Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These tariffs and potential trade war are ill conceived. They will boost already looming increases in inflation and interest rates. That will hurt both the bond and stock markets. Nearly ninety years ago they contributed to an horrendous stock market crash and the Great Depression. This nations's founding fathers knew better and made certain that tariffs among states were disallowed in the Constitution.

Free trade benefits all nations. Protectionism temporarily benefits certain industries before its wider harms suffocate everyone. Today I wrote the three people who represent me in Congress and asked them not to support tariffs and a trade war. You may want to do the same.

Just a snatch of TV news about the tariffs. Papafox will do better, but as usual the undigested news exaggerates swings. I think most of the tariff stuff will be challenged in WTO and then sanity will prevail, but that will take time. Also, CNN or Bloomberg, I don't remember since my wife was channel surfing at the time, suggested all the prez's advisors argued against the tariff increase. We shall see once things settle down.

Agree completely with the idea economic autarchy a bad idea. When the dollar crisis of the 60s came to our consciousness I wrote a paper for the international economics class I was taking for my Ph.D. The idea was to do a retrospective on our balance of trade situation had Keynes' plan for an international center bank been instituted after WWII rather than the more U.S. dominated LIEO (liberal international economic order). All the Marshall Plan aid and economic aid to other countries would have been repaid by, in effect, as loans to the central bank, by the 1960s.

I think we are seeing again why simpleton ideas about international greatness are all too readily confused with isolationism. Unfortunately, perfectly good companies like Tesla will be penalized along with others less worthy and the entire economy will stutter on.

I think most of the tariff stuff will be challenged in WTO and then sanity will prevail, but that will take time.

Unless we pull out of the WTO.

Trump wants to use trade not to promote global prosperity and democracy

But in the same way China does. To use America's market size to make trade deals that maximize benefits to the US at the expense of everyone else.

Caribbean Basin Initiative to reduce extreme poverty on Caribbean Islands? Nope, eliminate poverty in Harlem and Appalachia first. That has a certain voter appeal.

For over fifty years I've firmly believed the long run self interest of all is the public good. Promoting global prosperity and democracy is closely correlated with the post WWII generation growth in GNP and the middle class. It's only when renters took control of the economy that the middle class was slowly strangled beginning in the 70s.

Unless we pull out of the WTO.

Trump wants to use trade not to promote global prosperity and democracy

But in the same way China does. To use America's market size to make trade deals that maximize benefits to the US at the expense of everyone else.

Caribbean Basin Initiative to reduce extreme poverty on Caribbean Islands? Nope, eliminate poverty in Harlem and Appalachia first. That has a certain voter appeal.

Its the old attempt that works well with less informed people: giving a simple solution for a complex matter and pretend it works.

Most people here I believe are fully aware that tariffs create the opposite of wealth and prosperity as no country lives isolated and the good old physics of action and reaction applies here as well. Fully agree to what Curt said!

Tariffs may even create a net negative for the poor people in the US instead helping them. As Hope admitted to have been lying, politicians are tempted to do it because trying to argue against a simple lie is complex and people don't want long and complex answers even if they are true..... You can only solve that issue with education and information.

I-PACE Electric Concept Vehicle Overview | Jaguar Canada

Thursday, March 1st, 1pm EST Reveal of Jaguar I-PACE here:
Jaguar Canada

It is great that we are starting to see some serious competition. IMHO I believe this will only increase exposure to EVs and benefit Tesla. I love the I-PACE design, however the specs (239mi range, 90kWh lithium battery, dual motor, 0-60km/hr in 4 seconds) don't match the S or X or even the M3 in range. It's a good start for Jaguar and I wish them success. It will be interesting to see how much I-PACE will cost and when they will be scheduled for mass production. Transforming one automotive company at a time. The World is a'changing.
Watched the IPACE reveal. Very surprised on the negative side. It was like a cross between a cheesy gong show and a late night infomercial. Showed nothing of the interior, released no specs except charge times, no pricing information, nothing on availability, range of 300mi however most likely European standards which are quite lower than US and stated 4.4 seconds for 0-60mi.
Jaguar
And at the 15:30 mark they race a IPACE against a MX 75D and MX 100D and guess what, the IPACE wins both MX. If I was in Tesla's legal department I would be sending a defamation claim against Jaguar. I don't understand why the big auto makers don't thank Tesla for encouraging them to make EVs and bringing in the future rather than taking jabs at Tesla. Well, I do. They are jealous and inferior and quite frankly, scared.
And I take back what I said about liking the appearance of the IPACE. Looking at the IPACE and MX side by side, it is MX all the way.
Daniel

