for a month.
2019 Tesla Model 3 / Standard Range Plus Sedan 4D / 5YJ3E1... serial number | 18240 mi​

Last Thursday, I took my car to CarMax in north Denver and they quoted me $35,000 firm offer for my car, good for one week. They are the only one that actually looked at the car. They took a lot of pictures.

The Tesla quote had expired after 7 days, so thinking something really strange might have happened in the used market in two weeks, I wrote back last Thursday and asked if they would update their offer. Tesla said "Looks like the value did go up a few hundred looking at $27,600. Would you want to possibly consider trading?"

Frankly, I'm amazed. Getting quoted over 97% of the purchase price ($35k vs. $36k when new) for a car with 18k+ miles is simply amazing. Having it be nearly $8000 more than I actually paid (after subsidies) for a 2+ yrs of driving the best car I've ever owned is simply astonishing.

Is anyone else seeing stuff like this?
The used value has gone up quite a bit recently due to the supply chain shortages in the industry. Your SR+ about 2-3 months ago would have been about 30k but they have gone about about 5k. I have an 2019 SR+ with 20k miles that was $32k from Carvana a couple months ago, I refreshed the offer last week and it is $36,965, which is what I paid for it after the $3,750 tax credit.

Once the supply catches up the prices will fall back in line a bit. Keep in mind the SR/SR+ are the least expensive Tesla models so they do not take as big of a depreciation hit as folks are still willing to pay in the $30k range to get into a used Model 3. That said, I also have a 2019 Model 3 Performance with only 7k miles and they do not hold their value as well. About 3 months ago I was offered $41k from Carvana and now it is up to $47k but the M3P was almost $60k minus the $3,750 tax credit. So, not terrible but not great either. I thought about unloading it an waiting for the Cybertruck but I really enjoy driving the M3P, there is nothing really out on the market that can do everything as well as it can.

• Informative
Reactions: A2be
704B7B04-700A-4A03-BD0D-7965AFD76D53.png

This thread is the epitome of what's wrong with the TMC marketplace.

Guy lists a car for sale (which is a rarity in and of itself right now) & tells you what he's willing to take for his car. He didn't ask for any input on the list price and even made it known he was firm on the price and not interested in anything else. Bunch of tire kickers proceed to disrespectfully trash his thread publicly with their unsolicited input. As if anyone asked for their "expertise" on the subject.

If it's too high, simply send a legitimate offer via PM or move along.

This thread is the epitome of what's wrong with the TMC marketplace.

Guy lists a car for sale (which is a rarity in and of itself right now) & tells you what he's willing to take for his car. He didn't ask for any input on the list price and even made it known he was firm on the price and not interested in anything else. Bunch of tire kickers proceed to disrespectfully trash his thread publicly with their unsolicited input. As if anyone asked for their "expertise" on the subject.

If it's too high, simply send a legitimate offer via PM or move along.

Thanks Ostrichsak! I haven't posted on forums in a long time but I have been watching how the online culture has been changing. It's crazy to me that people will spend time in their day to attack others on the forums. This is unfortunately the direction the world is going in but that is another debate. I didn't mean to offend or disrespect anyone by posting it for that price. My situation is exactly how you described it, I have a reservation for Plaid that is going to be ready soon and according to analysis of my own financials, it is my decision that I will only move forward with the Plaid if I can let this car go for $80k (or close). This does not mean that I am forcing another person to purchase my car at that price. The car may be overpriced and may never sell. In that case, I am happy to keep it. I respect others' facts (even opinions) that it is overpriced which is why I am not going back and forth with anyone. I understand where you guys are coming from.

Reactions: A2be
My friend recently listed his home for 65K over what his realtor was going to list it for, got his asking price in the first weekend, not one person said anything negative...
I've bought and sold half a dozen used Model S's now and I've made tens of thousands of dollars more than people said they were worth. Every owner months later still loves their car & is happy with their purchase. I don't list cars or anything else here anymore because it's not worth the headache.

The sooner this forum cracks down on people that are obviously trying to trash for sale threads for their own gain the better of a place it will be for the other 99% of the community.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks Ostrichsak! I haven't posted on forums in a long time but I have been watching how the online culture has been changing. It's crazy to me that people will spend time in their day to attack others on the forums. This is unfortunately the direction the world is going in but that is another debate. I didn't mean to offend or disrespect anyone by posting it for that price. My situation is exactly how you described it, I have a reservation for Plaid that is going to be ready soon and according to analysis of my own financials, it is my decision that I will only move forward with the Plaid if I can let this car go for $80k (or close). This does not mean that I am forcing another person to purchase my car at that price. The car may be overpriced and may never sell. In that case, I am happy to keep it. I respect others' facts (even opinions) that it is overpriced which is why I am not going back and forth with anyone. I understand where you guys are coming from.
You don't have to justify your listing price to anybody. This is America. You can list it for $387,000 if you please & don't have to explain a dollar of that.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Teezy
I'd say it's overpriced but that might be an understatement.

Plenty out there in the 70k range.

Best of luck.
That one and another 2016.5 in VA for 69k have been in an accident. OPs S has cooled front seats, MCU and HW upgraded, and 21s. Thats a nice S, should make a new owner very happy. GLWS OP

Accident Check 1 Accident reported

Last edited:
Does anyone know why dealers and even Tesla are trying to sell a used 2019 Model X Long Range Plus for $90K-$95K+?
It makes no sense since you could easily buy a brand new Model X (with the new interior design) for almost the same price... I'm so confused.

You don't have to justify your listing price to anybody. This is America. You can list it for $387,000 if you please & don't have to explain a dollar of that.
Amen to that!

I find it interesting that no one wants any feedback on what other similar vehicles are selling for. If this bothers people so much then don't post your vehicle here.

If the mods really cared about feedback on postings they would make all for sale posts read-only after the OP lists their vehicle for sale and if you are interested you PM the OP and that's all.

Since that hasn't happened it sounds like the feedback and what some might call trolling, flaming, etc. help to drive traffic to the forums and at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Amen to that!

I find it interesting that no one wants any feedback on what other similar vehicles are selling for. If this bothers people so much then don't post your vehicle here.

If the mods really cared about feedback on postings they would make all for sale posts read-only after the OP lists their vehicle for sale and if you are interested you PM the OP and that's all.

Since that hasn't happened it sounds like the feedback and what some might call trolling, flaming, etc. help to drive traffic to the forums and at the end of the day that's what it's all about.
Pretty toxic attitude man. I can see a need for someone calling out a scam or fact checking sales but we dont need a referee to tell people what prices "should" be.