Consumer Reports new video, 20 minutes, all on the Model 3,

Comments section again has plenty of level 10 attempts to say the car and Tesla are awful.

CR really liked how the car drives, but, they went kind of overboard on some criticisms, particularly the credit card size backup key... one of the three hosts concluded that, touching it to the door with the card to open it and touching a spot on the center console to turn the car on are so undesirable, that if you don't own a smart phone, you shouldn't buy this car. Granted he was probably kidding around, but, he said it, and it's quite silly... people can handle traditional physical keys, and the card is no more difficult- just toss out the car because of this? One of the other two hosts did push back on this some.

That was a great video until the I-pace beat the Model X100D at the 0-60.
Looks like the I-pace will be a decent vehicle but the X100D's 0-60 is much quicker so the Tesla driver must have been doing a poor job. They could have made a realistic video and still sold me.... but they didn't. Now I have to ask myself why?

Actualy IPace is listed at 4.5 and Model X 100D is listed at 4.7. But that aside, this car is tiny compared to the Model X and has range comparable to the X 75D. Its also interesting that the top speed is only 120Mph so it seems like its built to beat the model X in 0-60, but Imagine both would beat it in the Quarter mile. The Ipace is probably 1000lbs lighter as well because its actually a bit smaller then a model 3. There has been a lot of talk about price, but really no one knows what the price is. But it is more then likely about the same price as an X 75D. I guess if you want an Bolt sized vehicle for the price of a Model X, then you are good to go.

Actualy IPace is listed at 4.5 and Model X 100D is listed at 4.7. But that aside, this car is tiny compared to the Model X and has range comparable to the X 75D. Its also interesting that the top speed is only 120Mph so it seems like its built to beat the model X in 0-60, but Imagine both would beat it in the Quarter mile. The Ipace is probably 1000lbs lighter as well because its actually a bit smaller then a model 3. There has been a lot of talk about price, but really no one knows what the price is. But it is more then likely about the same price as an X 75D. I guess if you want an Bolt sized vehicle for the price of a Model X, then you are good to go.

Bolt size for the price of a Model X. Agreed. Bolt at least arrived a year before the Model 3, and still failed miserably. I-PACE is DOA.

the X100D's 0-60 is much quicker so the Tesla driver must have been doing a poor job.

The X100D’s stated 0-60 is 4.7 seconds.

The I-Pace’s stated 0-60 is 4.5 seconds.

I wish people would stop criticizing the I-Pace. It will take buyers away from ICE SUVs, and virtually none from Model X. I don’t like SUVs, but lots of people do, and the Model X is too big or too expensive for them. I-Pace gives them a smaller, cheaper option. The Kona and Niro EVs will give them even cheaper (though much less performance options).

The more people driving EV SUVs now means more people who will be ready when the Model Y rolls out.

The X100D’s stated 0-60 is 4.7 seconds.

The I-Pace’s stated 0-60 is 4.5 seconds.

I wish people would stop criticizing the I-Pace. It will take buyers away from ICE SUVs, and virtually none from Model X. I don’t like SUVs, but lots of people do, and the Model X is too big or too expensive for them. I-Pace gives them a smaller, cheaper option. The Kona and Niro EVs will give them even cheaper (though much less performance options).

The more people driving EV SUVs now means more people who will be ready when the Model Y rolls out.
I hope the i-Pace sells well, then Tesla announces the MY, which will match/beat i-Pace spec and be priced $25K lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.